Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Consumption

During the recent threat of another fuel embargo I decided to fill up the tank on my RX mark 1.then during the following week with talk of petrol going through the roof again I decided to check exactly what I was getting to the gallon, so after 70 mls of town driving I went back to the petrol station and managed to squeeze 15.75 litres in the tank,which worked out at 20 mpg, since I was expecting about 16 mpg I was pleasantly surprised :D

I have a new RX, mark 2, and it displays an average mpg figure. The my normal work commute, a run of just a few miles which I would describe as semi urban is showing around 21 mpg. On longer runs I see this push up to about 27 mpg.

Usual factors may help get higher mpg figures: correct tyre pressures, windows shut, no roof box, steady driving, use of cruise control and air con turned off.

I have a new RX, mark 2, and it displays an average mpg figure. The my normal work commute, a run of just a few miles which I would describe as semi urban is showing around 21 mpg. On longer runs I see this push up to about 27 mpg.

Usual factors may help get higher mpg figures: correct tyre pressures, windows shut, no roof box, steady driving, use of cruise control and air con turned off.

When I drive at 50/60 mpg, I get 31/32 mpg.Average 40 mph gives 35mpg.

But on the local country roads last week I drove 22 miles round trip and got 40.2 mpg. The single 11 mile out trip gave 52.1 mpg. at average 35/40 mph The return was largly uphill and I drove at 25/35 mph most of the way.

Am I just lucky or is it the driving speeds?

But on the local country roads last week I drove 22 miles round trip and got 40.2 mpg. The single 11 mile out trip gave 52.1 mpg. at average 35/40 mph The return was largly uphill and I drove at 25/35 mph most of the way.

BTW, it is an RX 400h and has no roof rails.

Hi,

Is that how you have to drive to get the (Lexus) quoted fuel mileage?  Yawn :whistling:

You would almost be quicker on a bicycle (and you would get infinite mpg!).

Cheers,

Dieter

Yes, Agreed! I just wanted to see how much I can get out of her :)

Now that I know, it's back to normal... but even then at 50 - 60 mph I get over 30 mpg. Yes. I wll check manually, but a tank seems to last forever...

My computer tells me that on average I get between 23 and 24.5 to a gallon using the car to work and back (half motorway, quarter A roads and a quater in town). During the (non) fuel shortage I had to fill up with Optimax and I got 28.4 for the tank and completed 357 miles before the yellow light came on. This is 40-60 miles more than I normally do on a tank and makes the premium unleaded actually work out cheaper. Does anyone else have this experience?

:) I get the same as Fergy, while i'm on sort your team out Fergy!

Ehhh...lost me...team ??? (not hard to do according to my wife)..

:duh: That was a joke, well almost. Manchester Utd, Fergy being the manager, i can tell your not a footy fan Fergy

Ahhh.... :D I did say it was easy to loose me....

And Fergy (the football manager) is a crabbit git :tomato:

My computer tells me that on average I get between 23 and 24.5 to a gallon using the car to work and back (half motorway, quarter A roads and a quater in town). During the (non) fuel shortage I had to fill up with Optimax and I got 28.4 for the tank and completed 357 miles before the yellow light came on. This is 40-60 miles more than I normally do on a tank and makes the premium unleaded actually work out cheaper. Does anyone else have this experience?

Very interesting to see that your MPG has risen using Optimax. I also get 24mpg using the normal Supermarket plonk...............Only this week I have again been told (by a mechanic) to avoid Supermarket fuel due to its lack of additives etc.

Time to change over?........ the mechanic says Yes!.........the wallet says YES..... so I say YES!. Even enough left over for a PIMMS (thats wot us posh Lexus people drink isn't it?)

SJT

:ohmy: I had a brand new 2005 RX300SE, and it did not matter how I drove it, 20.5MPG was all I could get. 50 MPG is ludicrus, If I were you I would brim it then drive 300 miles and brim it again, then see what it shows, the computer tells lies big ones. :tomato:

:ohmy: I had a brand new 2005 RX300SE, and it did not matter how I drove it, 20.5MPG was all I could get. 50 MPG is ludicrus, If I were you I would brim it then drive 300 miles and brim it again, then see what it shows, the computer tells lies big ones. :tomato:

Yep. I brimmed it at Tesco's on Friday so I will fill it again when it gets low. I have 140 mile round trip to Bradford on Wed so I will fill it again when there at 70 miles to start with.

According to the computer I am still averaging 31 mpg in a mixture of FAST and nomal driving on country roads at approx 40 mph is showing 35 + mpg.

Not sure how some of you guys are getting such good mileage - I am just about averaging 17-18 mpg. At this stage I put it down to being a new engine - 800 miles so far. Optimax did nothing for me.

Tony

You need to give it at least a couple of tanks of just optimax to see any difference.

• 1 month later...

OK I am back! I brimmed it 3 times after some weeks of mainly very fast driving and not attempting to save petrol most of the time as I have had a hectic time lately dashing around, always late :) Average speeds 70 + on various roads! Very little Motorway work. It might even be alleged that I did over 99 but I wouldn't admit to that ! Esp when I passed a Police car coming the other way !!! BUT I saw him in good time!!

After that I grew up and got sense!!

The acceleration is FANTASTIC!!!

I got 27.9 mpg over 323.5 miles (Forgot to record computer figure)

I got 28.4 over 250 miles (comp reading 29.5)

I got 27.46 over 293 miles (comp reading 28.5)

So it seeems to be out by 1 MPG which isn't bad I guess!

Now when things calm down I will resume sedate driving at 40 mpg on the country roads.

I guess the 400h is better on fuel than your 300 Se :) :driving:

BR. Billy

I take it you've got an RX400h now, Billy? Time to change the "Lexus Model" under your name!

Will have to save up for a long time before I can get myself a 400h - skinted myself out spending £15k on the GS!

OK I am back! I brimmed it 3 times after some weeks of mainly very fast driving and not attempting to save petrol most of the time as I have had a hectic time lately dashing around, always late :) Average speeds 70 + on various roads! Very little Motorway work. It might even be alleged that I did over 99 but I wouldn't admit to that ! Esp when I passed a Police car coming the other way !!! BUT I saw him in good time!!

Now when things calm down I will resume sedate driving at 40 mpg on the country roads.

BR. Billy

Thats no where near the "lexus quoted figures" is it! :yawn:

BR. Billy

Thats no where near the "lexus quoted figures" is it! :yawn:

Not sure. What doed Lexus quote?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links