Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Resetting Ecu

Before you shoot me for not searching............. I DID SEARCH :angry:

Found lots of discussion about benefits of resetting, how resetting can be done by disconnecting Battery but not by fuses? :blush:

If you know which fuses just tell me........... it would take less time than giving out for not searching :D :D :D :P :P

but its safer and easier to remove the negative lead on the battery

Easier to pull 2 fuses than get the spanners out IMO, how is it safer though :question:

Additionally all the tools you require for fuse removal are in the fuse box (i.e. that little plastic fuse gripper tool), whereas for the Battery terminal you need to get the spanner from the boot.

That and removing the Battery terminal looses my stereo settings :( And as long as I haven't been drinking too much coffee aligning the fuses correctly is no problem. :)

Anywho, the link seems to be behaving weird at the moment, so as a backup:

ECU%20reset.gif

Or another link here.

Additionally all the tools you require for fuse removal are in the fuse box (i.e. that little plastic fuse gripper tool), whereas for the battery terminal you need to get the spanner from the boot.

That and removing the battery terminal looses my stereo settings :(  And as long as I haven't been drinking too much coffee aligning the fuses correctly is no problem.  :)

ECU%20reset.gif

Or another link here.

Went for the Battery option in the end (couldn't get link above to work)

Additionally all the tools you require for fuse removal are in the fuse box (i.e. that little plastic fuse gripper tool), whereas for the battery terminal you need to get the spanner from the boot.

That and removing the battery terminal looses my stereo settings :(  And as long as I haven't been drinking too much coffee aligning the fuses correctly is no problem.  :)

ECU%20reset.gif

Or another link here.

Went for the Battery option in the end (couldn't get link above to work)

They are in the pic 20A EFI and 15A ETCS :excl:

I realise that............. was talkin about the original link (second post)

Done now anyhoo.........

Was a bit puzzled :duh: anyway you know which fuses now so spanners not required next time :D I do mine about every 3-4 weeks and give it good thrash :driving:

Neil,

Why do you do this every 3-4 weeks - is that good for the engine?

TBH, I did this once last year and didn't notice any difference.

All it does is re-sets the ECU to the settings it had when it left the factory so it won't do the engine any harm. I tend to do it after I have been doing a lot of slow/town driving and like I say give it a good thrash. Been told it then learns fast open road driving settings until it un-learns them by pottering about.

Reckon it makes a difference :D

Know a bloke with an EVO VI who has it re-mapped every 2 weeks.

Neil,

Why do you do this every 3-4 weeks - is that good for the engine?

TBH, I did this once last year and didn't notice any difference.

All it does is re-sets the ECU to the settings it had when it left the factory so it won't do the engine any harm. I tend to do it after I have been doing a lot of slow/town driving and like I say give it a good thrash. Been told it then learns fast open road driving settings until it un-learns them by pottering about.

Reckon it makes a difference :D

Know a bloke with an EVO VI who has it re-mapped every 2 weeks.

From what I understand, it's recommended each time you make a change to the engine - changing from 95 to 98 RON fuel, air filter, exhaust, plugs etc etc

It won't harm the engine, in fact it will run better because the ECU has "learned" about the changes that have occurred and is optimizing engine performance as a result.

A do mine once a month or so

Additionally all the tools you require for fuse removal are in the fuse box

Or underneath the engine if you drop it in the dark like I did. Used stick with blue-tack on and a torch to retrieve it.... sigh.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links