Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, it has happened, rear near side tyre has found a nail, about one and a half inches from the tyre shoulder, but within the tread pattern. 
It goes without saying none of the tyre dealers out there will repair it, as usual, ‘ it’s a new tyre mate’ 

However, my local garage, who I have dealt with over many years, removed the nail, and has put a plug in it, which appears, for the time being having solved my problem if a slow puncture!

I have previously owned VW Touareg, and Audi Q5, both permanent 4 wheel drive, and if I changed tyres, it had to be as a pair, due to gearbox wind, apparently?

Now back to the RX, this is not a permanent 4 wheel dive, and as such, I will replace the one affected tyre, eventually.

The RX is predominantly a front wheel drive, and the tyres on the affected rear axle have only covered 9.5k miles, so am I correct in thinking I could get away with changing just the one tyre?

Now, my tyres are Dunlop sport Max 050, 235 55 20, V rated, and despite my best efforts, I find the best price to be £166, which is fine, but, the price also seems to stretch to £220 each, but every where I go, no stock, or currently unavailable.

Obviously I don’t want to change both tyres on the axle, so it does appear for the time being I’m sticking with the plug, of which there are various reports out there, all confirm they are perfectly legal, some say they have lasted the life of the tyre, others say a temporary fix, which is my preferred option.

So it’s a case of watch this space, as I continue to search, perhaps try my dealer tomorrow!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, larryadler said:

Well, it has happened, rear near side tyre has found a nail, about one and a half inches from the tyre shoulder, but within the tread pattern. 
It goes without saying none of the tyre dealers out there will repair it, as usual, ‘ it’s a new tyre mate’ 

However, my local garage, who I have dealt with over many years, removed the nail, and has put a plug in it, which appears, for the time being having solved my problem if a slow puncture!

I have previously owned VW Touareg, and Audi Q5, both permanent 4 wheel drive, and if I changed tyres, it had to be as a pair, due to gearbox wind, apparently?

Now back to the RX, this is not a permanent 4 wheel dive, and as such, I will replace the one affected tyre, eventually.

The RX is predominantly a front wheel drive, and the tyres on the affected rear axle have only covered 9.5k miles, so am I correct in thinking I could get away with changing just the one tyre?

Now, my tyres are Dunlop sport Max 050, 235 55 20, V rated, and despite my best efforts, I find the best price to be £166, which is fine, but, the price also seems to stretch to £220 each, but every where I go, no stock, or currently unavailable.

Obviously I don’t want to change both tyres on the axle, so it does appear for the time being I’m sticking with the plug, of which there are various reports out there, all confirm they are perfectly legal, some say they have lasted the life of the tyre, others say a temporary fix, which is my preferred option.

So it’s a case of watch this space, as I continue to search, perhaps try my dealer tomorrow!

Change one tyre if the other is approx 70% of tread remaining. 

Doesnt matter what tyre you put on as long as its the same type of tyre as in summer tyre in your case

The changing tyres in pairs after a puncture on a 4wd car is a good money maker and nothing more unless theres a large difference in tread

• Like 1

RAC man today popped on my spacesaver spare ……. On my Honda Legend AWD ……. Nail in front near side but both Falkens on this axle done about 23.5k miles so I’m changing the pair ……. for more Falkens ……. matching pair again mind syndrome 😄

Not worth a puncture repair …… even if they could …… I haven’t checked …… they’ve had a good trouble free life and look quite worn generally …….

Had they covered just 9.5k miles I’d have repaired if I could  …….. even being AWD car 

Your repair must be legal and ok otherwise your professional tyre guy wouldn’t have done it …… no reason for it not to last as long as it’s matching axle mate does too …… and then you’ll replace the pair in due time I’m sure 

Save your £££££ all the while it’s sensible to …….. and no one with credible professional advice advises otherwise 

Good luck 

Malc 

Will you tyre man not vulcanise the repair as this is way better than a plug, 

• Like 1

That’s a no, as the puncture is too close to the tyre shoulder for a vulcanised interval patch to stay in place , hence the plug is a better option in his opinion.

My choice will be to replace the tyre , but can’t bloody find a Dunlop anywhere that’s in stock, so may have to put another brand on that corner!

7 hours ago, larryadler said:

so may have to put another brand on that corner!

Unfortunately, this is where you may come unstuck…literally!

No tyre manufacturer recommends that you mix tyre brands on the same axle.  That they must be of exactly the same size is obvious,  but it’s equally important that they are of the same compound and tread pattern otherwise they may react differently when under stress - such as cornering - and adverse conditions - such as a wet road.

In your case the tyre is nearly new, but you can see how even replacing the punctured tyre with a new Dunlop Maxx could create a performance difference if the other Dunlop Maxx was down to, say, 3mm.

This is what Dunlop themselves claim about the ‘superior’ compound and tread development of the Sport Maxx.  It’s unlikely that they would accept that another brand would match its performance characteristics.

