Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential LC500 Owner after a little advice

Dingle Dell

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

They essentially waited for the vehicle facelift to upgrade the infotainment system. Late 2018 (MY19) ES and NX got an upgrade - Lexus never developed a retrofit for the LC.

Interestingly my 2018 RCF didn’t get the same upgrade…..

2 hours ago, Dingle Dell said:

I would be in a lot of trouble as my other half hates yellow cars. If it wasn't a 6hr+ drive away, I would probably go and have a look just to see what I thought of the colour. 

Is that particular yellow available on other Lexus, as that's probably an easier way to have a quick look at the colour, even if it won't quite be the same as seeing it on the LC

I had a look at the yellow one at Newcastle and I actually really liked the colour.  Even on a dull day it looked brilliant, I’d certainly own it!  As with any purchase like this, need to make your own opinion on it however!

Not sure I’m the best judge mind you as my car is orange!

17 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

I had a look at the yellow one at Newcastle and I actually really liked the colour.  Even on a dull day it looked brilliant, I’d certainly own it!  As with any purchase like this, need to make your own opinion on it however!

Not sure I’m the best judge mind you as my car is orange!

Shame they didn't do an orange LC500, I think that would have looked great.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 4:58 PM, Dingle Dell said:

Shame they didn't do an orange LC500, I think that would have looked great.

They did (different to the RC F colour):

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/blazing-carnelian-a-new-colour-debut-for-the-2021-lexus-lc-coupe/

37 minutes ago, Dingle Dell said:

Did they only ever do one red? Pretty much all the red ones I have seen are what I believe is officially Sonic Red, which has a touch of maroon to it, to my eye.

This one looks a brighter red, though may just be the photos.

Yes only one. It is a sonic paint with 5 layers which gives it depth and will look different depending on the angle and lighting conditions. Digital cameras struggle with red but those pictures look particularly inaccurate - they appear to have been processed - I doubt the car has been wrapped a different colour.

• Like 1

Yes only one red. Note most Lexus colours have different names in different countries too - Nori Green = Terrine Khaki Green etc.

Those pics look like they’ve overexposed them on a dull day.

Beware painted wheels too, unless you like ‘em - refurbing the 21” chrome/black wheels is expensive and difficult, assuming you can find someone who can actually mask off and recreate the original finishes. New wheels are available though, over two grand each I believe - could be a good negotiating point!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to hijack this thread save starting another.

How important is the Mark Levinson audio as a package and for resale? I'm hopefully off to see this example at Auto100 this week:
https://www.auto100.co.uk/used-car-details/used-lexus-lc-500-50-v8-sport-plus-auto-euro-6-coupe-red-automatic-petrol/id-202308070537311/

However it doesn't have the ML - is it actually worth it (in terms of quality) and is it considered something essential as part of the overall package?

Has there been anything but positive reviews of this model.  Take a look at the Car Care Nut on Youtube  who has done 2 videos on the coupe and convertible.   He has a great deal of knowledge on all things Lexus but did 2 really great reviews inside his workshop, no road tests just a detailed commentary of how good they are. You need to make an allowance for the fact he is in the US  but his understanding of the technical stuff is very high. 

This isn't really for me as I don't think I can live with the red interior, and still want a newer car, but i'm trying to improve my knowledge of what i'm looking at so I can buy the right car when it comes up.

Sonic Titanium seems a very rare colour, but looks really good on this. 

I'm a bit confused as it says this is a Sports Plus but I thought they all had the spoiler and 21 inch wheels. The ad states this has the 21 inch wheels, but aren't they the 20 inch ones?

One other question is with the carbon roof, are they always 'carbon black' in colour or on some cars are they painted to match the rest of the car?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401035215411?sort=most-recent&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Lexus&model=LC 500&postcode=de564ea&fromsra

On 1/2/2024 at 5:47 PM, MattyJB said:

How important is the Mark Levinson audio as a package and for resale? I'm hopefully off to see this example at Auto100 this week:
https://www.auto100.co.uk/used-car-details/used-lexus-lc-500-50-v8-sport-plus-auto-euro-6-coupe-red-automatic-petrol/id-202308070537311/

However it doesn't have the ML - is it actually worth it (in terms of quality) and is it considered something essential as part of the overall package?

