Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should There Be ......

MrADeveci

Should we have a Legal Help / Advice Section?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Legal Help / Advice Section?

• YES
    • NO

At present anybody can post a question in the general forums (either Lexus/car forum or the non-car related forum) asking a legal question and members can reply which is fine. Anything more than that and I would advice that person to seek their own legal advice.

Also people search through old threads and the law may have changed (window tint levels, tyre thread depth etc). If there is a dedicated forum is somebody going to go back through old threads and amend the advice given or state the advice no longer applies?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have a vaild point Paul - but i guess my major concern is someone posting some erronus advice, at least with cars, someone like Mat will pop up and disagree..

but if someone says, for example, you can get off a speeding ticket by returning the slip without a signature (which by the way is a loophole that i believe has now closed), it could cause someone more hassle than if they just paid the fine in the first place..

Now, ignoring the accountability aspect, I still worry about things being posted that are incorrect, 'urban myths' or just wrong.. and people following that advice to their detriment...

and your comparison, while good, is not accurate - as its not as if you would post about a product unless you had experience of it - whereas, i can imagine a lot of people posting 'hearsay' to do with the law (such as the calibration thing - which has been irrelavant for 5 years now)

i hear ya ian,, but my answer to that one would be that, to use your example of hte speeding ticket, the person is looking for a way out of being caught speeding, something that is against the law and so tough s...hite.. know what i mean..

i would still say that my analogy is valid though ian, as wouldnt a policeman talk from experiance ie what in the 'police handbook' (as in me recommending a mod that i have experianced) it would still be upto you to heed or ignore that recomendation or advice..

I also would hope that in any matters where one is after legal advice, one would also seek a second opnion..

Law is law,, aint two ways about that,, and yes it is open to interpritaion thats when it comes down to who's solicitor can argue the toss the best....

but if all mr pacino..err scarface lol. is offering is facts as to where one stands from a policemans point of view,, ie law that is in force and not law that can be argued (in my opinion) then that is all good and i would like to see that..

so with that being said.. mr pacino (cant help it sorry) what canyou tell me about these tallivans (or traffic safety camera vans) what is in the handbook regards the warning signs that should be displayed to alert road users of the presence of a mobile speed camera van,,

if the signs are not diplayed correctly can that be used as a defence against being caught,, i have read that this line of defence cannot be used, all that it will mean is that the offending van willbe kicked off (or told off more likely) the scheme..

[quote name=so with that being said.. mr pacino (cant help it sorry) what canyou tell me about these tallivans (or traffic safety camera vans) what is in the handbook regards the warning signs that should be displayed to alert road users of the presence of a mobile speed camera van' date=',

if the signs are not diplayed correctly can that be used as a defence against being caught,, i have read that this line of defence cannot be used, all that it will mean is that the offending van willbe kicked off (or told off more likely) the scheme..

Fargo,

Hi again, well in answer to your question, is that.

The ACPO (assosiation of chief police officers) guidelines says that the police "should" display pre warning signs, and shouldn't really stand out of the way, especially in the unmarked vans that you find on roads like the A127 (southend road)

However, the ACPO are only guidelines, they are not a "MUST" that have to be enforced, such as the ACPO guidelines say that the speed limit for prosecuting someone should be 10% + 2 , this again, is sometimes not adherd to, and like you rightfully stated, if this is the case, the van / police unit will be told off, and asked to move location.

I've goto go to work now ! ..... but I'll be back later.

Oh and fargo, you can call me, Mr Montana :-) lol, or pacino, whatever picks your fancy ! lol :ph34r:

i think its a bad idea - i mean, the law is open to interpertation at the best of times.. and as Claire says, if we have something that is incorrect or innaccurate - the club could be held accountable..

wouldnt that be the same as any other piece of advise offered on these forums,,ie i recommend a particular mod,, you go ahead and get the same mod,, your car then blows up,, whoose to be held accountable.. me, you or the club..

if i recommend a set of tyres that in my opnion (and i think that is the key word) perform well in the wet.. and you fit them and have an accident in the wet cause the tyres didnt grip,, whoose to blame..

solicitors will only recommend a course of action or offer advice.. it is up to the client if they wish to pursue the cousrse of action or advice

So i reckon that if the terms of the 'legal advice section' were pinned permently and made clear that it is only ADVICE being offered, LOC are nto accountable blah blah.. (in fact a solicitor can type that one up) then i cant see how LOC can come into any problems..

But it's not initiated by the club or necessarily endorsed by the club if members post their comments and recommendations adhoc. If we have a formal forum it sort of implements us more as a Club I would have thought.

Think it's a good idea and if there's a way of doing it without comeback on the Club then it's worthwhile, but would be hesitant about it unless there was assurances LOC couldn't be held legally responsible for the advice

i think its a good idea !

if all the answers are advise ie : in my opinion my advise would be....

i cant see anything to cause trouble

not sure if you stood up in court and said "i read it on the internet" you would be taken too seriously anyway

as allready stated help and information is available for all subjects allready on the forum

good idea Mr Scarface :D

i think its a brill idea................

now :shifty: where do i stash the snow.......................

with the Guns, or with the immigrants, im smuggling in :unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

PMSL

I think its a FAB idea, the advice that is not the guns/immigrants thing :D

Idea is good, can you advise on the legalities of it first :D Will it be only motor releated? Have you done anything like this before? Have you discussed it with your bosses?

