Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all :D , ive just got in from cleaning and polishing LOL, but I found a problem.

The garage where I bought my lexus from , did every thing I asked for :) , even new brake pads all round which was a nice surprise. My brother had a look at it and said it was a cracking car. But :crybaby: , ive just checked the coolant and its blue, I dont think it was done on purpose as the guy has gone out of his way to make sure I'm happy.

:question: The question I need to ask , as I'm worrying , is will it be ok for a week. Or has the damage been done already, im biting my nails here. I know a bit of basics on cars but not an awful lot, as Im new to this red coolant, im not sure what to do or if it will wait

I can finish work early week after next (1.30) so there is plenty of time for them to change it while I wait

:D :D ! I was really worried, as ive been told its supposed to be red, I thought, Oh no! ive had my shiny new toy five mins and ive broken it already, I was really worried. I dont mind making my self look silly :P . I thought it was best to ask. just to be safe

It depends what it is made from. Some coolants aren't compatible, most are fine but just don't do as good a job as the Toyota red coolant to stop corrosion.

At least you have changed yours. There are quite a few series I GS300s out there that have had the coolant changed infrequently and have rusted radiators as a result.

:D thanks for that, i will get it sorted though. I still cant believe I have got this car, its still taking time to sink in. Also found out it has a footwell light , I mean how cool is that!

The only other worry I have is the car only came with one key, so I must get another cut.

In the meantime I'm tempted to wear it round my neck :D , oh yes and a Lexus key fob :lol:

Colin, on the radiator coolant topic, are lexus supposed to change the coolant as part of a dealer service? I think I have toyota red coolant, but should it be changed every so often, or doesn't it matter?

Ian, the key's will not be cheap, they have an immobiliser chip inside them, and you need the master key to get a new on cut as well as the key number, which is usually supplied on a metal keyring. Are you sure you have a balck master key, there should be two black master keys and a grey valet key, plus 2 keyfobs for the alarm and central locking. The valet key only unlocks the doors, and turns the ignition barrel to start the car, you can't open the bootlid with it, or unlock the boot release lever with it

coolant comes in many different colours red/blue/clear/yellow

just as long as its not a combination of any of the colours it will be fine

different colours = different manufacturers

best if your still not sure is to drop the coolant mix do an engine flush and refill with a 25% mix then top up to 35% in winter :winky:

speaking of keys i just got one key aswell, mine is a plain black one with a gold L on it, opens everything is it a master key?. i got told ur looking at 100 ish quid for an alarm fob for a mk1 40 for fob and 40 for them to have it all day to programm it as for a new key ive no idea

steve

96 mk1 sprt

coolant comes in many different colours  red/blue/clear/yellow

just as long as its not a combination of any of the colours it will be fine

different colours = different manufacturers

best if your still not sure is to drop the coolant mix do an engine flush and refill with a 25% mix then top up to 35% in winter :winky:

Not entirely true im afraid.......Most of the antifreeze products on the market currently are ethylene glycol base material with additives to prevent corrosion, lubricate seals and water pumps and aid in heat transfer to the coolant from the metal of the engine.

Most antifreeze products sold for the past several years have been the traditional "green" coolant. This type is good for two to three years and up to 30,000 miles. The green antifreeze contains silicates, phosphates and / or borates as corrosion inhibitors to keep the solution alkaline. As long as the solution remains alkaline, corrosion is controlled and the system is protected. Over time, the corrosion inhibitors will be depleted and the corrosion protection is lost. It is for this reason that green antifreeze should be changed every two years or so. Aluminum is especially vulnerable to corrosion and Our Lexus cars have heads, radiators and other aluminum components in the cooling system. If the coolant in the engine cooling system is changed before corrosion inhibitors reach dangerously low levels, corrosion damage is prevented.

An alternative to tradition green antifreeze is a product currently used by many engine manufacturersof the top of my Head i think of FORD "Orange" antifreeze is a long life or extended life type of antifreeze used to increase the useful life of engine coolant. It is ethylene glycol base as is the green antifreeze. The difference between the two colors is that orange antifreeze contains a different type of corrosion inhibitor that has a much longer service life than silicates, phosphates and borates. Orange antifreeze contains organic acids that protect engine parts from corrosion. Silicate (green) type antifreeze does not mix with orange type antifreeze. Never mix the two colors in a cooling system. The organic acids in orange types will cause precipitation of silicates in the green type as Rod pointed out before and corrosion protection is greatly reduced. Orange type antifreezes are good for five years or 100,000/150,000 miles in newer vehicles .Orange can be used in Older cars if the green is fully flushed from the system

Toyota uses a red antifreeze in many of its products and should not be confused with the orange type long life antifreezes. It is essentially the green type of antifreeze that contains red dye to give it the red color.

Colin, on the radiator coolant topic, are lexus supposed to change the coolant as part of a dealer service? I think I have toyota red coolant, but should it be changed every so often, or doesn't it matter?

The coolant should be changed every two years. Wasn't part of the service on older models but an additional option which many people didn't do.

speaking of keys i just got one key aswell, mine is a plain black one with a gold L on it,  opens everything is it a master key?. i got told ur looking at 100 ish quid for an alarm fob for a mk1 40 for fob and 40 for them to have it all day to programm it  as for a new key ive no idea

steve

96 mk1 sprt

Yes Ryo the black key will the gold lexus L that opens all the doors/boot etc is a master key, a grey key with the gold lexus writing on it is a valet key and doesn't open the boot or the boot release keylock, just allows you to unlock the door and start the car, oh i didn't mention before the valet key doesn't open the glovebox lock either.

:D thanks for that, i will get it sorted though. I still cant believe I have got this car, its still taking time to sink in.  Also found out it has a footwell light , I mean how cool is that!

Have you flipped up the cover on the sun-visor mirror yet?

While you're there, have you noticed the little mini sun-visor to cover the bit behind the mirror?

Have you opened the back doors and noticed that only the courtesy light on that side comes on?

Let's face it, a Lexus ain't just an executive car, it's an executive toy!

The only other worry I have is the car only came with one key, so I must get another cut. 

In the meantime I'm tempted to wear it round my neck  :D , oh yes and a Lexus key fob :lol:

Why not get a "flat" key cut? I take it you only really want a spare in case you lock the other one inside?

I did know about the lights, but not the mini sun visor :D , i'll have a look later. thanks for the info on the key Ill just get one cut when I go shopping. You are right Im worried about locking my key in the car .

Its got a few scratches in the paint work, but Ive been rubbing them out . What a difference!! Ive worked on the right front wing ,and drivers door, it looks great :D

i still cant get over the steering wheel, when u stick or remove the key :)

dead flashy :)

and the heated seats . cant beat finishing work at morning , rest of the lads scraping ice off windows , me stood there all heated, with a warm ***** :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links