Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do they make ES windscreens out of perspex...?

Mincey

32 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Tiff has a whistle appearing to come from the top right hand side of the windscreen at 70mph. As Tony the Tiger would say g-r-r-r-reat.....

It might be a pinhole or very small gap in the new screen sealant.I used to get similar in my MX5 where the folding roof rubbers must have contracted in cold wet weather...like we have at the moment.

• Thanks 1

My old Audi used to be a magnet for stone chips.

Purchased at 9 months old, the Audi branded windscreen had already gone with a replacement in situ(!). No cracks, and no issues during any MOTs, but had at least seven tiny chips on it before I paid my excess to get the screen replaced. It picked up two more tiny new chips in the year after. All from motorways, where my car spent most of its 88k miles while in my ownership! 

Thankfully my days of 20k miles driven per annum pre-Covid are now behind me, so will see how 12k miles ish per year treats my NX windscreen… 

50 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

It might be a pinhole or very small gap in the new screen sealant.I used to get similar in my MX5 where the folding roof rubbers must have contracted in cold wet weather...like we have at the moment.

Is there anything I can do or is it a return trip to Autoglass? I think this whistle has the potential to drive me nuts!

2 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Is there anything I can do or is it a return trip to Autoglass? I think this whistle has the potential to drive me nuts!

I suppose you could sing along to it that might help.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dippo said:

It's been there for quite a while already then?

If it sounds like 'the white cliffs of dover' then the answer is yes.

NB Many apologies pretty sure it isn't funny when you have it.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:54 PM, Barry14UK said:

I think there is a rule about lorries having guards to help reduce the incidence of thrown up stones breaking following vehicle windscreens.  This seems to be more effective in some cases than others.  I would like to see it mandatory for ALL vehicles to have such protection.  It would not completely stop  damage but but would certainly reduce it, 

I had a broken windscreen once from a stone thrown up by a local gravel lorry coming towards me and that was travelling way too fast around a bend (in a 30mph zone) through our village. I contacted the MD of the company and nicely put it to him that he should "have a word" with the drivers about speeding through the village and that it was only a few weeks since I have replaced the windscreen and so this was going to cost me another excess. The company replied offering apologies and said it would talk to drivers and sent me a cheque to cover the excess. I was happy with the outcome given the circumstances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

In the past I found my local Autoglass helpful in rectifying an issue - I guess if they aren't then you can involve your insurance company as they will be the ones paying the lions share of the bill (less your excess).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I would at least give them a ring to see what they say.And yes,it would drive you nuts.

2 hours ago, Dippo said:

It's been there for quite a while already then?

I only had it replaced the other week - yesterday was my first sustained high speed trip. It was windy but I took Tiff out today and the whistle is still there.

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

In the past I found my local Autoglass helpful in rectifying an issue - I guess if they aren't then you can involve your insurance company as they will be the ones paying the lions share of the bill (less your excess).

34 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

I would at least give them a ring to see what they say.And yes,it would drive you nuts.

Good advice - thanks both of you. I'll let you know how I get on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

I had a broken windscreen once from a stone thrown up by a local gravel lorry coming towards me and that was travelling way too fast around a bend (in a 30mph zone) through our village. I contacted the MD of the company and nicely put it to him that he should "have a word" with the drivers about speeding through the village and that it was only a few weeks since I have replaced the windscreen and so this was going to cost me another excess. The company replied offering apologies and said it would talk to drivers and sent me a cheque to cover the excess. I was happy with the outcome given the circumstances.

Could you post the name of the gravel lorry's company please. Just in case I have to replace my screen in the future. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

I only had it replaced the other week - yesterday was my first sustained high speed trip. It was windy but I took Tiff out today and the whistle is still there.

Could it be some trim that’s a bit awry rather than a glass problem ?

Malc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

I gave it a cursory glance earlier and everything looks pressed in correctly. I shall have a more thorough look in the morning. 

Could it be another vehicle whistling at Tiff, she does seem a bit of an attention seeker?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Could it be another vehicle whistling at Tiff, she does seem a bit of an attention seeker?

That's something I'd not considered. She is a bit of a trollop I will admit.

A test. Take an hair dryer out. Set to cold on high. Play it around the trim on the windscreen. Have someone inside follow you holding a very thin piece of paper. Doors shut obviously. See if the paper moves in response to the airflow from outside.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links