Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Philips LED Bulb upgrade - WOW!

I recently bought an IS250 again, as they are such good all round cars. My only gripe with my recent purchase was the very dim Halogen bulbs due to having the SE version of the IS250.

I did a lot of research and opted for some Philips Ultinon Pro3021 H11 LED bulbs that are 6000k colour temp, a decent white without being overpowering or 'bluish' which I've never liked. They cost £39.80 for the pair, which is fairly reasonable to me. They did have the 5000 series and the 9000 series, but you are looking at around £80 to £115 respectively. The lumens rating is higher on the model I've bought apparently, so that's the key reason for change and a proper beam pattern.

The main thing is it's got a decent beam pattern with the step down and I'll be surprised if it doesn't pass the MOT (as they are technically not road legal).

Overall, I'm extremely happy with them and I feel much safer driving with the newer bulbs in.

Pics below:

Wall pattern and brightness in the day time with one side done:

Comparison of each side:

image.thumb.jpeg.1e33dedd15c9198b3bbc371333f1fdb6.jpeg

Doesn't look blue at all in reality, it's just how the camera picked it up:

image.thumb.jpeg.ac412f752c443d293703667acdbd5f4b.jpeg 

Comparison of before and after:

image.thumb.jpeg.686ff311cbc6883d136862c9d2fcd924.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.12bd9ab0ca63ad5712010eddf6e7fad7.jpeg

The night shots were too difficult to capture and make a comparison, but I'll see if there's some captures on my dashcam eventually.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting solution, because standard halogens on IS250 is awful to the point where I think they are dangerous. 

Does the LED headlights actually illuminate better at night? Because I know some of the bulbs claims more lumens, they seems to be brighter when looking at them, but they don't illuminate any better/further at night. So the question - how is the actual experience? 

They still look kind of bluish, despite being 6000K, but maybe that is just how camera captures the shade, in theory 6000K should be totally white. That said I remember having 6000K xenons, 6000K LED for side-lights and 6000K halogens for high-beam... all were Osram, all were 6000K, but the shade was different on all of them. Xenon and LED was close, LED slightly bluer, but halogen was still kind of pinkish. So I guess it is more like ~6000K and actual light technology also matters. 

I also believe they should be fine for MOT, pattern looks identical before and after, not sure why they would pick-on it. Sure they have more lumens, but I doubt they have as much as cars with factory LED or Lasers, so as long as pattern is right I assume they should be ok.

29 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Interesting solution, because standard halogens on IS250 is awful to the point where I think they are dangerous. 

Does the LED headlights actually illuminate better at night? Because I know some of the bulbs claims more lumens, they seems to be brighter when looking at them, but they don't illuminate any better/further at night. So the question - how is the actual experience? 

They still look kind of bluish, despite being 6000K, but maybe that is just how camera captures the shade, in theory 6000K should be totally white. That said I remember having 6000K xenons, 6000K LED for side-lights and 6000K halogens for high-beam... all were Osram, all were 6000K, but the shade was different on all of them. Xenon and LED was close, LED slightly bluer, but halogen was still kind of pinkish. So I guess it is more like ~6000K and actual light technology also matters. 

I also believe they should be fine for MOT, pattern looks identical before and after, not sure why they would pick-on it. Sure they have more lumens, but I doubt they have as much as cars with factory LED or Lasers, so as long as pattern is right I assume they should be ok.

No doubt, the standard ones are terrible. In bad rain, I'm afraid of driving with them. 

Yep, a decent proper white I'd call them. As mentioned above, the camera just picks it up that way. It's difficult to show, perhaps I'll take a pic when I'm out later. 

It will not be as much as factory fitted stuff, but I assure you it's a world of difference! 

2 hours ago, Texas said:

So why are they labelled Not for Highway use?

I think it's likely to do with the red tape. Also, the MOT laws would take ages to change if they would even change. 

I think it's all pretty hypocritical at times, as you get blinded by cars all the time. Fortunately, I've checked mine myself and at a garage and mine are more than fine. 

