Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trolley Jack

Boomer54

Not being an expert on the subject I wondered will any trolley jack rated for 2 tons and upwards work for the SC 430? My concern was not the weight, but whether all jacks would actually fit safely under the skirtings of the car. The question is only in my mind because someone I met yesterday had 3 jacks and he commented that one was specifically for his MX5 as it was low to the ground. Made me wonder if I should have any such concerns regarding getting a suitable jack  for the SC 430.

Any pointers that you know work would be appreciated.

Whenever I haven't been able to get a trolley jack underneath, I have two short lengths of scaffold planks that I drive over to raise the car on that side. Most jacks will then go under. Always use a puck as well on the jack to save damage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Whenever I haven't been able to get a trolley jack underneath, I have two short lengths of scaffold planks that I drive over to raise the car on that side. Most jacks will then go under. Always use a puck as well on the jack to save damage.

Thanks, yes ,good catch. Inch may be two at most would do it. I do have wood, oh do I have wood....great tip.

For clarity, I will be using the jack front and back ,not sides ,so is a puck still necessary?

14 minutes ago, VFR said:

Thanks for that. That jack has a max rise of 19" which is good so ideally I would like a set of 4 ramps that have a height just slightly below that. May be 16 to 18"? Does this sound about right ?

Obviously I am trying to create as much working space underneath as I can safely get.

I’ve been using a 1.25 ton alloy jack on all my Lexus cars over the last fews years.

why 1.25 ton…well I’m only jacking one end of the car at a time, so no need for a jack capable of lifting the whole car .

It’s only used to jack vehicle up, as I ALWAYS put quick release axle stands under the vehicle…however big or small the job.

IMG_6811.jpeg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Thanks for that. That jack has a max rise of 19" which is good so ideally I would like a set of 4 ramps that have a height just slightly below that. May be 16 to 18"? Does this sound about right ?

Obviously I am trying to create as much working space underneath as I can safely get.

Can see the car ramps are not going to be that height. Hydraulic one's look to get more height, but are more expensive albeit I suppose one does not then need a jack. If you just work one end of the car at a time you could by the look of it get away with just a pair pf the hydraulic jacks. Anyone used these and do they feel stable.

2 minutes ago, Bob King said:

I’ve been using a 1.25 ton alloy Jack on all my Lexus cars over the last fews years.

why 1.25 ton…well I’m only jacking one end of the car at a time, so no need for a jack capable of lifting the whole car .

It’s only used to Jack vehicle up, as I ALWAYS put quick release axle stands under the vehicle…however big or small the job.

IMG_6811.jpeg

What sort of working height have you got there Bob ?

20 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

What sort of working height have you got there Bob ?

Once on stands I can add one or two blocks of wood, then readjust  the axle stand height .

The height has been good enough to do service, suspension, brake work and also to paint/ spray suspension and floor.

I lay on large pieces of cardboard so don’t have to include the thickness of a crawler board, when jacking up .

• Thanks 1

Max Height of jack is 370mm, then I can use one or two 100mm blacks of wood to increase height …then resettle on axle stands again .

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctj1250ac-125-tonne-aluminium-trolley-j/

jack goes easy under SC430, with little pumps until it starts to lift, then large larger pumps to get required height.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Ouch, why are machine mart so expensive.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-1.5-tonne-aluminium-trolley-jack-539390.html

and Gold members get a discount at Halfords too.

I bought it in 2016…think it was about £90.00 then 😮

i wanted the red twin hydraulic pump action one but was out of my reach.

Having had a fairly cheap trolley jack collapse on me, I decided I would buy a high quality 3 ton long reach one from a highly regarded firm.  I probably spent more than I needed to.but I have used it with confidence on a number of cars.  the make is 'Compac' and I paid around £300 for but it's a bit more now. https://www.jbsequipment.co.uk/garage-equipment/351-compac-trolley-jacks-5-20-ton-truck-bus-equipment-jacks-presses.html

Oh my ……. wot ‘appnd to my suggestion to rent a little time on a garage ramp …… and save that 999 call to A&E 🤔

Buying that trolley jack £££££ cost might equate to garage ramp rent time you know ! 

We’ll miss your Posts you know 😰
Malc 

20 hours ago, Bob King said:

It’s only used to Jack vehicle up, as I ALWAYS put quick release axle stands under the vehicle…however big or small the job.

Surely in most circumstances this is the only sensible way to use a trolley jack!

Omit the axle stands only if you’re in a hurry to cut the catalytic converter out.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Oh my ……. wot ‘appnd to my suggestion to rent a little time on a garage ramp …… and save that 999 call to A&E 🤔

Buying that trolley jack £££££ cost might equate to garage ramp rent time you know ! 

