Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt

Just been told my cambelt has "sheered" and the garage won't drive it they've pushed it out onto the forcourt.

Does the Tensioners and pulleys need changing?

Should this have been the reason for my rattly engine?

Shall I get just the cambelt changed or the pulley as well?

Thanks

:ohmy:

If it's broken I can understand why they won't start it.

What model is it ? How many miles have you covered ?

I thought the Lexus cambelts were set for renewal at 100k miles, as opposed to the norm for most cars which is 60k.

As well as replacing the belt, I think you can get a belt kit which includes tensioners etc. It's probably not much more than the belt itself.

There are 3 main components that run the timing belt....The belt, Tensioner bearing and an idler bearing,it needs to be stripped for inspection to be sure whats damaged.

Didn't someone else have a premature failure and the dealer / Lexus assisted with the bill in some way - worth doing a search methinks ...

from what i can remeber his car has done 90,000 and has not got a full lexus history so i dont think they will help

Chaps,

The car does have 90,000 with full service history but the last 3 were independent garages.

I've been quotes:

£180 inc VAT for labour

£130 inc VAT for the Cam belt Kit (I'm assuming it's the tensioners etc)

£95 inc VAt for the water pump which they insist should be changed.

I'be been told that the cam belt is being held by a thin piece of belt.

Does this sound about right?

I said change the water pump if it's faulty or you think it's looking ropey but they kept saying it must be changed.

They are going to start tomorrow so any advice is most appeciated.

Thanks

Sunil

if as disscussed in your other post the cambelt is not connected to the water pump why do they need to do both??.prices sound about right ,what prices have you been given to fit the water pump as well ,hopefully cheaper than the £500 you was quoted by the other garage

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links