Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Internet

Adie

I currently have Wanadoo as my internet provider and am thinking about changing. I've been with them for a little over a year. When i was first with them the price for broadband was £30 for 512k. Because my contract was a year minimum i had to pay the £30. I'm still paying £30 for 512k three months after my contract.

I want to maybe upgrade to something faster for downloading purposes. I also dont want the restrictions that some have on downloading.

Before anybody says, I've done a search. I use a wireless laptop and also have a pc with a wireless thingy. These are connected wirelessly to a router.

What would be the best for my setup? I dont have NTL. So it will be through a BT phoneline. I was thinking of using AOL but it seems you guys have had problems with them?

Sorry for my terminology :blush:

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Adie

I can't remember the rules on advertising... but from personal experience I can recommend a company based in Sheffield called PlusNet. They can be found at PlusNet

I think we pay around £20 - 22 for a 2mb line with a download limit, but for not much more ££ you can go unlimited.

Good prices for a fast speed and with a good service.

My 2p's worth.

Dave

For *** sake stay away from AOL!

I used NTL - and should be upgraded to 2Mb very soon. The price is £24.99 which is excellent value.

You can just get the internet access from NTL and they will give you a free ethenet capable modem.

You should be able to plug it straight into the WAN port of your router and configure it pretty simply using the interface of it.

I personally use a Buffalo router and have not had any trouble for about 14 months with NTL. Overall I've had NTL internet since 2000.

I have a mate that is on PlusNet and he says its great. I have also heard good things about Nildram (i.e no fixed term contract).

Another of my mates has just got 8Mb braodband for £39.99 a month!!! Can't remember the company - but I can find out.

Hope that helps a bit,

Anees

Is there anyway I can test to see if i can receive 2mb or faster?

As you have a BT line, if you go to their Availability Checker and punch in your phone number, you should be able to see what speeds your line will give you. I think the average is 2mb, but depending on where you live, that may well be slower or faster than that.

Do i have to tell them that i have a wireless home network setup? Or will it all work anyway?

You don't have to tell us anything we impose no restrictions on what you run on your LAN and you are free to use what ever kit you want. :ph34r: :winky:

Just changing over to Plusnet and they want my MAC key. Whats a MAC key?

"A MAC Key is a unique code generated by your service provider. It always begins with the letters BBIP or FTIP followed by six or eight digits then a slash and five more alphanumeric characters, for example "BBIP87654321/AB12C". By generating this code for you your service provider is agreeing to your move to PlusNet."

You'll need to contact Wanadoo and request your key and then provide the information to the company you wish to sign up with.

Your MAC key is a unique referance from Wanadoo to allow us to transfer the service across FOC and with no down time.

I had a feeling earlier, but it's just clicked.... you work for PlusNet :)

Keep up the good work :mat:

Utility Warehouse 1Mg £19.99 per month no download limit. Excellent service i've been using them for about 3 months without problems, as opposed to AOL who i used for 1year and had problems EVERY month and the last 2 months of my time with them I had no servie at all and they couldnt sort it out, plus you cant even understand what the help desks are saying anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links