Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I’ve had a 2004 rx 300 for over 4 years and it’s been  a fabulous car but sadly it’s got to the age of replacement, I’m looking at a 2009 rx400 hybrid and want to know if there’s anything I should look out for, it’s done just under 100,000 miles which I know is only just run in for a Lexus but being a hybrid it’s new ground for me, any hints?

Really you need to check the same things as the RX300. Rust, especially underneath, water ingress into the boot well (which is especially important to check on the 400h as it can get into the hybrid battery). Timing belt changed. Check for suspension/steering play/noises as it's a big heavy car that puts stress on those components.

• Like 1

Ask to see the trunk chassis and frame area – to check for water ingress – it can be a bit of an issue with our 400s.

Know when the belt and water pump were last done

Service history is nice to see (20 year old motors may have a mixed heritage in that regard)

Nice to get 2 working, unbroken fob keys and maybe a valet if your lucky

Check radiator plastic for hairline cracks and scalding marks (rad replacement needed).

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks for the tips, to be honest it does look very clean and well looked after but i will give it a good look over

Hi Dom, a topical point from Andy as I've just had a new rad fitted (due to a crack).

Agree with others re service history, especially belt & water pump (every 60k miles is recommended I believe).

Apparently sun roof seals & drain holes are worth a look as they can be suspect re water ingress ... so I'm told ... as I don't have a sun roof on my SR.

MPG tends to depend upon how & where you drive ... but as David suggests, certainly way better than 22!!

Good Luck.

2 minutes ago, Sundance said:

especially belt & water pump (every 60k miles is recommended I believe).

Every 100k/10 years for belt. Ideally the water pump should be done at the same time but isn't on a fixed schedule.

Not too worried about the cam belt and water pump as I’m a mechanic although I work on classic Mercedes. Probably a bargaining tool if it hasn’t been done, I just needed to know what to look out for, thanks all, I’m going to have a look at it on Saturday.

Another thing to check is that the calliper side pins on the rear brakes are free and not sticking. A common fault as the region mode means that the rear brakes do not get a lot of use. Easily fixed by making sure that they are properly greased at regular intervals..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cocker said:

Not too worried about the cam belt and water pump as I’m a mechanic although I work on classic Mercedes. Probably a bargaining tool if it hasn’t been done, I just needed to know what to look out for, thanks all, I’m going to have a look at it on Saturday.

Well, you are in an excellent position to manage a mechanically relatively fixable motor. I have had my 400 since 2018 and put 26K on its now 126K mileage. I bought like you at 100K – 2005 jobbie.

It is a smooth ride. Plenty of ooomph (7.5 secs to 62 MPH – I have tested it and in fact it is a bit quicker by .3).

Plugs are a bit of a mare – east west front bank easy, back 3 pain. But should be straightforward for you.

Can see some brittling of vacuum hoses.

The headlights – upgrading HIDs can actually be done reasonably easily (though your hand takes a bit of a clobbering).

And if you live where I do – Kent – you need something that can handle the road craters Grrrr!!

Sounds like you've done well.

I managed to pick the car up 4 years ago for a bargain £450.00 although it had a couple of issues that took time to sort out but not a lot of money. It’s now done 169,000 mile but still runs like a dream but needs some money spending on it so I’d rather upgrade than spend on it. id get my money back by scrapping it but it’s too good for that, the ideal scenario would be to px it against a newer one. 

I'm running a 2002 GS300 with LPG at the moment, I used to have the RX300 which on normal driving wasn't very good on fuel. I used to do a lot of miles.  I've been looking at the RX400H because of the 30+ MPG. I'm not sure where I saw it, it might have been on here, but there was a guy who put a range extender Battery from a Tesla in his wheel well, which is pretty much the same as an LPG tank, and he tripled his mpg. I was wondering if anybody on here had seen his post and could they repost it. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 10:51 AM, Roy GS said:

I'm running a 2002 GS300 with LPG at the moment, I used to have the RX300 which on normal driving wasn't very good on fuel. I used to do a lot of miles.  I've been looking at the RX400H because of the 30+ MPG. I'm not sure where I saw it, it might have been on here, but there was a guy who put a range extender battery from a Tesla in his wheel well, which is pretty much the same as an LPG tank, and he tripled his mpg. I was wondering if anybody on here had seen his post and could they repost it. Thanks.

I would love to get some details on that. Interested in the insurance implications also. 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:00 AM, Lydiamight said:

Another thing to check is that the calliper side pins on the rear brakes are free and not sticking. A common fault as the region mode means that the rear brakes do not get a lot of use. Easily fixed by making sure that they are properly greased at regular intervals..

This is good advice. Mine seized and had to but a new caliper holder or whatever it was called. With two new tyres and rear brake pad and discs, an MOT cost over £1k. This on top of a £500 radiator bill 6 months ago

By coincidence I am also looking for a RX400h - the water leaks that get near the hybrid Battery are a concern: does anyone know if it's possible to get to that area to check it without damaging any trim (I imagine a seller will not want a prospective buyer to be causing any damage)?

thanks 

A simple check is do all the windows steam up when the car is parked in the sun, this is a sign of water ingress somewhere in the vehicle.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links