Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A car hit us from behind earlier today

taxiboy

Hi All, as we were approaching a round about, a car hit us from behind and caused a bit of damage to us rear bumper (cracked), 1 sensor missing and the side bottom deflector cracked. We are all okay.

The person at fault was 18 years old and I spoke with his dad earlier and they would prefer to sort it out privately (I am aware even though we are not at fault our premiums would increase for the next 5 years) so would also prefer this option if viable. Neve had this before, so do we need to go to lexus for the repair or a body shop? What are the pros and cons of each? Many thanks.

*We own the car outright and is less than a year old

You have a newish car so needs to go to a Lexus approved body shop and the costs will almost certainly be well above what the Dad is prepared to pay directly, I doubt if Lexus would repair a bumper.

If you had a 10-year old car and went to a smart repair body shop that can repair the bumper it may be a different story.

• Like 3

They might prefer to settle privately but wait until they find out how much this is going to cost. Lexus parts aren't cheap!

Secondly your insurance T&Cs require you to advise them if you are involved in an accident. If the third party does go through their insurance (once they find out the cost), yours will be made aware irrespective of your preferences. 

Is the car bought through finance? Then you have to go through Lexus.

• Like 2

thank you @Spock66  If we go through insurance would our insurer know that it needs to be a lexus approved repairer? And why do you say we need to go to  Lexus approved body shop? just curious, does it affect warranty?

there seems to 2 users of approved. 1. Lexus approved body shop & 2. approved garages by insurer. Which are you referring to? 

4 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

If we go through insurance would our insurer know that it needs to be a lexus approved repairer?

Most insurance companies will have approved body shops and whether Lexus approved or not will likely want to fit all new parts and if the other party is paying your insurance company is unlikely to question the cost.

Yes you could shop around and probably find an independent repair shop who could do a very neat repair if it's just a minor crack, but why should you when it's not your fault?

You will have to declare it for up to 5-years every time you get a quote, but should not impact your premiums if it was a no fault incident.

• Like 2

thank you spock66, many years ago, we had an accident (not at fault) and yet it still affect our premiums so I can only assume this rule continues.

I guess I still need to try to get a quote privately to show the other party that I have tried before forcing them to go down the insurance route. What would be the best way to get a quote, lexus dealer?

https://www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-drivers-with-non-fault-claims/#:~:text=Unfortunately%2C in many cases a,for two non-fault claims.

Take it to Lexus and let them deal with it. They will use their approved repairer. Your premium will go up even though you are not at fault. The insurance company's reasoning is; If you claim once, you are more likely to claim again. Doesn't seem to make sense but that's what the statistics say.

• Like 2

Similar happened to me not long after I bought mine.What looked like minor damage ended up at £5000 plus and more besides when a hire car was provided when in for repair.Be aware of Parts shortages delaying things.You must use a Lexus bodyshop as only they will be able to test the hybrid system hasn't been damaged.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Similar happened to me not long after I bought mine.What looked like minor damage ended up at £5000 plus and more besides when a hire car was provided when in for repair.Be aware of Parts shortages delaying things.You must use a Lexus bodyshop as only they will be able to test the hybrid system hasn't been damaged.

Thank you, but what if my insurance doesn't have lexus on the approved repairer? Would I have a choice? thank you

10 hours ago, taxiboy said:

Thank you, but what if my insurance doesn't have lexus on the approved repairer? Would I have a choice? thank you

If the 3rd party that did the damage is at fault then just take it to Lexus and let them handle it. You have every right to have Lexus repair it and the other insurance company can't deny you that. Get a claims management company to handle it if they start to put up barriers - your insurance company will likely direct you to one if you report it to them anyway. I have been through this and had no issues having my car repaired at Lexus - the 3rd party insurance sorted everything out and provided like for like hire car for the whole time the repair took. Mine had more damage but took 6 weeks to repair (mainly due to getting parts) and cost £13,500 over 5 years ago. The cost of doing a repair to the same standard as a new car can be eye watering for what looks like a small amount of damage. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Most insurance companies will have approved body shops and whether Lexus approved or not will likely want to fit all new parts and if the other party is paying your insurance company is unlikely to question the cost.