The Dunlop Sport Maxx is developed using motorsport-derived polymers that react to the road’s surface, maximising road contact and grip. This adaptive compound technology not only improves grip but delivers precision and enhanced safety whilst driving. 

The well-thought design of the Dunlop Sport Maxx is the reason why this tyre performs so well. Enjoy enhanced cornering control due to large shoulder blocks enhancing stability, allowing for a smooth and precise drive on the straight and a bend. 

The Dunlop Sport Maxx provides shorter braking distances even whilst driving at motorway speeds. The short braking blocks increase contact with the road under braking force to deliver quick, safe braking at high speed.

12 hours ago, larryadler said:

... removed the nail, and has put a plug in it, which appears, for the time being having solved my problem if a slow puncture! ....
.... Obviously I don’t want to change both tyres on the axle, so it does appear for the time being I’m sticking with the plug, of which there are various reports out there, all confirm they are perfectly legal, some say they have lasted the life of the tyre, others say a temporary fix, which is my preferred option.

I once had the same problem with a nail in one of the front tyres of an IS250, which was particularly upsetting because (a) it happened when I was more than 1500km from home, and (b) I had been planning to trade the car in for a new one and was therefore not enthusiastic about laying out money for a new tyre (or probably two).  In the event I was lucky to find what turned out to be an honest workshop that put in a plug with the assurance that it would not only get me home but would last the life of the tyre, which had then done about 14000km.  The first assurance proved demonstrably correct, though I admit to having being nagged by worry during the long drive home, albeit without any justification whatsoever seeing that I subsequently got another problem-free 7000km+ out of the tyre before taking delivery of the new car.

• Like 2

I've got a new Yokohama on one rear (brand new with 2 of the same up front) and a Bridgestone on the other rear.(still 4mm tread left). The Yokohamas were fitted by Lexus and no mention of having different makes, so I guess that's OK with me.

• Sad 1

I fitted tyres for a while when I was a lad and plug repairs are perfectly fine.

I would actually prefer this repair method over a normal patch since the stem of the plug also fills out the entry wound. Meaning there's less chance of the steel belts inside the carcass getting corroded from water ingress.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Not worth a puncture repair …… even if they could …… I haven’t checked …… t

update on mine today at ProTyres Sittingbourne.... .  the punctured one had a nail in it but split the sidewall too when parking up   ...  2 x 235/50/17 Falken tyres fitted and all-up £240 incl. AND they checked the tracking etc and all was fine they assured me ..  so that's a bonus 👍

Fingers xd they'll last maybe 25k miles or more 

Malc

30 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

update on mine today at ProTyres Sittingbourne.... .  the punctured one had a nail in it but split the sidewall too when parking up   ...  2 x 235/50/17 Falken tyres fitted and all-up £240 incl. AND they checked the tracking etc and all was fine they assured me ..  so that's a bonus 👍

Fingers xd they'll last maybe 25k miles or more 

Malc

We know the tyres will last 25k, but the jury's still out on the driver.😉

• Haha 2

Somebody should be selling tyres for over 70's with 3mm tread! I mean do we really need 6mm?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Somebody should be selling tyres for over 70's with 3mm tread! I mean do we really need 6mm?

Well….I do Stephen!
I never let my tyres get below 3mm.  Apparently that’s the point at which performance deteriorates rapidly.

On the other hand, my annual mileage is so low that the problem of new tyres may not be my problem!

• Like 1

Thanks Len, i am sure The Dunlop claim is no different to any other tyre manufacturer when they market their product.

The problem is, I can’t find one, they are all unavailable!

I am not happy to continue any longer than I have to with the repaired tyre, and I ain’t changing two, so a Michelin, Goodyear or Bridgestone may be the only option.

The emphasis really is they are all radial ply these days.

What does the Highway Code say about tyres……only use round black ones 🤣😂

• Like 1

Well, I’m now at the end of my together. Today I left my RX on the drive, and there it can bloody well stay. This really is a ***** show when you can’t get a tyre for two days.

The option to replaced the damage Dunlop, like for like, ain’t happening, cos there ain’t t none.

Lexus tell me the Dunlop, on 18 month old RX are a discontinued tyre, but bless ‘em, they did offer a Bridgestone at £285!!!!

Tyre dealers knocking them out for £224!

So having done my homework, looks like sticking a Yokohama on the near side rear, which from comments here seem to be what the dealers are doing anyway. I don’t see it as being a problem,as it’s not actually  on the driven axle.

The fear is you get a puncture when your abroad, what chance of sourcing a new tyre then 🥴

Complex cars with complex tyres ……. gone are the days of rational simplicity it would seem …….. oh for the blessed joys of mere “ ordinary “ powerful cars with old fashioned uncomplex tyres and wheels 

Good luck with your next options and thoughts 

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links