We’ll miss your Posts you know 😰
Malc 

If the car falls on my head we should all be concerned for the car.

• Haha 1

It goes without saying that axle stands should be used but I had a situation recently where I needed to move a 'dead' car further away from a wall and used the front central jacking position to raise the car slightly while using a scissor jack suitably packed and sideways to thrust the wheel from the wall, then repeated the process for the rear end.  Because of the side force exerted on the lifting jack it had to be frequently repositioned but it did the job.  You can buy wheel movers that are placed under the wheels but not necessary for a single use.  I remained clear of the car at all times so no problem. 

• Like 1

I think if people with far more experience than me think a 1.25 ton jack and two adjustable axel stands offer a safe platform to work the underbody then I am not going to overthink it , or second guess their experience. Buying the kit either on Black Friday or running into it. Keen to get going on my job list. Searching for a well reputed coach builder with good experience of working with Aluminium. Going to get best information on taking the roof to polished Aluminium. Just need to know the full implications going into it.

• Like 1

When you have had a 2ton hydraulic trolley jack fail and also on another occasion a near new 2ton Bottle jack fail (the latter I recall when used on a 350SE Mercedes), it makes you rather careful. I actually welded additional bracing into my axle stands also plus put a spare wheel under the car for good measure when working underneath.

I guess I am a bit paranoid about such things having had an uncomfortable experience with an up and over door many years ago.  Another guy and I were entering a lock up with double width up and over door and it collapsed as we entered.  Fortunately, we both threw up our hands which helped break the fall and I have never trusted the nasty things ever since, so replaced with top quality electric roller shutters. 

• Like 2

Guess it’s the old story…you’re  only as good as the tools you use 😮

as a youngster I would of had cheap and cheerful….now buy the best I can and put safety first 👍🏻

Used trolley jacks and axle stand in my motor trader days …yet I have see all too often, cars on bricks, pallets etc …or a guy working under a car with just a jack 😳

Sadly also heard about some injuries when a jack collapses ☹️☹️

On 11/13/2023 at 1:30 PM, Boomer54 said:

I think if people with far more experience than me think a 1.25 ton jack and two adjustable axel stands offer a safe platform to work the underbody then I am not going to overthink it , or second guess their experience. Buying the kit either on Black Friday or running into it. Keen to get going on my job list. Searching for a well reputed coach builder with good experience of working with Aluminium. Going to get best information on taking the roof to polished Aluminium. Just need to know the full implications going into it.

I do not know what I am replying to here trolley Jack's or polished alloy roofs😄 considering I had  8 wheels and tyres that were refurbished twice that car has been up and down  more times than a whores draws, using an scs hydraulic jack and 2 axle stands from same place,, stands and jack  cost less than £50 and never let me down,  the roof polishing, don't  forget even if you polished the roof you would find filler under the paint and you will not be able to polish that, what about having just the roof wrapped, carbon fibre,  leather, chrome, whatever takes your fancy 😉 

Below is the roof prior to paintIMG-20220412-WA0018.thumb.jpg.03ba9f1469577d60d87944da1502b64a.jpgIMG-20220412-WA0019.thumb.jpg.cf98d92095f855b06da479a5a5909b8c.jpg

57 minutes ago, Localhero said:

I do not know what I am replying to here trolley Jack's or polished alloy roofs😄 considering I had  8 wheels and tyres that were refurbished twice that car has been up and down  more times than a whores draws, using an scs hydraulic jack and 2 axle stands from same place,, stands and jack  cost less than £50 and never let me down,  the roof polishing, don't  forget even if you polished the roof you would find filler under the paint and you will not be able to polish that, what about having just the roof wrapped, carbon fibre,  leather, chrome, whatever takes your fancy 😉 

Below is the roof prior to paintIMG-20220412-WA0018.thumb.jpg.03ba9f1469577d60d87944da1502b64a.jpgIMG-20220412-WA0019.thumb.jpg.cf98d92095f855b06da479a5a5909b8c.jpg

Thanks Stew. Didn't know about the filler. Think that kills the idea of polished Aluminium roof . Unless it's all central to the roof in which case I could create a trompe l'oeil to cover it . Something that fools the eye into thinking it is seeing an intelligent man. No, this would never work.

trompe.jpg

• Haha 1

Coming back to this Aluminium roof I find it hard to give up the idea . Looking for a work around of using something with the Aluminium that would cover any areas that were filled. For lord knows what reason I started thinking aircraft ....

Spitfire engine cowling - Bing images

spitfire.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links