Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Conditioning

Two months in with my UX, I am slightly surprised there is no physical button to turn the air conditioning on and off.  Most of the time I like the climate control on, to provide heating and ventilation, but the air con off unless it is hot weather or I need a lot of demisting.  Partly because the aircon dries out my eyes, and partly because I always believed aircon increased fuel consumption.

To turn it on or off I have to use the touchscreen - Car - Climate - AirCon which is three presses on the touchscreen and I find it distracting to do when driving.  I have tried using voice control - 'Turn off air conditioning' but this seems to shut down the whole ventilation system.

Am I missing something?

Harking back to my old IS200, it had the aircon button prominently on the top of the dashboard together with recirculation and heated rear window.

• Like 1

By the way, I absolutely wouldn’t recommend turning it off ever as these late models have nanoe-x facility which does add moisture to the air.  Leaving it controls the environment and you’ll never have misted windows by leaving it on.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Don C said:

Am I misunderstanding this.  I’ve got a 23 UX (22 black badge) and it has an off button.  You press any other appropriate button to turn it back on???

IMG_5631.jpeg

The off button is to turn off the fan, and it also turns off the ac. To turn the fan on again you press upwards the button with the fan icon and the up and down arrows.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gdamorini said:

The off button is to turn off the fan, and it also turns off the ac. To turn the fan on again you press upwards the button with the fan icon and the up and down arrows.

I’ve tried it in mine (latest version) and the button only goes down, it won’t go up.  You have to press another button to get it back on.  

2 hours ago, Don C said:

I’ve tried it in mine (latest version) and the button only goes down, it won’t go up.  You have to press another button to get it back on.  

I did not mean the off button, but the second one to the right of the off button

Schermata 2023-11-17 alle 15.35.22.png

Even if I had a 'AC' button I would leave it on anyway as the best way to stop misting up.

I'm not sure why and although I have checked the car for damp, this passed week or so my rear screen has been very heavily condensed! The rear screen demister seems to take an eternity to clear it but it does clear eventually. Maybe it's just the 'Season of Mellow Fruitfulness' having its way!

I always leave mine on Auto 21-22 and that works well for me.  Sometimes in the summer I will have the drivers window down and then I turn the AC off as its pointless having it on and I can't say I have really noticed any MPG hit (Gen 4 Prius) whether I use the AC or not.

Not sure if the UX is the same, but on mine each press of the Auto button cycles between 'Eco', 'Fast' and normal and is shown in small text in the display, but but nothing shows in the display when in the normal mode.  I also have a separate button marked AC which can switch off the compressor.

53 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Leaving the aircon on continuously is the best way to maintain it and prevent any gas leaks.

This is what I do and I don’t worry about the 5 to 10% efficiency loss. However some people are more sensitive to AC and the effect it has on their eyes and skin so this may not be an option, even after making sure the vents are directed away from the face or having nanoe technology.

Thanks for all the comments.  Further experimentation seems to show there are multiple buttons which will turn the A/C back on, but the only way to turn it off is on the touchscreen - Car - Climate - AirCon.

Lexus obviously doesn't want me to turn it off.  Ah well, looks like I've just got to live with it on all the time.  I think it is called 'progress'.

17 hours ago, johdhm said:

Thanks for all the comments.  Further experimentation seems to show there are multiple buttons which will turn the A/C back on, but the only way to turn it off is on the touchscreen - Car - Climate - AirCon.

Lexus obviously doesn't want me to turn it off.  Ah well, looks like I've just got to live with it on all the time.  I think it is called 'progress'.

Don’t you have the off button pointed out above?  What model have you got?

Oops - didn't mean to re-post.

I meant to respond to Don C - yes, I have the Off button, but this turns off the whole ventilation system or at least the climate control.  Being perverse I like to climate control on and aircon off most of the year.

On 11/17/2023 at 5:52 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

I’ve just noticed, switches that go up and down have two lines on the edge, switches that just go down have one. Attention to detail or what?

Also, switches that go up and down have a line of protruding dots on the upper and lower surfaces. Whereas switches that move only down don't have.

This makes it easier to find the switches without having to look for them.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, johdhm said:

Two months in with my UX, I am slightly surprised there is no physical button to turn the air conditioning on and off.  Most of the time I like the climate control on, to provide heating and ventilation, but the air con off unless it is hot weather or I need a lot of demisting.  Partly because the aircon dries out my eyes, and partly because I always believed aircon increased fuel consumption.

To turn it on or off I have to use the touchscreen - Car - Climate - AirCon which is three presses on the touchscreen and I find it distracting to do when driving.  I have tried using voice control - 'Turn off air conditioning' but this seems to shut down the whole ventilation system.

Am I missing something?

Harking back to my old IS200, it had the aircon button prominently on the top of the dashboard together with recirculation and heated rear window.

I don't think your missing anything at all, it was one of the first things in noticed, i would much rather have the window or sunroof open unless, as you say it's very hot day, It seems that Lexus has decided for us on this issue.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:57 PM, stevewagster said:

I don't think your missing anything at all, it was one of the first things in noticed, i would much rather have the window or sunroof open unless, as you say it's very hot day, It seems that Lexus has decided for us on this issue.

It seems equally bewildering to me that anybody would want to go back in time rather than benefit from a modern highly efficient system with Nanoe-x capability.  They use this system not only to microscopically moisturise skin but to eradicate airborne disease from hospitals.  It can stabilise the temperature from sub zero to record high and completely prevent misted windows but only if it is left switched on.  We’re all different I suppose.  I’m thinking of fitting drum brakes and disconnecting the power steering on mine.

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Don C said:

I’m thinking of fitting drum brakes and disconnecting the power steering on mine.

I was thinking of asking them to fit the rubber grommet thingie that I had to the left of the clutch pedal in my first Ford Fiesta that I pushed to control the winscreen washers. That was quite fun 🙂

12 hours ago, Martin Bailey said:

I was thinking of asking them to fit the rubber grommet thingie that I had to the left of the clutch pedal in my first Ford Fiesta that I pushed to control the winscreen washers. That was quite fun 🙂

I remember them well.  They worked quite well actually.   

11 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Don't forget the starting handle too 😉

Haha, yes, I shouldn’t mock really, it’s up to Stephen if he doesn’t want it on.  My Mrs prefers the sun roof open.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links