Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Reving

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if somebody could please help me???

I have just purchased a Lexus IS200 SE (2000) with 28K on the clock. It seems to be a stunning car. But after driving it for the last three days I have noticed that when I release my foot fully off the throttle it continues to rev for a couple of seconds after and then gently dies down. Is this normal?

It cant be anything to do with the mats as I haven’t got any for it yet....

If anyone has any information about this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phillip,

Conratulations on you new Lexus and welcome to LOC. :D

Not quite sure about the constant reving, but my GS300 does rev slightly higher when cold, but as soon as temp gets on the scale (approx 2 mins) it is OK.

Sorry not much help I know, but I'm sure one of the more knowlegable members will be along shortly to help.

It's because of the electronic throttle mate ................

Hence why the throttle needle does not go back down as quick as most non electronic throttle cars would !

This is perfectly fine ............... :D

Oh, and welcome to LOC ;)

i am comparing it to my old 1.2 fiat punto  :lol:

OMG!!! :hehe: Punto to IS200 at that rate next upgrade would need to be a Bentley at least.......... or if you want to go all out a GS300 even :P

Just kidding Phillip, but glad to hear your problem was Normal IS behaviour. Now you can just enjoy it and believe me you will :D

Hence why the throttle needle does not go back down as quick as most non electronic throttle cars would !

This is perfectly fine ...............  :D

Oh, and welcome to LOC  ;)

But then, why my throttle vibrates sometimes when i floor it? I mean, can it be something wrong with electronics? if sometimes floored throttle gives very poor acceleration? I noticed that sometimes pedal is harder and sometimes it is very light to push.

Thanks

This is perfectly fine ...............  :D

Oh, and welcome to LOC  ;)

Why does it having an electronic throttle make it fine for the engine to continue to rev for a second or two after releasing the throttle?

My IS200 never done that nor have any of the other IS200s I have driven. When you come off the throttle the revs should start to die instantly, although it may take longer for the engine to reach idle than on other cars.

The only time you can tell the use of the electronic throttle is if you blip the pedal when idling and the engine revs up after you have come off the throttle!

Are you sure the revs stay up for 2 seconds???

apsaauga, the vibration is not normal.

Why does it having an electronic throttle make it fine for the engine to continue to rev for a second or two after releasing the throttle?

Erm, I was driving a 2004 Vectra on my driving course, and this did exactly that mate ............. you would take your foot off the acc. and it would take a second or so before the revs even starting to go down .............

The instructors said it was because of the electronic throttle ! ?

OMG!!! :hehe: Punto to IS200 at that rate next upgrade would need to be a Bentley at least.......... or if you want to go all out a GS300 even :P

Just kidding Phillip, but glad to hear your problem was Normal IS behaviour. Now you can just enjoy it and believe me you will :D

I am even worse.... from Suzuki swift 993 cc to Altezza :duh:

Welcome to LOC club phillip_rodgers :driving::driving:

Thanks for all your replies

Ive gave the car a bit of stick today and its brilliant especially after the 4000 revs. Anyway back to the orginal post ive noticed it only revs over when the engines cold and standing but while im driving and the engine is warm it seems fine. I think its down to im not used to the sensity of the throttle.

I must admit it seems a great upgrade I definity think I made the right choice, but ask me again in a years time when theres a hole in my pocket from the petrol costs but if it carries on to impress me, a few quid here and there will be worth it!!!!!!

Thanks again

Phil

Thanks for all your replies

Ive gave the car a bit of stick today and its brilliant especially after the 4000 revs. Anyway back to the orginal post ive noticed it only revs over when the engines cold and standing but while im driving and the engine is warm it seems fine. I think its down to im not used to the sensity of the throttle.

I must admit it seems a great upgrade I definity think I made the right choice, but ask me again in a years time when theres a hole in my pocket from the petrol costs but if it carries on to impress me, a few quid here and there will be worth it!!!!!!

Thanks again

Phil

dont worry ...some of these guys have had the IS for quite a while ... and u can see from their posts, petrol cost is probably the least important thing in their minds... they'r too busy thinkin about wat mods to put on! (and how much ther insurance premium is goin to go up ... :P )

• 2 months later...

Yeah I noticed teh same thing with my IS ( only owned for a couple of months) i actually back off the throttle a second before change gear which makes for a smoother change and the extra revs. It only happens when im caining it, wife and kids in the car not a problem :D

Hi Phillip. I have the same model Lexus and am having a similar problem to you, with the car revving. Thought it was a clutch problem, but had this checked and it's not. Have noticed that this revving does not occur when the air conditioning is switched off. Have had the car for a year and it has only just started doing this. Have recently had the cam belt changed.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

Thanks. :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links