Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick Question About Vat

Fargo

If someone adds vat to anitem they are selling,, would that mean that the person is registered themselves for VAT..

ive just bought a pen drive on eBay... got is for 16 quid.. then on top of that 5.50 is added for packing and posting by 'other courier' and 1.50 for postal insurance. AND then on top of that 3.50 off for VAT.. pushing the cost to 27 odd quid..

Now i smell a little price inflation thing going on,, ie sell the itme cheap but add lots on packing, posting and VAT.

so what you all reckon.. should he have a vat number if he is charging vat

As far as I am aware, they only have to give vat number on invoice if for goods over £100 ;)

are you sure,, what about all the times when filling up with petrol, youre asked if you want a vat reciept...

brainwave,,, if just asked the finacial director here at work,,, it seems that if someone is charging VAT then they have to be vat registered..whatever the cost of the goods..

what say you, people with there own business'

ahh thats better,, lol thats what i thought.. so ive called his bluff, i asked for hsi vat number and he replied back, "why, is that a problem for you paul"

so i replied back "not a problem for me,, i assume that you are VAT registered if you are charging me VAT,, and if im to claim the vat back myself then could i please have a VAT invoice..

now he as agreed to a VAT invoice,, i wonder if it is for real,, we shal see.,, would be a shame to report this eBay powerseller who has an eBay shop but mysteriously has chosen to hide all his 514 feedback remarks, when he has 10 negatives in the last 12 months with 2 in the last month..

As far as I am aware, they only have to give vat number on invoice if for goods over £100 ;)

are you sure,, what about all the times when filling up with petrol, youre asked if you want a vat reciept...

brainwave,,, if just asked the finacial director here at work,,, it seems that if someone is charging VAT then they have to be vat registered..whatever the cost of the goods..

what say you, people with there own business'

to charge VAT you must be VAT registered by law, if you are not, and you attempt to charge it, you are defrauding the goverment!!!

if you issue an invoice stating VAT it must also show your VAT reg no.

its not a legal requirement to issue a receipt, if under £100, only if it is requested

petrol is a good example of two kinds of purchaser:

private individual ,who doesnt require a vat receipt but will still be issued a receipt but this is not valid for claiming back

where as a business user will need to produce a VAT receipt if he is going to claim it back, or his company is , and generally will have to ask for it in addition to the normal receipt he is given

thats interesting scott, youve raised 2 points there..

1) can anyone point me to a document that backs up the argument of being vat registered or not,, as now there are 2 differing views on this.. they are:- to charge vat you must be registered,, or you only need to be regsitered once you earn 58k+.

2) you mention ebays terms that the price should include vat,, does that apply to Buy It Now items (where the final price is know) or does it apply to auction prices (where the final price is not know in advance)

the only place he mentions vat is in the a Summery of his Selling Policies in which he says "

European buyers please add 17.5% VAT to all bids and any agreed postage or delivery cost, but buyers from rest of world pay no sales fees. If you pay by VISA/AMEX then please allow 3% surcharge. If you pay cash (at bank) or cheque then please add 0.01% or £0.75p to cover bank charges"

scott have you a link to the bit in the terms it mentions vat.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links