Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential LC Purchase - CANBUS

I don't think it's anything to do with the LC500 per se, but rather just a reflection of the general market.

Many are tightening their belts financially, and moving down a tier or two when it comes to their cars.

I thought 10 x IsF's for sale was highish but when you consider only about 220 were sold in the UK then it conforms to the norm of about 4 - 5%.   Also a similar figure for more ordinary cars such as Focus ST and the like. 5% + or -  .

There’s about 550 LCs in the UK so based on 36 autotrader ads that’s about 6.5%. I do watch the ads (mainly to see how many moneys I’ve lost) - there’s a few that might never sell eg the Wigan silver one with funny coloured wheels at £52,000 - earliest record I have of that was £66,000 in April 2022! You’d give up after nearly two years, surely?

My guess on the canbus theft risk is not many owners or potential owners know it’s a problem - we only know of one LC theft which is positive I suppose. Hopefully the insurance industry is still as unaware.

10 minutes ago, eightk said:

Hopefully the insurance industry is still as unaware

I am afraid that the insurance companies use dark forces to cheat and rob you. Expect nothing from them and you won't be disappointed. They have a "thing " about Lexus now, as Linas implies, so we are all victims now.   Get me Garlic and crucifix Vicar!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GMB said:

I am afraid that the insurance companies use dark forces to cheat and rob you. Expect nothing from them and you won't be disappointed. They have a "thing " about Lexus now, as Linas implies, so we are all victims now.   Get me Garlic and crucifix Vicar!

May I as an atheist politely suggest the head of the head of Lexus on a stick instead?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would pop in, though briefly.  I read this forum quite extensively before I bought my LC about 18 months ago, and it was generally very helpful so thank you to everyone who takes time to contribute and answer.  I must now sadly report I am an LC theft victim, presumably through canbus.  Car was parked outside, in west London, and it was 100% locked and secured plus of course I still have the keys.  It was too far away from my house for a keyless extender theft to work, and a low loader would have been noticed because of limited access. 

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, ExLex said:

Just thought I would pop in, though briefly.  I read this forum quite extensively before I bought my LC about 18 months ago, and it was generally very helpful so thank you to everyone who takes time to contribute and answer.  I must now sadly report I am an LC theft victim, presumably through canbus.  Car was parked outside, in west London, and it was 100% locked and secured plus of course I still have the keys.  It was too far away from my house for a keyless extender theft to work, and a low loader would have been noticed because of limited access. 

What a shower of bastards 😞

Lexus deserve a huge kicking 😞 

3 hours ago, ExLex said:

Sorry to hear this. I'll be picking up my new LC CV on Wednesday after the Lexus-recommended Tracker S5 plus is fitted. This sends an alert but does not immobilise if the ID tag is not present. Looks like this won't be enough to scupper the scrotes and I will need a ghost-type immobiliser too.

15 hours ago, ExLex said:

And the saga continues with lexus seen to be doing nothing.

Sorry to hear your car got stolen, hope insurance value it correctly.

12 hours ago, whereoncewaswonder said:

Sorry to hear this. I'll be picking up my new LC CV on Wednesday after the Lexus-recommended Tracker S5 plus is fitted. This sends an alert but does not immobilise if the ID tag is not present. Looks like this won't be enough to scupper the scrotes and I will need a ghost-type immobiliser too.

I have a Scorpion S5 fitted with an immobiliser - no fob present, no start. It was a £100 upgrade to add the fob and immobiliser. It’s also worth considering that any half decent auto electrician could add a hidden switch for the brake pedal - no brake light switch engaged = no start.. or the fuel pump relay is easy to find and add a cutout to that. Also add stickers to advertise the fact an immobiliser is fitted - it might (might!) stop your bumper being damaged.

16 hours ago, ExLex said:

Now you need to start making some serious noise with Lexus - via social media or physically at your dealer (Saturday afternoons are quite busy) to make damn sure they know you’re not happy. This is completely fixable but we really don’t want to get to the Land Rover stage where cars can’t be insured before Lexus get a grip and issue a recall to upgrade the canbus system or fit immobilisers to all cars. Even the RX canbus plates aren’t publicised - it’s down to the owner to firstly know about the problem and also that theres a solution and then to beg and plead to get them fitted. Not good customer service!

Thanks for the comments.  Ironically, many of my neighbours and local friends have had Range Rovers and RXs stolen in the last few years, and even a couple of mavericks with X5s.  (I was going to say 'everyone I know with a Range Rover has had a theft';  it isn't quite true but not far off).  So I was aware of the problem both from this forum and experience, but I actually said to myself while sitting at the dealer "an LC will be fine, these thefts are all for SUVs that can be exported to Africa / E Europe, nobody will want to go yomping through the dunes in a V8 coupe".  I shall be learning from my mistake and ordering a Nissan Combi van as a replacement. 

