Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

18" Winter Tyre Reccomendations

Hey guys, I was helping my friend out with a lift late last night as there were no taxis avaialble and during the large snowfall we got in Nottingham and I soon realised how awful summer tyres and our RWD vehicles are to tackle the snow. Managed to get stuck twice on hills (thankfully I had people come and push me twice!) so its something I definitely want to have for the colder winter months.

I happen to have a set of spare 18" alloys I acquired so was hoping to get some good recommendations of a winter tyre setup. I know some people have suggested 16s and 17s are superior but given I already have these I figured if someone could provide some solid recommendations that would be brilliant. 

They do. I have them (CrossClimate 2).

Though on the rear you need to go with 245/40R18 instead of 255 as they're unavailable in that size.

I used to run full winter tyres (Pirelli Sottozero 3), and was happy with them but when the time came to replace them, I figured they were overkill for the amount of snow that falls where I live, so went with the Michelins which are "only" all-seasons.

In my experience though they are just as good in snowy conditions as a full winter tyre. With the added bonus that they are equally comfortable in warm weather, so you can leave them on all year-round.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

They do. I have them (CrossClimate 2).

Though on the rear you need to go with 245/40R18 instead of 255 as they're unavailable in that size.

I used to run full winter tyres (Pirelli Sottozero 3), and was happy with them but when the time came to replace them, I figured they were overkill for the amount of snow that falls where I live, so went with the Michelins which are "only" all-seasons.

In my experience though they are just as good in snowy conditions as a full winter tyre. With the added bonus that they are equally comfortable in warm weather, so you can leave them on all year-round.

1 hour ago, LIJO151 said:

Michelin CrossClimate, but I don't know if they do the tyre size for 18.

Cheers for the input guys, funnily enough I already run 245 on the rear and 225 on the front, all seasons arent a bad shout incase I wanted to sell my spare F Sport alloys however I figured if I have them spare having a dedicated winter set wouldnt be the worst idea.

I never entertained the thought as our winters in the midlands are very mild but between climate change and the erratic weather patterns we've just had it wouldnt necessarily be the worst idea haha. 

16 hours ago, McShmoopy said:

Cheers for the input guys, funnily enough I already run 245 on the rear and 225 on the front, all seasons arent a bad shout incase I wanted to sell my spare F Sport alloys however I figured if I have them spare having a dedicated winter set wouldnt be the worst idea.

I never entertained the thought as our winters in the midlands are very mild but between climate change and the erratic weather patterns we've just had it wouldnt necessarily be the worst idea haha. 

Not the worst idea at all, but the sale of the wheels will offset the cost of all seasons, and you won't have the faff of changing them over twice a year. For the record, I'm a convert to Cross Climates too, having driven them through snowy roads and mountains in Germany, as well as hot summers here and in France.  They seem to work well in all conditions, as well as being quiet and comfortable.

• Like 2

I think also relevant to the topic - should you pay extra to find 255, or downsize to 245, or even square set-up for 225.

I have long argued that for winter conditions the narrower tyres is better and testing seems to support it. So no need to be hanged-up for keeping the factory 255s... at least no for winter. Obviously if you keep the tyres all year round, then extra width is beneficial in the dry.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 8:20 PM, McShmoopy said:

Hey guys, I was helping my friend out with a lift late last night as there were no taxis avaialble and during the large snowfall we got in Nottingham and I soon realised how awful summer tyres and our RWD vehicles are to tackle the snow. Managed to get stuck twice on hills (thankfully I had people come and push me twice!) so its something I definitely want to have for the colder winter months.

I happen to have a set of spare 18" alloys I acquired so was hoping to get some good recommendations of a winter tyre setup. I know some people have suggested 16s and 17s are superior but given I already have these I figured if someone could provide some solid recommendations that would be brilliant. 

A cheap set of winter tyres would be better than a seto of summer tyres , i had nexen winter on a couple of years ago ( is 250 )and  drove around land rovers sports in the snow as they were stuck . they were brilliant .

I have the now discontinued Goodyear Ultra Grip 9 winter tyres since 2016 on my 1996 Volvo 940 rear wheel drive automatic. They transformed the car, over Michelin Summer tyres.

Could actually pull away and stop and steer in deep snow like the beast from the east. Would go goodyear again. Now do Ultra Grip 9+ Highly recommended.

9 hours ago, hondansxr said:

A cheap set of winter tyres would be better than a seto of summer tyres

Absolutelly not. Maybe depends on exact conditions, but particularly in UK that cannot be further from the truth. For set of cheap winter tyres to have an edge it has to be deep snow/packed snow conditions that basically does not exist in UK for more than few days.

Also Nexens are one brand I avoid, old memories, so perhaps I unfairly discount them as budget tyres, but I have once replaced brand new set of Nexens, because they were horrible. 

21 hours ago, hondansxr said:

A cheap set of winter tyres would be better than a seto of summer tyres 

It rather depends on why the tyre is cheap!

Presenting it with a combination of adverse road conditions - such as cold, snow and ice - is no time to discover that the manufacturer used inferior materials and poor design technology.  It may sound obvious, but I avoid anything that’s merely cheap if my life depends on it!

However, there are many alternatives to Premium priced tyres.  For example, many major manufacturers produce lower cost ranges simply by offering a more restricted range of sizes - but still applying the sophisticated tyre design and materials development that they’ve invested in.

If it helps, here’s a website that claims to list the lesser known brands owned by the major tyre manufacturers.  I think it’s reasonable to presume that they maintain their standards while reducing the price.

https://tyres.rezulteo.co.uk/expert-advice/before-buying/brands-products/leading-tyre-manufacturers-which-brand-belongs-to-which-group

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LenT said:

It rather depends on why the tyre is cheap!

Presenting it with a combination of adverse road conditions - such as cold, snow and ice - is no time to discover that the manufacturer used inferior materials and poor design technology.  It may sound obvious, but I avoid anything that’s merely cheap if my life depends on it!

However, there are many alternatives to Premium priced tyres.  For example, many major manufacturers produce lower cost ranges simply by offering a more restricted range of sizes - but still applying the sophisticated tyre design and materials development that they’ve invested in.

If it helps, here’s a website that claims to list the lesser known brands owned by the major tyre manufacturers.  I think it’s reasonable to presume that they maintain their standards while reducing the price.

https://tyres.rezulteo.co.uk/expert-advice/before-buying/brands-products/leading-tyre-manufacturers-which-brand-belongs-to-which-group

Absolutelly, I just used cheap winter tyres on car in arctic conditions and they were very dodgy  (not much choice - it was rental). It was -20C and therefore main roads were dry, even summer tyre could have handled that, but going on slippery side roads was a real challenge. And we talking here about literally brand new tyres with probably less than 100 miles on them.

Yes there are situations where even cheapest winter tyre outperforms best summer tyre, but they are very specific situations. Otherwise, same like one can tell shaite summer tyres from good ones in summer, likewise one can tell shaite winter tyres from good ones in winter. If anything it makes more difference in winter than summer, my opinion is that summer tyres are easier to make so if companies can't make good summer tyres, they have no chance to make good winter tyres.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links