Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thought The Problem Was Sorted!

Anees

Hi Guys,

Since I wasn't able to get to JAE (explained in the JAE thread :( :crybaby: ) I decided to take the family to Blackpool.

Got everyone in the car and put stuff in the boot. The rear tyres became hidden INSIDE the arches. About 30% of the sidewall was inside the arches.

Now my car is supposed to have been lowered 30mm. The other guys with 30mm drops can you confirm if the same happens to your cars under full load?

I set off - everything was fine. Got to Blackpool and on the way to the promonade their are a few large(ish) dips in the road. Suddenly I hear gggrrrush!! I had this trouble before when my tyres where the wrong offset (this was fixed by Gord) - this time the sound was comming from below the car. I knew it must have been the Chasis braces I have fitted. Surely the car can't be so low that on dips the chasis braces srape? Then while finding a place to park it happened one more time. I checked my tyres and their don't seem to be any marks on them indicating that they have hit the bodywork.

On the way back home on the M61 their was a sign indicatiing bumpy road surface for 1 mile. The chasis brace also scraped once too. I was only driving sloooooow (it was wet, dark and had my parents in the car!) on the motorway and I began to get very tense. It was NOT an enjoyable drive home since I kept worrying in case it was gonna scrape again!

Now what is going on? :o I have taken a few pics of the car (unloaded) with my phone and it to me looks like it is lower then 30mm? It certainly looks lower then a pic I put up on LOC in NOV 04.

All I can think is that it has something to do with bump stops????? When the car was originally lowered the garge cut about 1.5cm off my bump stops because "it won't drop otherwise". Could this be the reason? :duh: Making the suspension go too low with load when it hits a dip?

HELP!!

Pics (clean :lol: )

prob3.jpg

prob2.jpg

prob4.jpg

prob1.jpg

Thanks,

Anees

if there are more people in the car, the car will sit lower (more weight)

as for the chassis braces scraping, no need to worry there young man, there made from the same steel that is used in Bridge construction, you think yours scrape, you should see the ones on the drift car.

an advantage is that its the braces scraping........and not the underneath of your car.

the only real solution to this would be to fit coilovers, and there was no reason whatso ever for the person who fitted your springs, to Cut the bump stop, no reason whatso ever!!

if there are more people in the car, the car will sit lower (more weight)

as for the chassis braces scraping, no need to worry there young man, there made from the same steel that is used in Bridge construction, you think yours scrape, you should see the ones on the drift car.

an advantage is that its the braces scraping........and not the underneath of your car.

the only real solution to this would be to fit coilovers, and there was no reason whatso ever for the person who fitted your springs, to Cut the bump stop, no reason whatso ever!!

Thanks Matt - makes me feel better/worse at the same time! :lol:

When I got the car lowered I had in fact printed out your excellent guide to lowering and showed it to them. They followed it and it didn't says anywhere the bump stops should be cut!! Is this something to be concerned about? Should I get them put back on? I could try to go back to the garage and try and get them to put some new ones on - Blame them? Trouble is that then I assume I'd have to get the geometry done again!! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: More wasted money!!

Its the summer hollidays = lots of family day trips! :hehe::hehe:

How would fitting Coilovers be a solution to this? I thought that they mean the car could be lowered more??? Do they not sit any lower with more weight then?

Also...why is my car lower now then in NOV 04? Is that just the springs settling?

Thanks alot,

Anees

PS Wish I could afford the Prolex Air suspension!! :D

Using Adjustable coilovers would allow you to get the peferct height you want and they are designed to to work at almost any height with maximum efficiency, where as lowered springs are only half the solution

I had to raise mine with 100kilos of ICE going in, but now the car is unsettled slightly so will be going for firmer springs.

If you are doing this quite regular there is no need at all to fit coilovers if you Don't plan to go lower. Simple solution is to contact Leda Suspension and have them build some custom rear spings with higher poundage which will help keep the car from sinking its a55 to the floor.