Yes you could shop around and probably find an independent repair shop who could do a very neat repair if it's just a minor crack, but why should you when it's not your fault?

You will have to declare it for up to 5-years every time you get a quote, but should not impact your premiums if it was a no fault incident.

Can I Enlighten you On Your last Comment Andrew..It Makes NO Difference Whether its your Fault or the Fault of a Third Party..All Insurers see this as a Reason to bump up your Premium REGARDLESS Of fault..At Least That is my experience...!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

just found out they don't have MOT., will this invalid their insurance

Not necessarily, but probably. Let's say it would be a miracle if they were still covered.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

Yes it's most likely their insurance will be invalid and so you may have to claim on your own insurance - depends on how they handle uninsured drivers - sounds like time to talk to your insurance company as likely may need legal assistance too. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

Yes.  It will invalidate any car insurance.  It also renders the driver liable for a fine up to £1000 - but that’s the least of their problems!

It sounds like you’ve had an encounter with a totally irresponsible driver and an equally feckless family.  As others have observed, the other driver’s family will be very less eager to pay for repairs once they discover how much that’s going to cost.  By then time will have passed and your own Insurers may be less than cooperative.

Frankly I would report the driver to the Police and let them discover if he was even insured in the first place.  And advise your own insurers and insist that the repairs are carried out by an Lexus-approved dealer.

Individuals who are such casual law breakers can hardly be relied upon to act morally if caught out.

This article explains the consequences of driving without an mot:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/mot/what-is-the-penalty-for-driving-without-an-mot-certificate#

• Like 6

About a decade ago now, my then one year old Volvo was rear ended by a learner driver. I felt very sorry for them, even though entirely their fault. I wanted everything done properly given the age of the car, new bumper, painting, labour alone was £2k+. Did end up going through insurance, and my insurance broker directed me to an accident claims management company.

The potential for huge costs resulted in their insurer basically saying “we’ll handle everything directly, drop the claims company, get the repair done anywhere where you want”. My local Volvo dealer had a recommended body shop that was Volvo approved, they did a great job. Other drivers insurance also provided a hire car for a few days while my car was in being sorted - though their definition of an “equivalent hire car group vehicle” was a Vauxhall Corsa (which clearly was not in the same car hire class group). I told them where to go, and a Mercedes A class appeared - still a couple of groups lower than it should have been, but was at least a learning experience that I never ever wanted a Mercedes Benz…

Given the lack of MOT and likely headache, I suggest going straight for an accident claims company -your insurer may direct you to one, and there’s also a “Lexus” third party one (https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/accident-care#/). Note that the lack of MOT may invalidate any claim on their own vehicle, but won’t necessarily stop their insurer paying out for your costs. Either way, use a claims company, won’t be your headache.

I didn’t see any noticeable increase in my premiums for the no fault claim, but it was 5-10 years ago now. 

14 hours ago, taxiboy said:

In theory,your insurers won't be paying,as has been confirmed further down the thread.If I was in your shoes,I would hand it over to a claims management firm..and let their pet vultures sort it out but INSIST on a Lexus or approved bodyshop.

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

n how they handle uninsured d

Thank you all so much for your replies. The dad called me back and advised that they are insured with Churchill who have advised them that they will cover thrid party (us) but not their own car. They will open a claim and we will do the same. I have realised that all approved repairers for lexus are not lexus or toyota themselves:

https://www.itassystems.com/lexusnetwork

When you say go with a claims management firm, I still need to first speak with my insurer first right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

Thank you all so much for your replies. The dad called me back and advised that they are insured with Churchill who have advised them that they will cover thrid party (us) but not their own car. They will open a claim and we will do the same. I have realised that all approved repairers for lexus are not lexus or toyota themselves:

https://www.itassystems.com/lexusnetwork

When you say go with a claims management firm, I still need to first speak with my insurer first right?

