Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Repairable?

Was coming back from Oldham, after a visit to Drury Lane for a geometery check (topic for another thread! :D ), cruising on the M56 - about 75 - 80.

There were no road works or such, and I had a good safe distance between me and the car in front.

Was an almighty crack - scared me ****less ( :blush: ).

Looked around in the mirrors, checked for warning lights - then noticed the huge cracks in my windscreen.

I had gone under a bridge - checked my rear view mirror, butby the time I could see the bridge, it was a bit too far away to tell if there was anyone on there.

some pics.

closeup

43600010_G_004.sized.jpg

from inside

43600012_G_003.sized.jpg

from a distance

43600014_G_003.sized.jpg

what a beauty eh? :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Went to Lexus Chester - who said they would be happy to arrange for the RAC to see to it for me - but I was quite capable of doing that myself.

Spoke to the windscreen repair guy today - they will be out tomorrow.

I have asked them to order a new one - no way thats gonna be repairable is there?

Was a real scare at the time - the noise was immense, I actualy thought I had been shot at for a few seconds.

Yeah, it's scary when this happens. I caught 2 stones within the space of 4 months, only made +/-1cm cracks but the noise was like a gun going off!  :tomato:

been hit before mate - got a nice deep one a few years ago in roadworks on the M11.

never made anything like the noise this did!

Was coming back from Oldham, after a visit to Drury Lane for a geometery check (topic for another thread! :D ), cruising on the M56 - about 75 - 80.

There were no road works or such, and I had a good safe distance between me and the car in front.

Was an almighty crack - scared me ****less ( :blush: ).

Looked around in the mirrors, checked for warning lights -  then noticed the huge cracks in my windscreen.

I had gone under a bridge - checked my rear view mirror, butby the time I could see the bridge, it was a bit too far away to tell if there was anyone on there.

some pics.

closeup

43600010_G_004.sized.jpg

from inside

43600012_G_003.sized.jpg

from a distance

43600014_G_003.sized.jpg

what a beauty eh?  :tsktsk:  :tsktsk:

Went to Lexus Chester - who said they would be happy to arrange for the RAC to see to it for me - but I was quite capable of doing that myself.

Spoke to the windscreen repair guy today - they will be out tomorrow.

I have asked them to order a new one - no way thats gonna be repairable is there?

Was a real scare at the time - the noise was immense, I actualy thought I had been shot at for a few seconds.

would think its a new windsreen for appearences sake i don't think it would be a problem for the MOT though because its not in the line of sight so its really a personal choice the way i see it is thats what glass cover on your insurance is for

sorry to hear of your misfortune Mr McNally just hope when its changed they get it out in one piece because glass stays in the car for ages i still keep finding it from when my side window was put thru :angry:

would think its a new windsreen for appearences sake i don't think it would be a problem for the MOT though because its not in the line of sight so its really a personal choice the way i see it is thats what glass cover on your insurance is for

sorry to hear of your misfortune Mr McNally just hope when its changed they get it out in one piece because glass stays in the car for ages i still keep finding it from when my side window was put thru :angry:

pretty certain I am gonna get them to change it anyway - if I recall correctly, it should only cost £50, and not affect my NCB (which is protected anyway).

they better had get it out all in one piece - I drive in my bare feet, no way can I have glass in the car.

pretty certain I am gonna get them to change it anyway - if I recall correctly, it should only cost £50, and not affect my NCB (which is protected anyway).

they better had get it out all in one piece - I drive in my bare feet, no way can I have glass in the car.

yep you are right it doesn't affet your NCB and its usually a 50 - 60 quid excess on it most use autoglass though and i had to wait a few days for them to get my glass in stock

From the outside pic the dent looks round like a ball bearing or something.

Def not repairable. Could have hit some bodywork instead so prob lucky on the excess point of view.

By the way is that a Snooper in the car :question: How do you rate it

looks like a new screen needed :crying:

should come out without problems as it is laminated,

its surprising how strong the screens are, its usually a sharp point that will do the damage

was once travelling along the motorway and had a pebble come flying at me, huge amount of noise but it just bounced off and didnt do any damage, blooming scarey when you see the thing coming at you though :crying:

its a Road Angel 2.

I like it fine - works well. not many false positives at all.

useless as a chocolate teapot if you drive a lot in London though, between cameras, schools and congestion charging zones its just a constant noise.

usually if it's a stone you get a bit of stonedust in the chip, so could be metallic, or perhaps one of 'clarksons' ganstas mistaking you for a rival threw a golfball....BTW it must have scared the car too, it looks like it has been awake all night worrying, tell it to get some sleep. :P

43600014_G_003.sized.jpg

its a Road Angel 2.

I like it fine - works well. not many false positives at all.

useless as a chocolate teapot if you drive a lot in London though, between cameras, schools and congestion charging zones its just a constant noise.

Only asked coz I got a Snooper, drive a lot in London and yes it never switches off :crybaby:

got a brand new windscreen fitted yesterday.

genuine Lexus part, and a matching trim kit.

left it at RAC Auto Windscreens on the way to work - picked it up afterwards - all done.

seems OK too - no noise or anything like that.

cost me £50 - rest was off insurance.

got a brand new windscreen fitted yesterday.

genuine Lexus part, and a matching trim kit.

left it at RAC Auto Windscreens on the way to work - picked it up afterwards - all done.

seems OK too - no noise or anything like that.

cost me £50 - rest was off insurance.

That'll teach you to for going to Oldham! :P

Glad its sorted. :D :D You did say you had you geometry checked .....new topic comming up???

That'll teach you to for going to Oldham!  :P

Glad its sorted.  :D  :D You did say you had you geometry checked .....new topic comming up???

damn right! I've learned my lesson!

:lol::lol:

yeah - got geometery done - all OK, no adjustments necessary.

I do mean to start a topic on it though - just to post the settings in case any other GS430 owners ever need an idea of settings.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links