Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stone Chips

stu_moo15@hotmail.com

Have notice that my IS 200 Sport has been chip whilst on the motorway :angry: . Anyone know where i can get the stone chip paint from (its a Graphite Sky - Met Dk Grey). I live in Portsmouth Hants - and i have only seen i other graphite grey IS 200 around!

stu_moo15@hotmail.com

Have notice that my IS 200 Sport has been chip whilst on the motorway :angry: .  Anyone know where i can get the stone chip paint from (its a Graphite Sky - Met Dk Grey). I live in Portsmouth Hants - and i have only seen i other graphite grey IS 200 around!

Hi Stu. I have the same colour IS as you and brought myself a touch up kit from my local dealer. Comes with 'Toyota' all over it, but I wasn't surprised by that.

stu_moo15@hotmail.com

Have notice that my IS 200 Sport has been chip whilst on the motorway :angry: .  Anyone know where i can get the stone chip paint from (its a Graphite Sky - Met Dk Grey). I live in Portsmouth Hants - and i have only seen i other graphite grey IS 200 around!

Hi Stu. I have the same colour IS as you and brought myself a touch up kit from my local dealer. Comes with 'Toyota' all over it, but I wasn't surprised by that.

How much did it cost you could i ask?

The metalic kit is about 8.99 comes as two spray cans and a couple of little brushes in each lid with instructions. You need the paint code of you car when you order it.

There's a thread about paint codes on here some where (search might throw it up for ya)

HTH

stu_moo15@hotmail.com

After catching the roof of mine several times with a lance from a car wash, the local chipsaway did a great job. Ther also managed to do the sports bumper when a kerb jumped out at me. You wouldn't know the difference!

stu_moo15@hotmail.com

After catching the roof of mine several times with a lance from a car wash, the local chipsaway did a great job. Ther also managed to do the sports bumper when a kerb jumped out at me. You wouldn't know the difference!

How much do these "chips" people charge ? I have a couple on the driver's door, a couple on the rear door, and I noticed a few very small ones on the bonnet (which I'm not too worried about) !! The ones on the doors are at that angle where you notice them when you walk up to the car so I'd like to get them sorted.

My mate gave me some advice t'other day. (i've already got some spare paint left over from new bonnet so I am using that)

with fine brush, build up layers of paint in the chip till its slightly proud. then using grade 800 - 1000 wet and dry in a bit of water with some soap suds, sand it flat and then t-cut. not tried it yet but s'posed to work well

My mate gave me some advice t'other day. (i've already got some spare paint left over from new bonnet so I am using that)

with fine brush, build up layers of paint in the chip till its slightly proud. then using grade 800 - 1000 wet and dry in a bit of water with some soap suds, sand it flat and then t-cut. not tried it yet but s'posed to work well

I think Matt did a thread on how to repair stone chips over in gold, It's so long ago since I read it, might be worth a search

I was given this advice by a professional car bodywork refurbishing place. But I'm a bit reluctant in using wet and dry - I suppose it's because I don't have the confidence in using it, I'm a bit afraid of it scratching the paint and making things worse.

Another ploy I used a while ago (on another car) :

Build up the paint as per the above.

Put an old hanky round a lolly stick (single layer) and soak the end of the hanky in Brasso.

The Brasso will smooth away the surplus paint and the lolly stick is to stop you rubbing down the surrounding area.

I've heard chips-away do not use 2-pack paint, and therefore over time WILL fade.

Something to do with, not being able to 'bake' the paint afterwards.

I personally would be reluctant to allow anyone to spray my car 'out in the open' - for obvious reasons.

I've heard chips-away do not use 2-pack paint, and therefore over time WILL fade.

Something to do with, not being able to 'bake' the paint afterwards.

I personally would be reluctant to allow anyone to spray my car 'out in the open' - for obvious reasons.

This is another reason why I wouldn't really want to put my car into a place where they spray the whole panel on the doors, and not "touch" in the spots instead. I wouldn't want the car to come back with the doors being a slightly different shade to the rest of the car.

I think for paint chips I'd prefer to have a go myself first. I used to have a black car and that was REALLY easy to touch-in, but for some reason this Platinum Ice colour is too "different" in different lights if you know what I mean.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links