Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test report on LBX

Interesting, thanks for sharing that, looking forward to driving one myself and seeing the difference between it and the Yaris Cross.

For me it’ll be a toss up between the car you’ve driven and the Yaris Cross Premier edition which also has the bigger output of 134hp. The Cross I think rides higher than the LBX by a few cms and is also less wide by about 5cm which is better for my nervous mrs.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, walakalulu said:

the Yaris Cross Premier edition which also has the bigger output of 134hp.

Robin...where can I find this information ?

15 minutes ago, walakalulu said:
Toyota UK says:

Hi Martin,
Thanks you very much for your order.
For the 2024 Yaris Cross, GR Sport and Premiere Edition grades come with the new 130hp powertrain.
Thank you.

5 hours ago, walakalulu said:

For me it’ll be a toss up between the car you’ve driven and the Yaris Cross Premier edition which also has the bigger output of 134hp. The Cross I think rides higher than the LBX by a few cms and is also less wide by about 5cm which is better for my nervous mrs.

You are right to test drive both. I doubt the Toyota will have the “quality” feel of the Lexus but should still be good. The increased ride height and narrower body might well be the clincher for many. Coming from a Skoda Yeti I really felt that the LBX was low with less visibility than I’m used to, not a deal breaker but concerning nevertheless. Still going to take an extended road test but now looking at alternatives as well. Finally seat comfort was so so, though I think that maybe because in a lower car your legs are straighter rather than more naturally “bent” as in a higher seating position SUV. My passenger remarked on that aspect particularly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cur666 said:
Toyota UK says:

Hi Martin,
Thanks you very much for your order.
For the 2024 Yaris Cross, GR Sport and Premiere Edition grades come with the new 130hp powertrain.
Thank you.

Yes my bad. It’s 130bhp. Still more powerful than the standard Yaris which to me seems underpowered.

• Thanks 1

I did have a look at the LBX the other day - the Tacumi variant. Ride height nothing special for sure.

I think for real Lexus quality you need to look at the UX upwards. I remember the Mercedes A class didn’t feel much like a Mercedes back in the day. Same applies here I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can no Build/Configure your LBX & I am relieved I could not have bettered my Original Choice.

Tel

• Like 1

There are 2 Trim Options for my Model Choice & one is perforated seat material that will easily allow a vented seat cushion.

Back in the day, I paid 0000's to get heated/cool seats but many Members got cooling by connecting to the rear seat ducting.

Tel

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tel said:

You can no Build/Configure your LBX & I am relieved I could not have bettered my Original Choice.

Tel

I cancelled my Original Edition pre-order, as they are not supplying the UK with the AWDi model.

I fancied the Original Edition but did not select as it was only in FWD mode.

Interestingly my Dealer knew the UK Specs last December so I am surprised you were mis-lead.

Tel

30 minutes ago, Tel said:

I fancied the Original Edition but did not select as it was only in FWD mode.

Interestingly my Dealer knew the UK Specs last December so I am surprised you were mis-lead.

Tel

I pre-ordered before December, at my local dealership...not online....wasn't misled , didn't say that I was? The spec was unknown at that time.  The annoying thing is, the Orginal Edition AWDi is available in the rest of Europe.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:44 PM, walakalulu said:

I think for real Lexus quality you need to look at the UX upwards. I remember the Mercedes A class didn’t feel much like a Mercedes back in the day. Same applies here I think.

Lots of interesting views on this thread, it does show how different drivers have different priorities and opinions.

I looked at the new CH-R, Yaris Cross, and LBX yesterday and back to back (to back!). There was also a UX in the Lexus showroom.

For me, the LBX feels like a higher quality car than the UX. That’s mostly about perception, and it is a newer model, but for me the interior is ‘proper Lexus’ whereas the UX has never been quite there in my opinion. Seeing them both side by side yesterday reinforced that for me.

The Yaris Cross felt good. I like the higher seating position, and it’s a practical thing for the size. The downside was it felt a bit ‘tinny’ and there were harder plastics in areas such as the door tops where the others are softer. The LBX was at the other end of the spectrum and I was impressed. The boot was larger than I’d have imagined, and the rear space, although tight, allows feet to go under the front seats quite easily. Rear space isn’t important for me tbh, but it was interesting that it felt quite spacious, albeit not as much as the Yaris where the greater glass area made it feel brighter inside.

The CH-R felt like a high quality product, and is bigger than both. I wasn’t a massive fan of the dashboard layout - it seemed to be form over function when compared with the other two - but as with all things you get used to things you use every day.

Next step is to drive all three and see if, actually how readily, I can live with the downsize from an RX. Price is also a consideration. Broadly, based on discussions with the dealers and for comparable (top ish) specs and with indicated discounts factored in, it would be about £29k for the Yaris (AWD), £34k for the CH-R (FWD) and almost £40k for the LBX. I still feel like the LBX is overpriced in comparison despite clearly being a lovely thing. The question will be whether I think it’s worth it vs other priorities.

I’m also looking at and driving a Mazda CX-30 on Tuesday for a further option.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Lots of interesting views on this thread, it does show how different drivers have different priorities and opinions.

I looked at the new CH-R, Yaris Cross, and LBX yesterday and back to back (to back!). There was also a UX in the Lexus showroom.

For me, the LBX feels like a higher quality car than the UX. That’s mostly about perception, and it is a newer model, but for me the interior is ‘proper Lexus’ whereas the UX has never been quite there in my opinion. Seeing them both side by side yesterday reinforced that for me.

The Yaris Cross felt good. I like the higher seating position, and it’s a practical thing for the size. The downside was it felt a bit ‘tinny’ and there were harder plastics in areas such as the door tops where the others are softer. The LBX was at the other end of the spectrum and I was impressed. The boot was larger than I’d have imagined, and the rear space, although tight, allows feet to go under the front seats quite easily. Rear space isn’t important for me tbh, but it was interesting that it felt quite spacious, albeit not as much as the Yaris where the greater glass area made it feel brighter inside.