If answers are in the correct vain ... then go for it ...... maybe a trial first on GOLD :)

Idea is good, can you advise on the legalities of it first :D Will it be only motor releated? Have you done anything like this before? Have you discussed it with your bosses?

Steve,

Discussing legal matters, that are related with the police is fine. Like I explained, most legal issues can be resolved, and asnwered by searching the internet.

I will make sure that any information that is posted, is accurate , and correct !

:blink:

Idea is good, can you advise on the legalities of it first  :D  Will it be only motor releated? Have you done anything like this before? Have you discussed it with your bosses?

Steve,

Discussing legal matters, that are related with the police is fine. Like I explained, most legal issues can be resolved, and asnwered by searching the internet.

I will make sure that any information that is posted, is accurate , and correct !

:blink:

I think this is a fantastic Idea, as long as it stay's motor related, and is stressed as only advice. You have my vote

pacino mate.. another question for ya.

So a few of us have in car PC's with 7" screens in the dash..

So where does one stand with regards the operation of it,, ie playing your mp3's,,

Does the law see that as the same as playing a dvd or tv... ie its a display screen that diverts your attention..

pacino mate.. another question for ya.

So a few of us have in car PC's with 7" screens in the dash..

So where does one stand with regards the operation of it,, ie playing your mp3's,,

Does the law see that as the same as playing a dvd or tv... ie its a display screen that diverts your attention..

Fargo,

Law says:- Whilst the vehicle is in motion, and not stationary.

You are only allowed to have a screen that displays either

1) = A route guidance (sat nav)

2) = Information about the vehicle (on board computers)

Anything else is not allowed to be used whilst the vehicle is moving.

Whilst stationary, that's no problem, just not whilst you are moving !

so not even a stationary display,, ie information on the screen displaying mp3 track information..

If not then that would make all aftermarket stereo's illegal as they are displaying track info etc.. or are stereo's excempt.. if they are then waht about the alpine unit that have a screen,,

Fargo,

Because I only want to publish accurate info ... I'll check that up for you when I get into work today.

As far as I was aware, it was as I mentioned in the previous post ^.

However, I'll dig up some info today, and post it for you, so you get the correct info ! B)

what with technolgy being faster than the law..

You want one that's really faster than the law ?

How's about this then ... did you know, that the Hackney Carriage Cabs, (the black cabs)

Are STILL BY LAW, supposed to have a bag of hay in the back of the cabs.

WHY ?

Well, because when the 'hackney carriage cabs' were first about many years ago, it was a horse and cart, and the law was that a bag of hey was meant to be carried for the horse.

Well, techonology has evolved, and we now have cabs, that use an engine, however, the law has still not been written off, so, black cabs now are still meant to have a bag of hay in the boot ! - How silly is that !

No hay, £30 fine ! lol

Here's a quick one for you.

I've got Black / Sliver plates on my car, STD size & font, just black & silver.

I know they are ment for cars reg before 1/1/72 only (i think), but what is the police stand on them?

I only ask because we have loads of police round here and ( touch wood) I've never had any trouble ( so far)

Not that I want a nickin but I was wondering do they turn more of a blind eye because they can still be read with ease?

Also What part of london are you in? (I don't want the whole of the met looking for me now!! :lol::lol: )

As for the number plates mate, that's pretty interesting, because someone else asked me about those, they can be deemed illegal, and the offence would be

Registration plate : Not affixed as per regulations.

Now the "regulations" can be a term that is rather wide, this can mean font, size, and even colour.

But, to be honest, your usual bobby on the beat probably wouldn't know this, and if you were to get a ticket for it, it would be £30, and that would be y a traffic cop! :excl::excl:

Even I don't like those :winky:

Edited by ScarFace

• 4 months later...

That law was apparently repealed in 1976

However

It is illegal for two adult men to have s*x in the same house as a third person.

Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

It is illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks (enacted by Edward VI) Chelsea Pensioners may not be impersonated.

A bed may not be hung out of a window.

It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

During his reign, Oliver Cromwell banned the eating of mince pies on Christmas day, as they were insufficiently Puritan.

Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked manequin.

It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.

Picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.

It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

Destroying or defacing money is illegal.

If a steam locomotive is driven on roads, a man must walk in front of the vehicle with a red flag during the day and a red lantern at night to warn passersby.

All steam locomotives are limited to 4mph on roads.

It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.

Interfering with the mail or sleeping with the consort of the Queen is classed as treason, and as such, carries a maximum penalty of death.

Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.

One may not "blemish the peace".

A license is required to keep a lunatic.

Damaging the grass is illegal.

Jesuits, Seminary Priests and other suchlike disobedient Persons must be banished.

Since 1313, MPs are not allowed to don armor in Parliament.

STRANGE CITY LAWS

Chester

You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

Hereford

You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

Liverpool

It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

London

Companies may vote in local elections.

No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police.

York

Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

Isle of Man

Crossbows are banned

Isle of Sark

All land must be left to the eldest son.

Divorces are outlawed.

what with technolgy being faster than the law..

You want one that's really faster than the law ?

How's about this then ... did you know, that the Hackney Carriage Cabs, (the black cabs)

Are STILL BY LAW, supposed to have a bag of hay in the back of the cabs.

WHY ?

Well, because when the 'hackney carriage cabs' were first about many years ago, it was a horse and cart, and the law was that a bag of hey was meant to be carried for the horse.

Well, techonology has evolved, and we now have cabs, that use an engine, however, the law has still not been written off, so, black cabs now are still meant to have a bag of hay in the boot ! - How silly is that !

No hay, £30 fine ! lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links