Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ fuel tank capacity? Missing 23 litres…

Hello

My NX was down to only one fuel bar remaining, showing a range of approx 40 miles. When I filled up, only 32 litres would go into the tank before it stopped, and I triple checked, and it kept clicking out as it was full. My fuel tank then showed full.

But the fuel tank is meant to be 55 litres, so where have my other 23 litres gone….?

Anyone experienced anything similar please?

Clearly not missing at all ……. Just remember when one bar left it’s plus 23 ltrs and lots more miles for you 😄

On my Ls400s the orange bar showing to “ fill up “ has about 100 miles remaining …….. my tank holds 85ltrs 

Malc 

A similar strange thing happened when I took my car in for the last recall. In the morning I left the car with 206 miles of petrol plus around 25 electric, when I collected it p.m. it showed 103 plus electric, so complained but no solution. I  tried to start the ice in case it needed resetting but no difference, the petrol milage went down accordingly. Next time I filled up with £20 it went nearly full, so obviously the missing milage reappeared? 

(We are ither alone or not alone......)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tickedon said:

Hello

My NX was down to only one fuel bar remaining, showing a range of approx 40 miles. When I filled up, only 32 litres would go into the tank before it stopped, and I triple checked, and it kept clicking out as it was full. My fuel tank then showed full.

But the fuel tank is meant to be 55 litres, so where have my other 23 litres gone….?

Anyone experienced anything similar please?

Twice now I have had this exact situation after two repeat journeys from Southampton to North Wales and back.  EV Range at ZERO,  fuel guage on one bar and range showing 50 to 55 miles.  When filing up both times the tank took 25 litres and 27 litres.

I am going to have to see realistically how far the last bar on the guage will get me and see if that resets the Range estimate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hillie said:

Twice now I have had this exact situation after two repeat journeys from Southampton to North Wales and back.  EV Range at ZERO,  fuel guage on one bar and range showing 50 to 55 miles.  When filing up both times the tank took 25 litres and 27 litres.

I am going to have to see realistically how far the last bar on the guage will get me and see if that resets the Range estimate.

hahahaha 🤩.  Inevitable PANIC will set in and you’ll be on tenterhooks till the very end of your experiment ….. are you a gambling man 😂

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hillie said:

I’ve been thinking the same.

Does anyone know if the car will still start and run if it has EV charge but no petrol? I was thinking that might be one way to safely experiment and see how far one can go on the last fuel bar…

• Like 4

Had a couple of long trips lately.

Took the fuel gauge down to one bar and 20 miles of range, car then took 35 litres (+3l on previous fill) on next fill up.

This emboldened me, yesterday, to run the range to zero and keep going. 20 miles past zero (range now showing “refuel”) and zero bars… resulting in getting 40 litres into the tank. With 15 litres still “missing”, it seems I could have pushed a lot further than just 20 miles…

Each time, I’ve been rewarded with higher range figures appearing on the dash (broken through 400 for the first time today!). it seems like I’ll need to find trips where I can get the car to zero or close enough, and that each time this seems to enable a bit more fuel to be used and thus replenished - which the car seems, somewhere, to notice and realise. 

This will hopefully get me back to 50ish litres, but, doesn’t explain what’s caused this to happen….

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, Hillie said:

Hi,

I have an NX450 also which was manucatured in end of 2022, and I experienced the same, everytime when I refill the tank it's only 35-38 Liter that is goint into the tank, and it show 615km range. First I thought the fuel indicator is wrong or the computer shows wrong consumption data. Then one year later we bought an other NX450 which was manufactured during the summer in 2023, we got the car at this month. My first trip was to a gas station, I filled the tank 52 liter went in, I didn't noticed first, but then I saw on the dashboard that the HV range is 900km. This was the point where I realised that something is not right with the other car, I went back to the dealership and I was surprised because Lexus and Toyota knows about this problem. There was a batch of car that manufactured in 2022 where this issue egzist. They are working on the solution, they have to modify something with the gas tank, because there is an air bouble somehow during the filling process which cause the problem, this is the reason why we can't fully fill the tank.
I'm a bit ****** because the proactivly not communicated this.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I also have the same issue.  I never got down to 0 on the fuel range, but the light is on and bars gone: and yet 35 ltrs only for fill up, and this has happened numerous times (only fill up fully when going on long trips).  Last week travelled about 330 miles, with barely any EV range left, and still only used 35 litres.  Even my dog can work out there is another 20ltrs left in the car, and unless it is turning physics on its head and thinking that as the car gets lighter its range goes down, clearly the computer is an idiot (or rather the coders are).  When I took delivery of the car, the indicated petrol range was well over 500 miles (I thought it must have included the EV range to provide an overall total).  Now, the highest range I get is about 440 miles.  I don't mind the car being cautious about ensuring a certain amount of fuel as a last ditch reservoir, but it is keeping well over a third of the tank capacity.  If they were so keen to reduce weight that they didn't allow a panoramic roof or Mark Levinson system on my 'top of the range' model, why are they making me drive around with at least 10 litres of petrol which I am not able to use without playing petrol bingo!

• Confused 1

Although not directly related to these issues. does anyone know if the fuel capacity for the NX450h is the same as for the NX350h?

I had my attention drawn to this possibility by a colleague who changed to a hybrid 5 Series BMW from a Diesel one. The fuel capacity was about 2/3rds of the Diesel.

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

Although not directly related to these issues. does anyone know if the fuel capacity for the NX450h is the same as for the NX350h?

I had my attention drawn to this possibility by a colleague who changed to a hybrid 5 Series BMW from a Diesel one. The fuel capacity was about 2/3rds of the Diesel.