Haven't had anything from the insurers yet but I'm expecting they'll offer me trade bids, for something that sells with a big dealer spread.  I've also written to Lexus UK but nothing will come of that, though I was clear that I won't be buying another (we've had four or five Lexus over the years) and I'll be telling everyone I know the same.

I agree with the suggestions above about putting a hidden isolator switch into the fuel pump or similar, and wish I had done it, and will do on all my future cars.  A few hundred pounds work at a competent garage to save a lot of aggravation, plus 50p for a sticker in the wheel arch saying 'tough luck, suckers'.

• Like 1

Another regular customer gone - 4 to 5 previous Lexuses.

I'm looking at eBay sticker printers - just a little custom printed vinyl decal for each front bumper corner politely listing the measures they'll have to defeat before nicking my car.

Real shame a second LC has gone - the first one was recovered on the south coast in a shipping container bound for Dubai but I seem to remember the ex-owner didn't want it back.

Do please keep us updated here if it turns up - I'll bet if recovered it'll be showing signs of front passenger side bumper damage.

This is indeed sad to hear that a 2nd LC theft has occurred. I've recently ordered a 2024 coupe and due to collect end of this week. Arranged Scorpion S5+ tracker to be installed at the dealership prior to the handover. Look like I need a CANBUS immobiliser as well.

Trying to decide between Ghost II and Scorpion X-Series immobiliser. Any recommendations from existing members?

You need a physical deterrent - none of the immobilisers etc will prevent them damaging the car before they realise it's a non-starter.

Make sure your vehicle is too much risk to touch vs others in the area.

Locked garage with something else in front, bollards, etc etc.

• Like 1

There already seems to have been an effect on insurance. I have multi-car with Hastings and they would not even quote on adding my incoming LC CV to the policy. Despite the fact the new car will be living in a locked garage behind electric gates and I have made no claims.

Just rang Lexus Customer relations asking about after-market immobilisers and they said that any issues with the car arising from the immobiliser would invalidate the warranty for that fault. I'll be going with the Ghost 2 regardless. 

They also said they have had no reports of canbus vulnerability on the LC! 😂

14 minutes ago, whereoncewaswonder said:

There already seems to have been an effect on insurance. I have multi-car with Hastings and they would not even quote on adding my incoming LC CV to the policy. Despite the fact the new car will be living in a locked garage behind electric gates and I have made no claims.

Just rang Lexus Customer relations asking about after-market immobilisers and they said that any issues with the car arising from the immobiliser would invalidate the warranty for that fault. I'll be going with the Ghost 2 regardless. 

They also said they have had no reports of canbus vulnerability on the LC! 😂

Hah!

I have it in writing from them!  Dodgy gits!

1 hour ago, BrettMRC said:

You need a physical deterrent - none of the immobilisers etc will prevent them damaging the car before they realise it's a non-starter.

Make sure your vehicle is too much risk to touch vs others in the area.

Locked garage with something else in front, bollards, etc etc.

Thanks Brett. I didn't want to put a bright yellow metal on the steering wheel. But, it seems a visible physical deterrent is needed as my Ultimate Edition coupe will be only 1 of 1 in the UK.

• Like 1

My spin on this……

Having had people break into my house looking for keys (years ago) whilst I was in the house, I’d rather just wake up and the car be gone. End of.

I don’t want some determined bar steward standing over my bed with a baseball bat asking for a ghost code.

Visual deterrents are surely the best. Even better friend, the law of averages. There surely can’t be much demand for an LC, and most LCs seem to be that yucky red colour - nobody would want one of those, surely 😜

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear of your car being stolen Mac, it really is awful that Lexus UK haven't stepped up sooner. It seems like Lexus have been in the spotlight based on other forum posts with a BBC Watchdog article. If it was a forum member/affected owner that pushed for this, good on them! Shame that it took 3 years and such an article to prompt a national campaign.

Hopefully the remedy that Lexus are looking to implement is a proper one and actually does resolve the issue, not just a sticking plaster like the RX plates. There have been some pretty damning comments on the Lexus press release, deservedly so I'd say. Feel free to put in your two pence worth, that article will have quite a bit of footfall I'd have thought.

Please do let us know how you current LC owners are affected by this and any information you can glean, I'd be interested to hear for sure. Fingers crossed I can resume my search for a new car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links