Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Water Softener/conditioner

Mr Morse

Does anyone have any experience of either water conditioners or softeners that can be plumbed into the household water system to reduce the hardness?

I have read that softeners are expensive both in terms of buying and running costs.

The jury seems to be out on conditioners - they are a lot less expensive and have low running costs but the benefits seem to be debatable.

to be honest - i just use a Brita filter...

the missues parents have one of these seperate 'plumbed in' filtration systems, which work really well, i dont think the filter needs changing that often, but they are pricey...

There was one I saw advertised on QVC a while back.

It was some electronic gizmo that you wrapped the electric leads around the main input pipe (no plumbing required) and then plugged the box into the mains.

I am dubious about the claims it made that all water passing through the electric current field would be cleaned and that over time they reckoned that all current limescale in the tanks would be removed.

In fact I'm still dubious.

I think the price was £85 DIY

There was one I saw advertised on QVC a while back.

It was some electronic gizmo that you wrapped the electric leads around the main input pipe (no plumbing required) and then plugged the box into the mains.

I am dubious about the claims it made that all water passing through the electric current field would be cleaned and that over time they reckoned that all current limescale in the tanks would be removed.

In fact I'm still dubious.

I think the price was £85 DIY

i had one plumbed into the cold water supply when i had a house my brother in law used to sell them i will ask what company it was as he no longer sells them. However last time i was over there i saw a box of the filters kicking around i will ask to see if they are still ok and see if they will let me have one if they are

Whilst performing a web search to try and find the product - I found this from the Advertising Standards Authority

http://www.asa.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0359BCE..._27_July_05.pdf

3rd one down QVC

I wondered why I couldn't find any reference on QVC anymore  :crybaby:

i think the ones i mentioned are a silver nitrate filter or some such though not electronic or ionising etc

My dad and two of my brothers all live in or around Croydon, which has awful hard water.

They've all got plumbed in water softeners, and the difference in quality is amazing!

No scale in the kettle (or boiler or dishwasher), no scum in black tea, water tastes great and you hardly need any bubble bath! It's also great if you have exzcema or psoriasis - much kinder on the skin.

You'll get an non softened tap fitted at the same time, as you can't water the garden, feed babies or anyone with a heart condition with softened water though.

Don't buy your salt blocks from the installers though - you can get it much cheaper online. I'll find out the website if you are interested squire.

My mate also has one fitted, and it's great. Uses a salt to soften the water. He is in Epsom, the water goes from bad in Croydon to REALY REALY bad in Epsom as you move around the London clock so to speak :)

I live between the two and I dont think I would justify the cost of installation and salt tbh as I dont have that much of a limescale problem.

I'll find out the website if you are interested squire.

Yes would be interested to check out the website.

Doh - big bro is on holiday at the moment, but have sent him an email so will get back to you as soon as I find out

With the water softeners it is critical you have a normal none softened tap that is used for all drinking water since the softener will leach a small amout of salt into the water (very very small) that is very bad for you. The salt is used to activate the thingy that does tha softening just like a dish washer.

I've got a water softener. Cost about £500 but that's because it's a metered one that only recharges when it's required rather than others that just do it on a timed basis.

Doesn't cost much to run, it's efficient with it's water usage when recharging and I probably only spend about £14 a year on salt.

Probably save much more than it costs to run by using less soap, washing powder etc plus I don't have to use salt or rinse aid in the dishwasher.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links