Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Win Xp Pro Problem

R1nG@

OK Guys, there must be a way out of this - only I don't know it!!

A new rep just started at my company and brought his own laptop with him. Its got XP Pro running and was networked to his old companys network.

So I goes into Network settings, changed the Domain Name to our office Domain name so he can print to the office printer over the network, then it needs a restart. When it gets to the Login screen, the user name is already there, but his password won't work!! I assume its cos I changed the Domain name??

How can I get it logged back in???

Cheers

Matt

is this new guy a user on your domain?

No, thats what I was trying to do - put him on our Domain.

His laptop was still setup for his old firms Domain.

But I didn't know XP Pro would lock me out just for changing the Domain name!! :angry:

Oh it gets better - he never even brought the XP Pro discs away from his old company, so I can't even re-install!! :crybaby:

But I didn't know XP Pro would lock me out just for changing the Domain name!! :angry:

Oh it gets better - he never even brought the XP Pro discs away from his old company, so I can't even re-install!! :crybaby:

you need to speak to your network admin, and get this new guy added as a proper user, and given the appropriate permissions ;)

you need to speak to your network admin, and get this new guy added as a proper user, and given the appropriate permissions ;)

We don't have a network admin - they just expect me to know what to do even thought I have no network training of any kind!!

Is there anything else I can try?? Is there any sort of Domain reset in the Bios??

If you added the laptop to your domain, you could just log onto the laptop using your admin account? You also need to create a user account on your PDC Server so he can log into your domain using his laptop

Did there need to be an Admin account already setup??

If not, can I log in as Admin so I can set him up as a new user and start again in theory??

Sorry, I only have basic PC networking knowledge - give me a Mac any day and I'm a happy chappy!!

If not, can I log in as Admin so I can set him up as a new user and start again in theory??

if the computer is on the domain correctly, you should be able to log in as any domain user (including Administrator) on the laptop.

it may take a while to login the first time, depends on the size of the profile etc

to log onto the laptop on your new domain, using an old account.

you will need to disconnect the machine from the network point, so it does not have access to authentication off the domain controllers.

you should then be able to log in under the original account "firstname.surname" or whatever the username was... without the @domain.com bit.

if this is still not accessible, you will have to log in as the "local domain" administrator, save off the profile, files, and settings. Then reassign the old profile to your new users account, on the new domain.

Profile can be found on

C:\Documents & Settings\USERNAME

(sorry if this is very hazy, but i'm on the phone, and doing tech support for my own staff at the moment)

you will need to disconnect the machine from the network point, so it does not have access to authentication off the domain controllers.

you should then be able to log in under the original account "firstname.surname" or whatever the username was... without the @domain.com bit.

if this is still not accessible, you will have to log in as the "local domain" administrator, save off the profile, files, and settings. Then reassign the old profile to your new users account, on the new domain.

Profile can be found on

(sorry if this is very hazy, but i'm on the phone, and doing tech support for my own staff at the moment)

OK you convinced me!! Now can you put in Laymens terms!! :lol:

I am only a Mac operator after all!!!

Cheers

Matt

When you added the laptop to the doamin did it ask you to enter a domain account to add it to the domain.

Can you logon to it useing the local admin account?

Are the IP and Subnet addresses set to the same range as your domain?

Can you ping the laptop from another PC?

And just as a side line, you did Virus check it before you conected it to the domain? Reps have all kings of crap on their laptops!

When you added the laptop to the doamin did it ask you to enter a domain account to add it to the domain.

No.

Can you logon to it useing the local admin account?

I'm not sure? How do I do that!! :ph34r:

Are the IP and Subnet addresses set to the same range as your domain?

Yes I think so.

Can you ping the laptop from another PC?

No. It won't log in.

And just as a side line, you did Virus check it before you conected it to the domain? Reps have all kings of crap on their laptops!

Errrr in a word..... no!! :mat:

yeah he keeps telling me how his kids put all kinds of :tsktsk: on it!!

If you can't ping it, its not on the network! format the laptop and start again mate!

Exactly what I was thinkin'!!

But he said his boy has school work on it!! :unsure:

Oh well, he'll back up in future won't he!! :whistling:

Profile can be found on

OK. I've logged on as Admin, found his Profile, what do I do now??

Can his account password/domain be reset or reassigned to the new domain??

Cheers Guys.

Matt

Hey mate,

Firstly you'll need to unhide all hidden objects. (Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Show hidden files and folders)

Then take a copy of that folder and paste it into the same directory (Documents & Settings). Rename the folder to "temp_profile".

Right click on My Computer, and select Properties. Inside of the System Properties sheet, select the "Computer Name" tab. Click the Change... button. Select the domain radio button, and type in your existing domain to which it will be joining. (You will be asked for a Domain Administrators username and password at this stage) Enter these details and continue.

Do a system reboot.

Ensure that the user of the laptop has got an active account on your domain.

Login as the user, using the username and password assigned to it, by the domain administrator on your domain.

This will install a new profile for you under this users name.

Once everything has loaded, log out again, and log in as the Local Admin.

Go to "C:\Documents & Settings\"

Here you will see a new profile with the new users name. Rename this to "joebloggs_2" or whatever you wish.

Rename the existing folder "temp_profile" to match the original name of the folder changed in the previous step.

Log back in as the correct user on your domain, and you will find all the settings restored, and now available on the existing domain. :)

if I were you - I would write his documents to a CD and virus check it on a one of your own trusted machines.

Then, I would completely wipe and re-install the OS before adding it to my domain.

If his documents check out OK - then give him them back.

If there is a virus, give him the CD and explain how much trouble he will be in if he adds them to your nice new machine :winky:

No way would a machine I was not in complete control of be added to my network on a permanent basis.

How much time do you want to spend supporting a machine that has problems you are not responsible for?

Just a thought but is the laptop firewalled?

Only Windows built in jobby??

Thats probly crap, ain't it??

I was going nuts trying to get a new PC on my home network, turned out to be Windows Firewall blocking access.

Look in Control Panel/Network Connections right click the connection and select properties, under the Advanced Tab there is a check box for Internet Connection Firewall.

Hope that helps

Right OK Guys.

Decided to do a System Restore back a couple a weeks and its now booted up as it did when the guy first started ie. looking for his old companys network.

What the best way to get him on our network??

Do I set him up as a brand new user??

Cheers in Advance, I know you'll come up with the goods guys!! :winky:

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links