Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Baby Seat Please Somebody Help

Need some advice on my baby seat (rear facing first size) Mamas and Papas travel system type. :tsktsk:

It comes in two pieces, a base and the actual seat. The lap part fits into guides in the base, then the seat fits into the base and the chest bit fits into guides around the back of the seat (base always stays in the car) :tsktsk:

Anyway regularly when I fit the seat into the base and try to extend the chest bit around the back the seatbelt locks (as if I've pulled it too fast) :tsktsk:

Heres the problem you can't just back the seatbelt off 6 inches or so and expect it to free up. Once it locks I have to take the whole lot out and its only when the belt is fully retracted that you can begin extending it again. It can sometimes take two or three times to actually get the baby into the car.... :tsktsk:

Been to Lex and they fitted a new seatbelt which made no difference ( though they say its perfectly safe just a pain) :tsktsk:

Sorry this post is so long but is anyone else having the same problem. ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Need some advice on my baby seat (rear facing first size) Mamas and Papas travel system type. :tsktsk:

It comes in two pieces, a base and the actual seat. The lap part fits into guides in the base, then the seat fits into the base and the chest bit fits into guides around the back of the seat (base always stays in the car) :tsktsk:

Anyway regularly when I fit the seat into the base and try to extend the chest bit around the back the seatbelt locks (as if I've pulled it too fast) :tsktsk:

Heres the problem you can't just back the seatbelt off 6 inches or so and expect it to free up. Once it locks I have to take the whole lot out and its only when the belt is fully retracted that you can begin extending it again. It can sometimes take two or three times to actually get the baby into the car.... :tsktsk:

Been to Lex and they fitted a new seatbelt which made no difference ( though they say its perfectly safe just a pain)  :tsktsk:

Sorry this post is so long but is anyone else having the same problem. ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:

Maybe its tryingto tell you not to swear so much when!!! :P

Sounds like a dodgy seatbelt lol. seriously though, i think only excess pressure should result in a seatbelt locking. i would contact lexus again, although mama's and papas should be able to give you an idea of how it should be done. If its not right, it may as well not be there :excl:

Toyota / Lexus belts all operate in the same way - if you pull all (or almost all) the webbing out and the lock mech triggers you have to retract the whole belt to release it (had it in both my IS and previous RAV).

The trick is to pull the belt out slowly and not trigger the lock - takes a while to get the knack but easy after that - honest ...

Surprise Lexus fitted a new mech instead of just explaining how it works (assuming I have understood the issue correctly ..).

Baby seats hate them, hate them, hate them! :tsktsk:

I found Britax Rock a Tot fitted rear facing, easier to install and relatively cheap, circa £40.

Baby seats hate them, hate them, hate them! :tsktsk:

I found Britax Rock a Tot fitted rear facing, easier to install and relatively cheap, circa £40.

But is it comfortable

Have had a base fitted in Lex, from my understanding only the base needs to be secured, the Graco one anyway. Just put the sit in the base and drive away

Might want to take it back and get them to fit it properly for you

Most seats don't fit well in the IS. You should always check with the seat manufacturer for compatibility and be shown how to fit it correctly.

Something like 6-8 out of 10 seats aren't installed correctly and are therefore not as safe as they could be in an accident.

Been to Lex and they fitted a new seatbelt which made no difference ( though they say its perfectly safe just a pain)  :tsktsk:

Sorry this post is so long but is anyone else having the same problem. ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:

Hi mate ive got the same system and it is a pain in the arse. ive found that once you have run the belt through the two base clips and locked in, pull all the belt out and run it around the rim of the base before you put the seat in and it should give you enough slack to put around the back of the seat once you are clicked in.

Hope this makes sense :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Had exactly that problem with mine much sweating and swearing.

Have a Graco one and the both the lap and diagonal feed through tha back of the base it also has an adjustable post thingy that sits on the floor so you just click the seat in and drive. Thought this was the idea of all travel systems.

Can't have it behind the drivers seat as there is not enough room when seat in position for me to drive and I'm not that tall! So it has to go passenger side with the seat pulled forward.

All in all IS not baby seat friendly but who cares

Two of the rear seatbelts are designed to do this. This middle one isn't. It's all documented in the manual :P

I think the idea is that you should pull the seatbelt all the way out so it locks and then allow it to retract and thus hold the child seat firmly. If you don't do this you need to rely on the acceleration/deceleration causing the belt to lock at the moment it's needed instead of permanently.

Two of the rear seatbelts are designed to do this. This middle one isn't. It's all documented in the manual :P

I think the idea is that you should pull the seatbelt all the way out so it locks and then allow it to retract and thus hold the child seat firmly. If you don't do this you need to rely on the acceleration/deceleration causing the belt to lock at the moment it's needed instead of permanently.

Ahhh that makes more sense makes it less frustrating when there's a reason. Cheers for all your answers guess thats one less thing to swear at the car about :blush:

Had the same prob too, until ya get used to belt!!!

Now got the next size seat, so it stays put now :lol:

Yep, got exactly the same problem with my littluns seat!

It's a rear facing Gracco seat, and the seatbelt does extend around it, but only just, which makes getting it out an absolute :tsktsk: !!!!!

What i do to ensure that the seat ain't gonna go anywhere, just incase the seatbelt doesn't have hold properly (coz i thought there was something wrong at first too!) is back the passenger seat up close to it, so that if it does come undone, it can only move about 1/4 of an inch forward.

Stu

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links