Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hotel ripoff

Dells

We are going to see our son & grandson in Manchester over Xmas period because we haven’t see them for so long but as they have a full house because they foster children we have had to book a hotel (Village Hotel)but we find after booking that there is a car park charge of £5 per day anything to get more money what a ripoff .

Dell

• Sad 1

Actually quite a common charge where parking is scarce. Almost all city/town centre hotels in spain charge about 15 euros per day for car parking on site. Only country hotels with lots of space do it for free. Normally best to book in advance as spaces can be limited and street parking is even more expensive and less secure.

2 hours ago, Dells said:

We are going to see our son & grandson in Manchester over Xmas period because we haven’t see them for so long but as they have a full house because they foster children we have had to book a hotel (Village Hotel)but we find after booking that there is a car park charge of £5 per day anything to get more money what a ripoff .

Dell

Totally Agree With You Dell..!!

Stayed at a hotel for the last two nights - £13 per night for parking in the hotel car park. There was free on street parking outside and around the hotel, so you make your choice. 

I regularly go to both Birmingham and Manchester, not unusual to have to pay up to £20 per night/day for parking. 

3 hours ago, Dells said:

Dell

Free parking if you signed up to be a Village hotel member (also free). No idea if you can sign up after your booking: https://www.village-hotels.co.uk/members-portal-login

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dells said:

Dell

You should have joined their membership club... I was already a member when I last booked the Village Hotel in Cheadle and was informed when I checked in that the parking was free to members.

I’ve never minded paying for hotel parking provided that it is guests-only and secure.

I can’t offhand recall ever having been asked to pay for open-access hotel parking in any country, though I know one or two hotels in Germany with reduced-rate reserved spaces for guests in adjoining public car-parks.  I don’t like the practice but at least the spaces have mechanical barriers and are CCTV-monitored by the hotel reception. 

In my experience you always had to pay for the hotel car park. Price can be ambitious to say the least, last time i paid 40 euro/day in amsterdam and 28 in Barcelona. Country side hotels will be cheaper of course. The real ripp off in hotels is the breakfast charge going as high as 35/40 per person. I spend a lot of time in hotels and never stop to be amazed. Another creative hidden cost is roomservice. when checking the bill afterwards it stated 10 euro DELIVERY charge. Now, how about that?

What I find amazing is hotels quoting their standard prices for rooms, meals etc when one try’s to book direct …… booking thru’ an Agent type business on line very often gets a much keener price …….. for the exact same 

I know, I own one of those online businesses and often pay @50% of the hotel ( package ) advertised prices 

Motto ….. don’t go to the hotel “ direct “ , go to other online booking providers and probably save money 

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

….The real ripp off in hotels is the breakfast charge …

You’re absolutely right about that.  The trouble is that my wife simply cannot face the day without breakfast, so that when we travel together, I inevitably end up with two breakfasts on the hotel bill.  When I travel alone (which is rare nowadays) I never take breakfast in the hotel but head for the nearest place where I can get served at a fairer price.  Believe it or not, I sometimes used to do this as a matter of principle even when travelling at company expense.  The thing about hotel breakfasts is that you can quite easily estimate the difference between the costs and the price of what you eat, and, as far as I’m concerned, gross margins that often look to be around 90% are difficult to accept regardless of the quality, class and location of the hotel.

• Like 1

I take a different viewpoint. Satisfy me and the price is almost irrelevant. Don't satisfy me and it doesn't matter how 'cheap' you are. I would go back to the Waldorf just for their Porridge breakfast. I would go back to the Langham for their Eggs benedict. I wouldn't go back to the Fleming ,because it was just blah forgettable.

I would go back to the little B&B in Scarborough, Tuson Court, because they care so much about everything they do from the breakfast, local information, singing chef (good for a chuckle at breakfast), and small touches in the room.

• Like 2

For me its about value for money. If i find an extensive buffet with fresh of everything plus a chef preparing every egg fantasy that exists and they charge 25 euro fine no problem even if i only take one sandwich and a coffee.

same amount for old croissants and some chocolate bread ( you guessed it French breakfast) is getting away with legalized theft.

same with cars really?

20 hours ago, Tickedon said:

Free parking if you signed up to be a Village hotel member (also free). No idea if you can sign up after your booking: https://www.village-hotels.co.uk/members-portal-login

Luckily I had booked through Booking.com and had free cancellation until 22nd December so cancelled joined the club and booked again through there website but it’s not free cancellation, we can’t win can we but it was £15 cheaper so we will see if I get free parking.

Dell

• Like 1

Hi Derek. What part of Manchester are you going to? 

Have you not considered a bed and breakfast type hotel instead of a 'named' one?

If you're going to North Manchester I can recommend Westlynn Hotel. It's been there decades. I was born and bred just a 10 min walk from it and in the past few years it's my go to when I go to Manchester for a night out.

What I like about the singing chef is you just know he likes what he is doing and you can hear that in his voice and see it on your plate so that put's a smile on my face so what's not to like unless you enjoy getting up everyday prepared to be miserable.

It can be quite a shock when you see hotel prices at the counter compared to booking online. I have had to book a hotel at the last minute, in person. Desk price over £200.

I told the receptionist that it was only £98 on booking.com. - No reaction. I said that I would go in the lounge and book it online and be back in 5 minutes - The receptionist then agreed to take the booking at the desk for £95 because they would save the commission charge.

Almost as bad as Ryanair for exploiting as much as possible from customers whenever the opportunity arises.

This practice does not seem to be as bad in some European countries ( Spain and France for example ) but UK hotel and restaurant prices are outrageous and just not worth it anymore.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links