Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Pc

am sure this has come up before. how do i build a car pc which will be in my boot with a motorised screen in dash that will allow me to store/play, mp3,movies, and sat nav. i dont want anything fancy or complicated. i want to be able to download mp3 and movies from my home pc.

i have no hardware knowledge of computers. does anyone build and sell. as there are a few on eBay and some websites but appear too expensive.

* what sort of budget should i be looking at.

* is it worth the money and hussle. would it be cheaper to get a new head unit with dvd player.

i found this

karputer

There are new motherboards out which take Pentium 4M (laptop) chips, knocking a BIG chunk off the power consumption (about 20 watts, compared to around 100 watts for a Pentium 4). The Athlon64 is very efficient, too, drawing around 30 watts.

Lower power consumption = quieter, cooler running and less drain on the car's electrical system.

• 2 weeks later...
am sure this has come up before. how do i build a car pc which will be in my boot with a motorised screen in dash that will allow me to store/play, mp3,movies, and sat nav. i dont want anything fancy or complicated. i want to be able to download mp3 and movies from my home pc.

i have no hardware knowledge of computers. does anyone build and sell. as there are a few on ebay and some websites but appear too expensive.

* what sort of budget should i be looking at.

* is it worth the money and hussle. would it be cheaper to get a new head unit with dvd player.

Found this to be valuable:

BMW puter

Linitx.com is another good website for cheap bits!

£600 should see you right

• 3 weeks later...
Newbie here from the US. Howdeeeee  :D

No, I'm not from Texus

**********Not a Goldie so don't advertise.**********

Anyway, just saying hi

oh thats coincedence,, new member, username customcarputers saying hi in a carputer thread......and not advertising......... :ph34r: :D anyway WELCOME new member from the US who is nto advertsiing...

I am thinking of using my old laptop, it has a video output built in, runs off 12v via the car charger. I am going to use mini usb touch pad mounted in the centre console. All I need is a way of connecting the AV output to my factory satnav screen.

The laptop has everything build in, compact and can be unplugged easily.

The laptop is also useful due to the built in Battery.

Would be interested to hear how others have connected to the factory satnav screen.

I am thinking of using my old laptop, it has a video output built in, runs off 12v via the car charger.  I am going to use mini usb touch pad mounted in the centre console.  All I need is a way of connecting the AV output to my factory satnav screen.

The laptop has everything build in, compact and can be unplugged easily. 

The laptop is also useful due to the built in battery.

Would be interested to hear how others have connected to the factory satnav screen.

Visit my carputer project by going to : http://www.metserve.com/projects

That runs off my IS300 SAT NAV screen.

Speak to ProLex / Geoffers about there convertor ............ Geoffers is the one who makes it ! FANTASTIC! piece of kit !! :D

Yes that could be an option. The Sat Nav unit outputs an RGB signal that other screens can use.

The main problem, and I guess why Lexus didn't put in a touch screen, is the location of the screen isn't ideal - you cannot really reach out and touch the screen from a driving position.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links