You should let us know how your cars MOT goes with your LED headlight bulb upgrade.

As you say they Are illegal to use but also, as you say, the pattern of the light beam doesn't cause a 'blinding' effect.

As for the 'standard' bulb being terrible I think that's harsh. I 'upgraded' to the Osram night-breakers on my beloved is250 and that I found was a very good upgrade and is a popular upgrade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

As for the 'standard' bulb being terrible I think that's harsh. I 'upgraded' to the Osram night-breakers on my beloved is250 and that I found was a very good upgrade and is a popular upgrade.

Well, when I got my IS250 I occasionally- when driving at night - would flick from dip to main just to check that they were actually on!  

I thought the standard lighting was far inferior to my previous Honda Accord.

Even more of a surprise was that when I checked with the Lexus dealer if it was possible to upgrade to an HID bulb, I was told my model already had them!

So I did fit the Osram Nightbreaker laser Xenarc and they were an excellent upgrade - especially the dipped beam, which gives a brighter, better controlled light along the verges of our country lanes.

They are also road-legal in the UK.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d4s-osram-night-breaker-laser-xenarc-220-bulbs-next-generation-pair.html

• Like 5

18 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

I think it's likely to do with the red tape. Also, the MOT laws would take ages to change if they would even change. 

I think it's all pretty hypocritical at times, as you get blinded by cars all the time. Fortunately, I've checked mine myself and at a garage and mine are more than fine. 

Tha actual MoT ruling is light source incompatible with the headlamp unit. The headlamp designed for halogen bulbs cannot be used to house HiD or LED light sources.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:39 PM, Mr Vlad said:

You should let us know how your cars MOT goes with your LED headlight bulb upgrade.

As you say they Are illegal to use but also, as you say, the pattern of the light beam doesn't cause a 'blinding' effect.

Yes, I definitely will update on this thread once it's MOT'd.

I stand by what I said, the standard bulbs are shocking! Hardly lights up in front of the car, which is exacerbated by the other roads users as they'll have Xenon/HID's/LED/Laser etc and it kind of blocks out the halogen. I did consider the Osram and Philips upgrade and they aren't ruled out as it's trial and error - I'll know more after a period of time for use. Currently, they are definitely brighter and safe.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:09 AM, LenT said:

Well, when I got my IS250 I occasionally- when driving at night - would flick from dip to main just to check that they were actually on!  

I thought the standard lighting was far inferior to my previous Honda Accord.

Even more of a surprise was that when I checked with the Lexus dealer if it was possible to upgrade to an HID bulb, I was told my model already had them!

So I did fit the Osram Nightbreaker laser Xenarc and they were an excellent upgrade - especially the dipped beam, which gives a brighter, better controlled light along the verges of our country lanes.

They are also road-legal in the UK.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d4s-osram-night-breaker-laser-xenarc-220-bulbs-next-generation-pair.html

That sounds more like a bulb issue in fairness, as I've had a HID IS250 previously and mine were super bright. Mine is definitely halogen, as I took the H11 bulbs out.

On 1/9/2024 at 7:29 AM, NemesisUK said:

Tha actual MoT ruling is light source incompatible with the headlamp unit. The headlamp designed for halogen bulbs cannot be used to house HiD or LED light sources.

True.

On 1/8/2024 at 11:39 PM, Mr Vlad said:

HIDs (Xenons) with better bulbs like aforementioned Osram Nightbreakers are alright, but the Halogens in their standard form are hopeless.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I swapped out my standard halogen for Osrams and it did make a significant difference.

After one failed I then swapped them out for a Japanese brand with a higher lumen than the OSRAM…. and they were hopeless.

My other half refused to drive it on rainy nights.

So I then decided to try an LED swap out… going for the Auxiracer off amazon.

Wasn’t that scientific of a choice…. They were cheap at £20 something pounds, plug in and play…no wiring or modifications and I wanted to get a feel ( literally) for any heat issues.

They have proved to be absolutely fine with a much improved beam distance etc.

Passed my MOT last week ( no advisories 👍) nothing mentioned.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links