The CH-R felt like a high quality product, and is bigger than both. I wasn’t a massive fan of the dashboard layout - it seemed to be form over function when compared with the other two - but as with all things you get used to things you use every day.

Next step is to drive all three and see if, actually how readily, I can live with the downsize from an RX. Price is also a consideration. Broadly, based on discussions with the dealers and for comparable (top ish) specs and with indicated discounts factored in, it would be about £29k for the Yaris (AWD), £34k for the CH-R (FWD) and almost £40k for the LBX. I still feel like the LBX is overpriced in comparison despite clearly being a lovely thing. The question will be whether I think it’s worth it vs other priorities.

I’m also looking at and driving a Mazda CX-30 on Tuesday for a further option.

I just dumped my 8 month old ES in favour for a top of range CX30, 4wd, skyactive x . Tried to order an LBX but it was A too expensive and B the trade in value on my almost new ES was so ridiculous, I walked away and sold it on Motorway for an extra £6k

The Mazda is a firmer and sportier setup comfy and fun and a good size, and has every extra needed. The only thing I am missing is the slightly better fuel (missing the hybrid)

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Tonyw said:

I just dumped my 8 month old ES in favour for a top of range CX30, 4wd, skyactive x . Tried to order an LBX but it was A too expensive and B the trade in value on my almost new ES was so ridiculous, I walked away and sold it on Motorway for an extra £6k

The Mazda is a firmer and sportier setup comfy and fun and a good size, and has every extra needed. The only thing I am missing is the slightly better fuel (missing the hybrid)

I am in a similar position after test driving the LBX, a beautiful car, but my wife found the passenger seat to be so uncomfortable we are forced to look elsewhere. Yaris Cross felt a poor relation after the LBX (though maybe the new Premiere Edition might be better). Mazda CX-30 felt gutless and I missed the power of a turbo at lower revs, had to really rev the Mazda to get it to go! Not a fan of the CH-R looks, felt I should be 30 years younger to admire it!!!!

Now booked a test drive in a 1.5 litre VW T-Roc tomorrow, a quick sit in a neighbours entry level T-Roc proved the seats were okayish so hoping the top models leather seats are better. Mini Countryman and Volvo 40 are really much bigger than we need, how can they still call it a Mini when it’s nearly 4.4 metres long?

Any other ideas welcomed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Expatma said:

I am in a similar position after test driving the LBX, a beautiful car, but my wife found the passenger seat to be so uncomfortable we are forced to look elsewhere. Yaris Cross felt a poor relation after the LBX (though maybe the new Premiere Edition might be better). Mazda CX-30 felt gutless and I missed the power of a turbo at lower revs, had to really rev the Mazda to get it to go! Not a fan of the CH-R looks, felt I should be 30 years younger to admire it!!!!

Now booked a test drive in a 1.5 litre VW T-Roc tomorrow, a quick sit in a neighbours entry level T-Roc proved the seats were okayish so hoping the top models leather seats are better. Mini Countryman and Volvo 40 are really much bigger than we need, how can they still call it a Mini when it’s nearly 4.4 metres long?

Any other ideas welcomed.

Out of interest was it the skyactive X or G you took out on test? I agree my X is a bit disappointing from standstill (it’s the lack of the Battery boost as well on the hybrids) but the G is even worse apparently. If Mazda have us the turbo engine from the US it would be perfect. 

I’ve started looking for something to replace my is300 I have had for 10 years. Drawn up a similar list to everybody else.

LBX, CHR, Corolla, CX 30, Honda Civic

Quite liked the LBX but expensive in Takumi spec, CHR not sure about the interior and not a fan of flush door handles. Liked the CX 30 in Takumi spec but mate has just got one and it seems a bit thirsty. Civic similar size to my IS but not sure the build quality is as good as the doors felt a bit tinny. 

There are compromises to be had with all of them from boot size that will fit golf clubs and trolley in to rear seat space and dealer proximity.

Out of all of them my favourite is my IS300 it’s a shame Lexus stopped it as a modern version would probably have been my choice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, walakalulu said:

I would’ve looked elsewhere too - but up to 10 years warranty on Toyota/Lexus is a no brainier for me. Just extra cautious I guess…

The ten year warranty is attractive but I rarely keep a car more than 5-6 years and an extra warranty is often available when you buy the car. To be honest generally modern cars are very reliable and I can't remember when I last had a warranty claim.

9 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

.... Out of all of them my favourite is my IS300 it’s a shame Lexus stopped it as a modern version would probably have been my choice.

Saw loads of the IS in the US last year, they really look great

image.thumb.png.eb2016d8bc271dd1feeb154d35634a3b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob99 said:

I’ve started looking for something to replace my is300 I have had for 10 years. Drawn up a similar list to everybody else.

LBX, CHR, Corolla, CX 30, Honda Civic

Quite liked the LBX but expensive in Takumi spec, CHR not sure about the interior and not a fan of flush door handles. Liked the CX 30 in Takumi spec but mate has just got one and it seems a bit thirsty. Civic similar size to my IS but not sure the build quality is as good as the doors felt a bit tinny. 

There are compromises to be had with all of them from boot size that will fit golf clubs and trolley in to rear seat space and dealer proximity.

Out of all of them my favourite is my IS300 it’s a shame Lexus stopped it as a modern version would probably have been my choice.

Your IS 300h probably isn't worth that much now - keep running it until it gives up? I'm in the same position - really like my IS 300h and just can't see what else to move to at the moment that would give me anything more so for now it's cheap motoring to keep it... 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links