I can't speak with any authority as i'm only looking myself, but from what I have read, it seems quite a desirable option. It's on my wish list, but it wouldn't stop me buying a car if the colour, mileage, year and condition were all fine.

• Like 1

The wheels shown on AutoTrader are the 20 inch style. The roof options on the LC were a carbon roof on the Sport Plus and a glass roof on the other models. I have a "basic" model LC and find the glass roof very nice in the summer to lighten the cabin and the smaller wheels are very easy to clean and repair if you kerb them (unlike the shiny 21 inchers).

Will you notice any difference driving on the road between models? Well I have driven all types and there is no noticeable variation. If you track it then maybe. 

18 hours ago, Dingle Dell said:

This isn't really for me as I don't think I can live with the red interior, and still want a newer car, but i'm trying to improve my knowledge of what i'm looking at so I can buy the right car when it comes up.

Sonic Titanium seems a very rare colour, but looks really good on this. 

I'm a bit confused as it says this is a Sports Plus but I thought they all had the spoiler and 21 inch wheels. The ad states this has the 21 inch wheels, but aren't they the 20 inch ones?

One other question is with the carbon roof, are they always 'carbon black' in colour or on some cars are they painted to match the rest of the car?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401035215411?sort=most-recent&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Lexus&model=LC 500&postcode=de564ea&fromsra

I personally think this add is misleading, the Sport plus has 21" wheels, rear spoiler, rear wheels steer , and i believe the seats are only half leather with Alcantara.

19 hours ago, Dingle Dell said:

That particular vehicle is a base LC (not a Sport Plus, not even a Sport). The base LC has 20" cast wheels (with the option to upgrade to 21"). The base and Sport grades don't have a spoiler, other than the shape of the boot lid. The Sport plus has a retractable spoiler.

Carbon roof is always unpainted.

image.thumb.png.4847010cb34b4b4a8f5adafbf32264be.png

On 1/2/2024 at 5:47 PM, MattyJB said:

Are you sure it doesn't have ML? According to the official spec sheet, my RCF doesn't have it, but all the (many) speakers and the head unit are labelled Mark Levinson. 

24 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Are you sure it doesn't have ML?

No it doesn't. There are no ML badges on the sub at the rear or on the centre console below the CD slot.

24 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

According to the official spec sheet, my RCF doesn't have it, but all the (many) speakers and the head unit are labelled Mark Levinson.

What official spec sheet? All RC F grades could be spec'd with an ML system.

Thanks for all the info so far. I went to look at a 2023 white car at a local dealer today (unfortunately a Hybrid), just to check out the colour. Not the best of days to be looking at cars. I thought it looked good in white, but I think I have decided I really do want red, so that's my choice limited even more. There was a very nice new RCF there though, but I really shouldn't get distracted...

It's interesting reading the thoughts that for typical on-road driving, it's hard to notice any real difference between ,base, sport and sport+, and therefore I thought I would consider base models, especially as I prefer the leather interiors anyway. Problem is, I do really prefer the 21-inch wheels. 

I phoned a local dealer to get a price (thinking I could buy a base model and change the wheels), only to find out that would cost me 12K, not including the tyres, which would be impossible for me to justify spending. This was for the 21-inch wheels seen on most (pre 22?) models. I do like the wheels on this though - not sure if these were the standard 21-inch wheels on later models.

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-69253217/?i=6&m=sp

1 hour ago, Dingle Dell said:

I phoned a local dealer to get a price (thinking I could buy a base model and change the wheels), only to find out that would cost me 12K, not including the tyres, which would be impossible for me to justify spending. This was for the 21-inch wheels seen on most (pre 22?) models

Buying wheels as spares is very expensive, as you have found out. From 2019 onwards you could spec a base LC with optional 21" wheel from the factory for £2,100 - so there may be some out there with that option.

1 hour ago, Dingle Dell said:

I do like the wheels on this though - not sure if these were the standard 21-inch wheels on later models.

