Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise when running on electric motor

Driving slowly with only the electric motor running my 2023 UX250h makes a kinda dry rubbing sound. Inside the car with windows closed it's hardly noticeable but friends standing outside have commented on the noise. I'm not particularly concerned and was intending leaving it until it's first service in July but wondered if others have noticed a similar noise? Is it perhaps an intentional noise to warn pedestrians?

Does it sound like the UFO noise when a car was featured in the puppet show? Yes, it's most likely the Warning noise as mentioned. Mine stops around 15mph I think. I hear my wife coming home from about 100 yards away as her Yaris also creates this noise. It gives me chance to look busy when she arrives!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It’s a noise generator Roger that is a legal requirement.   You can’t switch it off I’m afraid.   All electric cars have to do it including Hybrids running on electric up to a certain speed.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Why can’t they make it sound like an LFA or even a V8?

That would alert pedestrians for sure.  It’s only in our luvvy snowflake society that not getting run over isn’t part of looking what you’re doing.  Another legacy from the USA were no doubt litigation was brought against a silent car.  My dealer calls it “the voice of angels” but I’m afraid of scaring my neighbours when I return from work after midnight.  Sounds like ghosties wailing! 👻 

• Like 1

I am currently in Japan where Toyota is King and none of their cars have the pedestrian warning sound. 

They have some amazing London taxi lookalike Toyotas and great mini vans too 😀

It’s weird now that new electric and hybrid cars are louder than modern petrols at low speed which are virtually silent yet need no artificial warning sound 🤔 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stepppy said:

I am currently in Japan where Toyota is King and none of their cars have the pedestrian warning sound. 

They have some amazing London taxi lookalike Toyotas and great mini vans too 😀

It’s weird now that new electric and hybrid cars are louder than modern petrols at low speed which are virtually silent yet need no artificial warning sound 🤔 

You can visit the Lexus factory - it’s free.  There is a way of silencing the noise generator - gaffer tape is involved 😉

• Like 1

Thanks all. I've done a little research and found it's called "acoustic vehicle alert system" or "vehicle proximity notification system".

11 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Why can’t they make it sound like an LFA or even a V8?

I agree a V8 rumble would be a much better noise!

It's tempting to muffle it with gaffer tape but as you guys have said it is a legal requirement for electric vehicles in the UK and various other countries and shouldn't, therefore, be disabled. I couldn't find anything specific for the UX250h but this 2012 post might show a similar system on the CT200h: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017/622054-vehicle-proximity-notification-system.html or this 2019 post re the RX450h system: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/933897-disabling-vehicle-proximity-notification-system-vpns-2020-rx-450h.html

I can just see this as an MOT advisory.

Minor faults.

Section ivv  “Unable to check hybrid engine noise generator as partially obscured by gaffer tape”

3 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I can just see this as an MOT advisory.

Minor faults.

Section ivv  “Unable to check hybrid engine noise generator as partially obscured by gaffer tape”

Might get away with it in an MoT but I wonder what position insurance companies would take if a pedestrian were injured having not heard an "acoustic vehicle alert system" that was found to have been deliberately muffled.

Very true with this “Where’s there’s blame, there’s a claim”

Not much point having a Lexus V8 noise though, pedestrians don’t hear my 4.3 litres creeping up behind them either 😀

• Haha 1

Oh aye, when every other car has a number plate made up to spell their name and people interfere with performance chips, I don’t think reducing the volume of the woo woo maker is going to attract the attention of the flying squad.  20,000 new cops on the street my left foot.  

• Like 4

On 3/29/2024 at 12:27 AM, Don C said:

Oh aye, when every other car has a number plate made up to spell their name and people interfere with performance chips, I don’t think reducing the volume of the woo woo maker is going to attract the attention of the flying squad.  20,000 new cops on the street my left foot.  

You're right there Don. If in Scotland the police now have respond to any complaint under their new Hate Crime Law which is such a wide field that drivers will have no fear of seeing a patrol car as the officers will all be busy checking whether someone saying they don't like Tartan is an ethnic hate crime or not!

World has gone crazy and this is not the society I thought we would have in the 21st century. Where are all the Gull wing cars, the Nehru collar suits and the Aliens? Hang-on, I've slipped into childhood TV progs again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I talked about this on the NX forum last year: 

Mine makes a noise like someone dis-embowelling a dalek, I can sometimes hear it in the car, but it does cut off at 15mph. It's only when going forwards. I think if it beeped like a reversing truck (Kia's do this?) would make me want to change my car.

Apparently it's a UN directive (UN R138.01) picked up by many countries, to help vulnerable road users to be more aware of almost silent BEVs & PHEVs.

You would think that as we've spent £50, 60, 70k on a car we should be able to choose the noise it makes - I'd pick the sound of an ice cream van and turn the volume up, to upset the expectant children when they see it's me and not the ice cream man coming down the street!! 😂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links