Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote Key & Remote Boot Opening

muradx

I'm afraid on your car you will need a new engine ecu and 1 or 2 new master keys.

Basically you buy some new master keys but a dealer could not code them to your vehicle as there is no master key to code from, so the keys would turn in all the locks and ignition but not actually start the car. You don't really need a lock set change as keys can be cut to your original key number, although don't know which option will be cheaper. If the locks haven't been changed then a Lexus dealer can find out your key number for about £10 or it will be stamped on either the ignition barrel or drivers door lock.

If you want to pm me your Reg or Chassis number i can find out the part numbers for you and get you the proper retail prices so you know you are not getting ripped off.

• 1 month later...
Slightly  :offtopic:  but what is the point in the valet key not opening the boot when there is an easily accessible lever just inside the drivers door?

because with a master key you turn the boot lock and it disconnects the handle next to the driver.

explains all in the manual!

Dragging this kicking and screaming back onto topic (well, kinda).. I have a master key, but would like to buy a spare. What would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this? A trip to Mr T?

Chris

unless u can find a blank uncut key on eBay!

Dragging this kicking and screaming back onto topic (well, kinda).. I have a master key, but would like to buy a spare. What would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this? A trip to Mr T?

Chris

unless u can find a blank uncut key on eBay!

Is it legal for a key shop (What does one call a shop who cuts keys?) to cut the key? No dodgy law stopping this?

If it's legal (ish), I am more than happy to look like a fool, standing on one leg whilst holding the key in my right hand, whilst simultaniously opening and closing all of the car's doors at the same time. Or at least, I think that's what the instructions said..

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 months later...

On eBay i bought a used Lexus IS200 Remote key that has 3 buttons (lock, unlock, boot opening). The blade is cut already..... how can i change the blade to a copy of my key (i only have a valet key, no master key) and then eventually have this remote programmed to my car.

There must be a way. Will a standard locksmith be able to cut the key and then once this is done i could just have the remote programmed to my car using the guide i used to reprogramme my existing (valey) key when it mysteriasly forgot my car a week back.

Any help appreciated.

@muradx, sounds like you have got a dodgy key or the car being stolen from some vallet driver, have you thoroughly verify that :D I dare to say you're the only one with just only one key, the vallet key in this forum. Since the vallet key does not open every everything you have the right to pursue it from the person you've got it from, unless you've agreed to accept the deal for a major discount at the time of purchase.

To answer your question, it's unlikely that you can use the used to cut again since some required bits might be missing after recut. Sure the Locksmith can cut it if you supply them the lock from the boot/storage.

• 2 weeks later...
On eBay i bought a used Lexus IS200 Remote key that has 3 buttons (lock, unlock, boot opening). The blade is cut already..... how can i change the blade to a copy of my key (i only have a valet key, no master key) and then eventually have this remote programmed to my car.

There must be a way. Will a standard locksmith be able to cut the key and then once this is done i could just have the remote programmed to my car using the guide i used to reprogramme my existing (valey) key when it mysteriasly forgot my car a week back.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Muradx,

Did you manage to get your problem solved? I am in exactly the same position - I only have the grey valet key for my IS200. The master key has gone missing and I have been quoted £1500 from the dealer to replace everything!!!!

Hello.

DO NOT PAY the dealer anything. I did the following:

Bought a used Lexus remote key from eBay for £15 all in

Bought a new un cut lexus key fob from eBay for £10.75 all in

I took the remote control unit from the used key and put it in the blank key fob.

I then took this to the local locksmiths who cut the new key for me from my existing valet key. Thats cost £5.

All the doors and boot and glove box work from this newly cut key.

I am now going to programme the new key to my IS200 using the simple instructions available on here and and on myIS.

"Basically, every lexus key has two functions: start the engine(immobilizer) and remote control (lock unlock doors, activate/deactivate alarm)

To program the immobilizer bit of your new key:

First, have your new key cut. Then:

For 1998+ Toyota, Lexus

Add Duplicate Key

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.

2. Insert existing master key into ignition.

3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.

4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and

remove key.

5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.

6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.

7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.

8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

To make your Lexus remember your key's wireless signal:

For the remote part in drivers seat WITH DOOR OPEN.

Start with door unlocked.

1. Put master key in ignition, turn to on, then back off and remove.

2. Using the lock/unlock button on drivers door. press lock.. then unlock 5 times.(lock,unlock,lock,unlock,lock,unlock,lock,un lock,lock,unlock)

3. Close drivers door, open drivers door.

4. Perform lock/unlock procedure again. DO NOT close and open drivers door. Just the lock/unlock procedure again.

5. Insert NEW key in to ignition and turn to on, then back off and remove.(at this point the doors should lock and unlock by themselves ONCE)

6. Now press both lock and unlock buttons on REMOTE. Release after about 1.5 seconds.

7. Now press just the lock button on remote.

once you press the lock button, the car should lock and unlock ONCE, if it lock unlocked TWICE you messed up somewhere.

8. Now open and close the drivers door a couple times to close programming.

if you did it right, remote will now work."

Hope this helps save £1500!

A quick update people......

The new key I had cut today now remotely locks & unlocks the doors (but not the boot - but then i only have a valet key so how could it programme a new key to do the boot?).

The key does not start the car yet, it turns over but does not start. The existing valet car still starts it. So im assuming i have not done the immobilsor programming bit right. Im now not sure if i can programme the new key to the immobilisor because i have no master key. I'll keep you posted when i give it a proper crack tomorrow.

Just having read this entire thread (over a cup of cocoa last night and tea this morning) I have to ask a question that was asked earlier:

Are you guys with just the Valet key only sure that you have a car that has not been stolen/recovered? I can't believe that anyone who had a car from new would sell the car on without all or most of the keys...unless he (or she B) )really did lose them ALL and could not stomach £1500 for a full set of anchors!!

My one and only BMW came with the valet/wallet key (it was a cheap car), same situation, before immobs so it was easy...but it was also in the days before HPI checks, and 2 months down the road a policeman knocked on the door and told me my car was stolen and used in a robbery...before I had it obviously...

I think in my situation the previous owner was a plonker and did genuinly loose the master key. Before i bought it i had a full hpi check done (£40.00 - oouch!). Also since then (being a Special Constable) had a check done on it through "official means". Again negative so im happy my car is bona fide.

A good & very valid point though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links