Yes, both 350h and 450h+ have a 55l fuel tank.And yes, have seen the reduced fuel tank on PHEV's with other cars - but thankfully not this Lexus! (the RX does have a reduced tank - 55l on 450h+ PHEV vs 65l on hybrid 350h and 500h)

• 3 months later...

Hi, same issue here. 

I have even gone to 0 HV range and then driven 30 km further... only to be able to be able to fill 43 l (and that's even overflowing a little). This annoys me a lot. Maximum range I can get on the highway without EV is around 600 km and I guess about 10-15 l are still in the tank. This means many days I have to refuel twice. I have complained to the dealer and also the distributor and both say it is for my safety (¡!¡!¡!) and nothing can be done. Simply unacceptably poor coding IMHO

On 11/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Peter Lovasi said:

Hi,

I have an NX450 also which was manucatured in end of 2022, and I experienced the same, everytime when I refill the tank it's only 35-38 Liter that is goint into the tank, and it show 615km range. First I thought the fuel indicator is wrong or the computer shows wrong consumption data. Then one year later we bought an other NX450 which was manufactured during the summer in 2023, we got the car at this month. My first trip was to a gas station, I filled the tank 52 liter went in, I didn't noticed first, but then I saw on the dashboard that the HV range is 900km. This was the point where I realised that something is not right with the other car, I went back to the dealership and I was surprised because Lexus and Toyota knows about this problem. There was a batch of car that manufactured in 2022 where this issue egzist. They are working on the solution, they have to modify something with the gas tank, because there is an air bouble somehow during the filling process which cause the problem, this is the reason why we can't fully fill the tank.
I'm a bit ****** because the proactivly not communicated this.

Well, my RX is built in 2022 and I am missing around 12 litres.

Another mystery 😀

I can have a full tank of petrol, drive about 50 miles mainly using the engine, and still have 100% fuel showing on the app 🙈

• Like 1

Same problem: usually filling around 35 l when showing almost 0 km range. I have pushed the odds - 80 km on an "empty" tank and the result was 42,93 liters added. Theoretically, another, at least, 150 km, which brings us to min. 230 km range beyond "zero". Yesterday I asked the dealer about this and the answer was that this is a very known issue, but nothing to be done. This, together with some other evasive answers regarding the high level of the oil in the Carter and the very strange behavior of the multimedia system and the app drove me to the conclusion that the Europeans have no clue about what the Japaneses are doing with these cars. And I say this from the perspective of a guy who had asked German, Belgian and Romanian mechanics about the same things, receiving vague and partially different answers. But I will keep asking, who knows... 🙂🤔

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:46 PM, Ioan Dabura said:

Same problem: usually filling around 35 l when showing almost 0 km range. I have pushed the odds - 80 km on an "empty" tank and the result was 42,93 liters added. Theoretically, another, at least, 150 km, which brings us to min. 230 km range beyond "zero". Yesterday I asked the dealer about this and the answer was that this is a very known issue, but nothing to be done. This, together with some other evasive answers regarding the high level of the oil in the Carter and the very strange behavior of the multimedia system and the app drove me to the conclusion that the Europeans have no clue about what the Japaneses are doing with these cars. And I say this from the perspective of a guy who had asked German, Belgian and Romanian mechanics about the same things, receiving vague and partially different answers. But I will keep asking, who knows... 🙂🤔

Has to be the simplest software fix, but it's ridiculous to be this far out!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a longish trip where I filled up with 20 miles range showing and again only squeezed in 37 litres (so 18 litres / nearly 4 (UK) gallons short of the actual capacity).

So does anyone know if the fault is:

a)      tank has an air lock and you can never get the full 55 litres in so the car is actually near empty when it shows 20 miles range.
b)      tank never fully empties and we have 15 litres sloshing around that we could actually use if "brave" !

After filling up the car shows 450 miles HV range (0 EV), but I actually get 320 miles before its back to near empty again.  Trip computer shows around 45mpg on these trips.  This is a trip of mainly dual carriageways and motorways averaging 50-60 mph.

Car is now showing 24 miles HV range.  So if I can force it to run on petrol whilst having EV available I may be able to answer my own question...

21 minutes ago, dts439 said:

So if I can force it to run on petrol whilst having EV available

Sorry if you are already aware that by toggling the HV/EV button it should force the car to run in either of those modes. Having said that with the car in EV mode I and others have experienced the car running in HV when there’s enough EV charge remaining (this is to be expected according to the manual). Also I’ve noticed when in HV mode the car will occasionally drop into EV mode but this is mainly when going slightly downhill on a motorway or at low manoeuvring speeds. Hope you can solve the conundrum.

5 minutes ago, Xez said:

Sorry if you are already aware that by toggling the HV/EV button it should force the car to run in either of those modes. Having said that with the car in EV mode I and others have experienced the car running in HV when there’s enough EV charge remaining (this is to be expected according to the manual). Also I’ve noticed when in HV mode the car will occasionally drop into EV mode but this is mainly when going slightly downhill on a motorway or at low manoeuvring speeds. Hope you can solve the conundrum.

Thanks, will give it a go - not played with HV/EV for some time.  As you say it always seems to use EV at very low speed if it can.  Never quite got why it needs 2 separate buttons for HV/EV and Auto HV/EV.

19 minutes ago, dts439 said:

Thanks, will give it a go - not played with HV/EV for some time.  As you say it always seems to use EV at very low speed if it can.  Never quite got why it needs 2 separate buttons for HV/EV and Auto HV/EV.

It’s because there are quite a few options…

HV - hybrid, will fall into Ev as appropriate

Auto EV/HV - will switch between Ev and hybrid mode

EV only - will stick in EV mode as much as possible 

CRG - you hold the button down to select this - forces petrol engine to run and uses petrol to charge the Battery

I think there’s at least one more mode I’m forgetting, but I’m sure this is all in the manual somewhere.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links