Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another nail in the coffin?

DavidCM

This will probably equate to putting a lit cigarette in the petrol tank..but here goes...

I've just read in the Nov. Issue of Motor Sport that the organisers of Extreme E (the all electric off road racing series) are about to start Extreme H,a new hydrogen powered series.They say that it is likely the E (battery) series will just disappear.

Is this further evidence of the fact that Battery power is the wrong approach?

• Like 3

Could be more to do with the combination of electric vehicles and racing. It just does not seem to work does it? The E series is mostly ignored by spectators and press alike. No noise, no smell, no emotion. Manufacturers have pulled out as there is just no return on their big investments ( as it is mostly ignored). So it surely seems to be the wrong approach for motor racing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Is this further evidence of the fact that battery power is the wrong approach?

35 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The E series is mostly ignored by spectators and press alike. No noise, no smell, no emotion

I’ve only occasionally stumbled across TV transmissions of E-Races, but I think these two comments neatly summarise the underwhelming nature of E-Racing.  I don’t know if this is always the case, but the ones I’ve seen have all been street circuits.

The problem there seems to be that the racing is mainly confined to nose-to-tail circulation, punctuated by the occasional collision or off-circuit excursion.  All the time the degree of spectator involvement and emotive association appears to be akin to that of an electric lawnmower as they hum around the circuit.

Mind you, I’m also losing interest in F1 for similar reasons.  These days the place to see really competitive on-track racing is at a Touring Car event.  Better still, a Classic Car meet with the heady aroma of Castrol R! 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LenT said:

Mind you, I’m also losing interest in F1 for similar reasons.  These days the place to see really competitive on-track racing is at a Touring Car event.  Better still, a Classic Car meet with the heady aroma of Castrol R! 

Historic GP is fantastic as well. The wide spread of machines from 12 to 4 cylinders from the fifties all the way up to the seventies. Big suicidal ( in my view) CanAm thundermachines. When they fly by you feel it in your bones and hope all goes well. The Danger. E grand Prix is a clinical non event that nobody asked for. Vegan burger anyone?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LenT said:
2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Could be more to do with the combination of electric vehicles and racing. It just does not seem to work does it? The E series is mostly ignored by spectators and press alike. No noise, no smell, no emotion. Manufacturers have pulled out as there is just no return on their big investments ( as it is mostly ignored). So it surely seems to be the wrong approach for motor racing.

Agree strongly with both of you.

The very very few Formula E(ugh) races I've bothered to watch and stay awake through are as boring as hell.It sounds like I've left the hoover running in the hall.

The very limited coverage of Goodwood Revival was more interesting than the whole F1  season.Maybe the odd numbered cars should race clockwise and the evens anticlockwise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

I've found Formula E to be boring and I'll admit I also find F1 boring I used to enjoy F1 but the difference between the cars is so great that the lower teams have no chance. For my racing excitement I turn to the Oz V8 Supercar series.

Oh the 1000 in the Bathurst title equals 1000Km. In this race they even change brake pads on a pit stop!

EV racing will either disappear or it will take longer to be "mainstream". For example, a track I've been going to for years, Anglesey, has banned ALL EV and Hybrid vehicles from the track. It's to do with putting out electric fires.. It's not cheap or simple.

13 minutes ago, H3XME said:

EV racing will either disappear or it will take longer to be "mainstream". For example I track I've been going to for years, Anglesey, has banned ALL EV and Hybrid vehicles from the track. It's to do with putting out electric fires.. It's not cheap or simple.

I guess this isn't supposed to be funny, but it made me laugh anyway.

• Haha 1

Do they still do motor racing like I used to go to at Brands Hatch in the ‘60s …… ordinary’ish cars like Ford Anglias . Hillman Imps. Minis whatever …… that was so exciting if I remember 🤔

Malc 

17 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Do they still do motor racing like I used to go to at Brands Hatch in the ‘60s …… ordinary’ish cars like Ford Anglias . Hillman Imps. Minis whatever …… that was so exciting if I remember 🤔

Malc 

At Anglesey? They do track days for regular folk with their cars. That's when I would go.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links