Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car lock and Key issue

Weird experience. Left work, approached car and touch the handle as usual to open and no response. Pressed Key fob and no response. Panic set in. YouTube to the rescue. Used manual Key, insert and turn, all alarm went off. Second panic. Door won't budge. Managed to get in and start car. Alarm stopped. Drove home. Turn off the car and closed the door. Pressed Key fob, car locked. Pressed again and doors opened. Now very worried whether this will be a routine occurrence. Car just had its first service a couple of days ago.

• Sad 1

I had a mild-panic the other morning but it turned out to just be me thankfully... I went to the car on the driveway but it wasn't unlocking. I tried every door... A 'heart in throat' moment for sure. It was only at this point I felt down to my coat pocket and realised I'd left the key in the kitchen. 😳🤦‍♂️ In my defence, it was little after 6:30am on a cold, thoroughly wet morning and I'd only had about three, maybe three and a half hours' sleep the previous night! 

Anyway @Starlight, I'm really hoping I don't end up in that situation as I'm one of those who only has one complete key and a second 'key blade'. If my Battery was to ever fail, I'd be screwed. It's in the back of my mind because in my previous car (UX), that key went through two batteries in the three and a half years I had it. Until that point, I'd never had to replace a Battery in a key before... 

3 minutes ago, Gary H said:

I had a mild-panic the other morning but it turned out to just be me thankfully... I went to the car on the driveway but it wasn't unlocking. I tried every door... A 'heart in throat' moment for sure. It was only at this point I felt down to my coat pocket and realised I'd left the key in the kitchen. 😳🤦‍♂️ In my defence, it was little after 6:30am on a cold, thoroughly wet morning and I'd only had about three, maybe three and a half hours' sleep the previous night! 

Anyway @Starlight, I'm really hoping I don't end up in that situation as I'm one of those who only has one complete key and a second 'key blade'. If my battery was to ever fail, I'd be screwed. It's in the back of my mind because in my previous car (UX), that key went through two batteries in the three and a half years I had it. Until that point, I'd never had to replace a battery in a key before... 

In theory they change the key Battery at each service. Personally, having experienced a flat key Battery before I change mine every year, just to be safe. I also keep spare batteries in the car.

My Battery lasted 11 month and two weeks before it gave up. The dealer replaced it at the service and I was told that 'they had put a stronger battery' in it! I'm not familiar with what a 'stronger battery' might look like! I was fortunate in that I received two fobs with my car so I was able to use the spare for the 2 weeks before the service was due. Prior to my NX, I have only had to replace one fob Battery and that was after 4 years of use.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

My battery lasted 11 month and two weeks before it gave up. The dealer replaced it at the service and I was told that 'they had put a stronger battery' in it! I'm not familiar with what a 'stronger battery' might look like! I was fortunate in that I received two fobs with my car so I was able to use the spare for the 2 weeks before the service was due. Prior to my NX, I have only had to replace one fob battery and that was after 4 years of use.

Can You get an Alternative Key fob Battery  ( CR2032 ) Which is more Powerfull  Never heard of an Alternative Battery..!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Can You get an Alternative Key fob Battery  ( CR2032 ) Which is more Powerfull  Never heard of an Alternative battery..!!

They probably just meant a good quality Battery.

You can also buy them quite cheaply and I would assume that they are not quite as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Can You get an Alternative Key fob Battery  ( CR2032 ) Which is more Powerfull  Never heard of an Alternative battery..!!

You do get batteries of the same voltage and size with different mAh (milliamps per hour), the higher the rating the longer it lasts.
A quick Google

"The CR2032 Battery has a voltage of 3 volts and a capacity of up to 240mAh, depending on manufacturer specifications."

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links