Might be a bit far for you but the Jemca group (who have a number of Lexus and Toyota dealerships in the south) have their own bodyshop in Bracknell - it's where I had my Lexus repaired (arranged through Lexus Reading). I would also speak to your insurer as well and advise them of the circumstances. When I had my accident I did that and then the 3rd party insurance took over and organised everything and so my insurance company then closed the case from their side. The 3rd party insurance were happy to handle it according to my demands as it was much cheaper for them that way than if I had used my insurance claims management company. They provided similar spec hire car etc and kept me informed as to progress. 

• Like 1

As Wharfhouse above ....Jemca Bracknell did a superb job, especially matching and blending the Sonic Red paint.Also agree on claims management comment.Do choose ideally Lexus/Toyota bodyshop so the Hybrid system is checked,or get a standalone Hybrid healthcheck paid for by Insurers,just in case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

As Wharfhouse above ....Jemca Bracknell did a superb job, especially matching and blending the Sonic Red paint.Also agree on claims management comment.Do choose ideally Lexus/Toyota bodyshop so the Hybrid system is checked,or get a standalone Hybrid healthcheck paid for by Insurers,just in case.

Yes should have added Jemca bodyshop did a superb job on mine - I inspected it meticulously and there is no way I could tell it had been repaired. They also didn't cut corners - it was an expensive repair but everything done as a new car would be built. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, taxiboy said:

Hi All, as we were approaching a round about, a car hit us from behind and caused a bit of damage to us rear bumper (cracked), 1 sensor missing and the side bottom deflector cracked. We are all okay.

The person at fault was 18 years old and I spoke with his dad earlier and they would prefer to sort it out privately (I am aware even though we are not at fault our premiums would increase for the next 5 years) so would also prefer this option if viable. Neve had this before, so do we need to go to lexus for the repair or a body shop? What are the pros and cons of each? Many thanks.

*We own the car outright and is less than a year old

Oh dear - main thing is you're okay. I had the same thing happen multiple times in my Lexus and my wifes so I know how you feel!

Firstly dont panic - it looks like youre going through the insurer. Inform your insurer directly (dont go through the claims management companies) and get a Lexus approved bodyshop i.e. the bodyshop that your dealer uses. There may be a small "non approved repairer" excess but trust me, its worth it because the insurance bodyshops are abysmal and if you have Legal cover you can claim this back anyway

Ive recently had my Merc repaired at an insurance approved bodyshop via a claims management company called Winns Solicitors and the repair was shocking - sent it back and finally got it back to how I like it. Thats a 10 year old car though, wouldnt take the risk with a newer Lexus

The cost is likely £3-4k overall I would say. 

The lack of MOT won't make any difference to your claim - the driver who hit the Merc was also technically uninsured as no MOT

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LenT said:

Yes.  It will invalidate any car insurance.  It also renders the driver liable for a fine up to £1000 - but that’s the least of their problems!

It sounds like you’ve had an encounter with a totally irresponsible driver and an equally feckless family.  As others have observed, the other driver’s family will be very less eager to pay for repairs once they discover how much that’s going to cost.  By then time will have passed and your own Insurers may be less than cooperative.

Frankly I would report the driver to the Police and let them discover if he was even insured in the first place.  And advise your own insurers and insist that the repairs are carried out by an Lexus-approved dealer.

Individuals who are such casual law breakers can hardly be relied upon to act morally if caught out.

This article explains the consequences of driving without an mot:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/mot/what-is-the-penalty-for-driving-without-an-mot-certificate#

Your Spot On Len..All Drivers should not be on a Public Road unless they have all the necessary documentation.ie M.O.T Insurance Road tax and Especially a Current driving licence......

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links