Those are one of the two latest MY24 design wheels (May 2023 production onwards).

16 hours ago, Dingle Dell said:

Thanks for all the info so far. I went to look at a 2023 white car at a local dealer today (unfortunately a Hybrid), just to check out the colour. Not the best of days to be looking at cars. I thought it looked good in white, but I think I have decided I really do want red, so that's my choice limited even more. There was a very nice new RCF there though, but I really shouldn't get distracted...

It's interesting reading the thoughts that for typical on-road driving, it's hard to notice any real difference between ,base, sport and sport+, and therefore I thought I would consider base models, especially as I prefer the leather interiors anyway. Problem is, I do really prefer the 21-inch wheels. 

I phoned a local dealer to get a price (thinking I could buy a base model and change the wheels), only to find out that would cost me 12K, not including the tyres, which would be impossible for me to justify spending. This was for the 21-inch wheels seen on most (pre 22?) models. I do like the wheels on this though - not sure if these were the standard 21-inch wheels on later models.

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-69253217/?i=6&m=sp

The black inspirations come with leather interiors, even though they are S+ specification, although by their nature you won't get a red one!

I think the standard fit stereo is Pioneer with 12 speakers. The only two options are the 13 speaker ML and the HUD.

ML can be spotted as Colin’s said by the logo on the rear seat centre or the logo under the CD player.

HUD can be spotted by a missing section on the dash top where the ‘projector’ is, or by looking at the row of dash buttons to the right of the steering wheel where the fuel flap release is.

Wheels are crazy money new and very tricky to refurb, but there are companies that can do it - I know Lexus Stockport know of a company that is capable of refurbing the 21 inch chromes.

The biggest driving difference (from what I’ve read/watched) is the sport plus having the rear wheel steer plus variable ratio rack plus LSD. Mines a convertible sport plus without rws as there’s no room for it to be fitted.

Brochure download here with specs, options etc : LC500 UK brochure

• Like 1

Without wishing to make life difficult for you, have you ever seen the car in structural blue? One as such is for sale right now and if I was searching I would give that model serious consideration. In my view the blue is beyond stunning and if I could, I would. Indeed, the wallpaper on my phone is of a LC in just that colour!

LINK TO CAR

On 1/8/2024 at 6:39 AM, Brian R said:

Without wishing to make life difficult for you, have you ever seen the car in structural blue? One as such is for sale right now and if I was searching I would give that model serious consideration. In my view the blue is beyond stunning and if I could, I would. Indeed, the wallpaper on my phone is of a LC in just that colour!

LINK TO CAR

From the pictures I have seen of Structural Blue, it looks very nice, so I certainly would be considering it, along with Sonic Red. From what I can see, it's not yet advertised for sale; there's only the post you link to saying it will be for sale in the next few weeks, but no other info on spec, mileage, etc, so i'll wait and see. I'm in no rush and the ideal plan was to purchase around March / April.

This should work out quite well with what's happening with high-end used car prices as well, and the market is undergoing something of a 'correction' (some are saying crash, but that's a tad dramatic) following the lack of supply during and following the pandemic. I have been following various car prices very closely, and there are some significant drops over the last 3 - 6 months on similar priced cars from AM Vantages, to F-Types and AMG GT's.

It is noteworthy that most of the LC500's that were for sale when I first started looking are still for sale, so I feel it's very much a buyers market at the moment.

• Like 1

Definitely a buyers market for anything high end. As a potential buyer it’s worth downloading the autotrader price tracker plug in that shows previous prices - some Jags and Land Rovers are showing five figure reductions over several months of advertising certain cars. My local dealers dark blue base LC500 started off at 68k and is now IIRC just under 60. The Auto100 sport plus was advertised in august and has been reduced by £9300 since then - a real incentive to live without an ML stereo! Bargains to be had, but it’s a catching a falling knife scenario timing it right!

Yes, I heard about the AT Price Tracker a couple of months ago and it's a very useful tool. I have seen many cars such as Vantages and Portofinos come down by over 20K! 

I do still think there is further to fall though, perhaps significantly, if cars don't start moving in the next few months.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links