Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heated Windscreen? and Squeaky wipers

Div

Autumn - don't you just love it?

I thought I read somewhere that a '99 is200 Sport should have a heated front windscreen. If mine does I either don't know how to work it, or it's not very good.

Can anyone confirm if I should have one, and confirm how it's activated (is it on when the dial is pressed, or when it's rotated? on the demist setting?

I've also got some very (effective) but squeaky wipers - anyone have any sure solutions to silence them?

Damn wet weather.

Cheers Guys,

Div.

Originally posted by ricky_is200

I believe its only the bottom of the windscreen that's heated, by the wiper blades. You can see the elements if you look closely. I think its switched on with the rear screen.

All true :smilegrin:

Don't know about fixing the squeak, apart from changing them.

I believe its only the bottom of the windscreen that's heated, by the wiper blades. You can see the elements if you look closely. I think its switched on with the rear screen.

LOL - on my first read I read this as "the windscreen is heated by the wiper blades" now that would be clever (and expensive to replace).

I guess it's time to get some new wipers.

Div.

Cut to size? was it a Blue-Peter outlet? :lol:

Cool - I'll see what Halfords have - I need to pop in there anyway to get a replacement rear numberplate (mine fell off in the wet!).

I also need to pick up one of those tacky GB stickers and some head-lamp changing sticky things (or if there a switch somewhere for this?)

Div.

Didn't know that the screen heater came on with the rear-screen heater ..... i was told by my dealer that the elements on the windscreen are triggered by the outside temperature (ie, if it reads below 3 celcius on your guage - they come on)

Anyway, living up here and having the car through last winter, i can confirm that the elements work - very quickly :smilegrin:

Originally posted by tonb

Didn't know that the screen heater came on with the rear-screen heater ..... i was told by my dealer that the elements on the windscreen are triggered by the outside temperature (ie, if it reads below 3 celcius on your guage - they come on)

Anyway, living up here and having the car through last winter, i can confirm that the elements work - very quickly :smilegrin:

Yeah, my dealer told me a load of old cobblers too :lol:

As your getting a new numberplate anyway why not get the euro style with the 'GB' on then you won't have to worry about the GB sticker!

If you do decide on the sticker, I bought the magnetic type, much better than a sticker!

You can also get self-adhesive ones from Halfords for the rear windows - that's what I got last year for going to Germany. Light deflectors are not essential anymore, but I got some just to avoid being flashed. They're fairly easy to fit.

My heated wingmirrors seem to be on all the time, does this mean the heated front windscreen is on all the time too, and only the rear is done on the button? I think it's time to re-read that manual.

Anyway I visited Halfords and the inevitable spotty made me a rear 'GB' numberplate (so I guess I don't need the GB sticker). I also picked up some beam deflectors and some Bosch super plus spoiler wiper blades (they claim to be super-silent - hopefully that'll shut them up).

I guess I need to pick up a fire extinguisher, warning traingle and first aid kit too for traveling abroad - aren't they compulsory over in dem lands?

Div.

Have a look at:

http://www.rac.co.uk/travelservices/european_advisor/

or

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas..._equipment.html

for the countries your going to (or travelling through), many of those items aren't compulsory in all countries.

As for the mirror's, there is a thread on this, but on the later models they are not heated all the time like ours but controlled with the rear screen.

Which Bosch blades did you buy? Last time I looked in Halfords they claimed they didn't fit an IS200 but that was a while ago.

My car's a year and a half and has the heated wing mirrors that stay on all the time. When it was in for it's last service, I asked if it was usual and had them all scratching their heads - they had to go and check some of the other cars in before they could tell me :)

you dont require a GB sticker to travel within the borders of the EEC

for germany you require a first aid kit,with foil blanket and gloves(tuv/GS approved)

warning triangle and flashing emergency light,a fire extunguisher isnt needed but considered a good thing to have ,as is a tow rope and a set of jump leads......you must also carry a spare bulbs set!!!!

basically unload a AA van and pack it in your boot

Originally posted by Div

My heated wingmirrors seem to be on all the time, does this mean the heated front windscreen is on all the time too, and only the rear is done on the button? I think it's time to re-read that manual.

The mirrors are heated permanently and the front screen comes on with the rear screen (on pre-02 cars).

Originally posted by Div

Anyway I visited Halfords and the inevitable spotty made me a rear 'GB' numberplate (so I guess I don't need the GB sticker).

I have heard of some of our foreign friends being a bit @rsey about not having a GB sticker despite having it on the plate. All Europeans together :headbang:

Originally posted by Div

Also - Bosch vs PIAA silicone vs anyone else? thoughts?

I have heard very good things about the PIAA Silicon Wipers, the only problem is finding somewhere that stocks them. The only place I have found so far is Demon Tweeks:(

I am going to try them when mine wear out I think:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links