Thanks for the help so far! :D

I had a chance meet with Gord today (well yesterday looking at the time! :hehe: ) and he suggested that I could get something that alot of people that tow caravans put on their springs to stop the suspension from "bottoming out" due to the weight.

It is like a bump stop, but you put it sort of round the spring. He couldn't remember what they were called. It does the same job as a bump stop in that they limit suspension travel but the springs don't have to be taken off so wouldn't have to get a new geometry done.

Any ideas what he means?

Coilovers are tempting but I wouldn't want to lower the car more then it is now and I would ideally want a soft(ish) ride. I'll look into it since the price seems to have come down abit recently. I know the ride can be pretty hard with coilovers over poor roads which is what most of the roads round my end are like! :duh:

@ - Mr Singh Not being able to see your amazing car at JAE was a major dissapointment! :ph34r: Also with your car being so low has it ever "bottomed out" on bumps - or because you have coilovers you've never had the problem?? :D Thanks

The suspension hasn't bottomed out, yet! but the under side scrapes on uneven surfaces and sleeping policemen!

If your tyre was all under, i'd say the back end was slammed total of 80mm+! which is no suprise if your car managed to scrape its a55 on the floor!

To overcome the weight firmer springs is defo the solution. But with one drawback, comfort. it will be slightly stiffer...

Speak with Leda and see what they can offer - http://www.leda.com/

there is no need to go to just Leda, there are numerouse companies that can wind coils for you.

the idea by Gord is a good one, there known as spring assisters

Thanks Matt! :D he was racking his braining trying to think of their name! Will look into it!

Mr Singh - er...my car is only supposed to have been dropped 30mm on the Eibatch springs. :huh:

there is no need to go to just Leda, there are numerouse companies that can wind coils for you.

the idea by Gord is a good one, there known as spring assisters

Thanks Matt! :D he was racking his braining trying to think of their name! Will look into it!

Mr Singh - er...my car is only supposed to have been dropped 30mm on the Eibatch springs. :huh:

Try Demon Tweeks for them

SMALL UPDATE:

The spring adjusters arrived from Demon Tweaks yesterday and I got them fitted today from the garage that originally lowered it and cut my bump stops. I told him it was all his fault and said that he better fit these for free. If they don't fix the problem then I am comming back and he is going to replace my bump stops. Thank fully he didn't argue!! :D (impressed myself their - not really a confrontational person :blush:)

They were fitted and the car looked high - almost like a 4X4! Anyway have taken the car for a spin and the ride is definetly improved - its not as bouncy and no increase in the hardness of the ride either.

The car has dropped abit since driving it. I think it will be a bit higher then it was - but I can live with that until I can afford coilovers. ;)

THANKS AGAIN TO Monster-Mat and Gord! :)

Hi Anees!

I have the same setup as yourself only without the problems!

I am on TTE's

Toora T950's

And no bothers at all! Even with people in the car! Its like a dream!

I guess no two cars are the same but you'd think they would have same characteristics!

Strange!

Hi Anees!

I am on TTE's

Toora T950's

I guess no two cars are the same but you'd think they would have same characteristics!

Strange!

My car handles wonderfully. I was talking to some one and he said it could be because my springs have "gone soft" but I doubt that - they were brand new and only have about 6 - 7K miles on them.

Owen - do you have a side on picture of your car you could post? We can compare height that way. Mine has definetly gone lower then it was before.

Thanks,

Anees

Hi Anees!

I am on TTE's

Toora T950's

Strange!

My car handles wonderfully. I was talking to some one and he said it could be because my springs have "gone soft" but I doubt that - they were brand new and only have about 6 - 7K miles on them.

Owen - do you have a side on picture of your car you could post? We can compare height that way. Mine has definetly gone lower then it was before.

Thanks,

Anees

Here ya go Mate!

DSCF0204.jpg

DSCF0201.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links