Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Firemans Strike

DaveEllen

just for your infomation risky3301,the army cannot all aford lexus....65% of all servng soldiers in the uk are on family benifits,the reason i could afford one was from saving money and the fact we are entiteled to tax free suppliments........so please dont assume,it will be the very same soldiers that are now covering this strike,many of whome are from germany and away from THIER familys may well be in the Gulf in a few months...........

and they wont be asking for a pay rise

Its said that the firemen will sabotage the appliances if its thought the army will use them...........

Prescott just said that if the proposed 8 day strike goes ahead....they will use "whatever means" pundits say thats getting the army to use proper fire engines........

anyone remember what reagan did to his air traffic controllers ??? :P

Looks like they are not many fireman who own a Lexus and are members of the owners club shame that, would be nice to get a opinion from someone on receiving end. Must have something do with the money they earn. 20k

All the quotes here are based on bias news reports in the media, the only thing that's true in every daily newspaper is the date and as for the TV, talk about over hype.

The firemen/women deserve every penny they get and if they get anywhere near the 40% then good luck to them.

Best Regards

Risky

What if one of your relatives, or friends, died during the strike. Would you think it was such a good idea then ?

??

bs :ph34r:

I'm sorry but I think they have every right to strike, they job they do can be f'ing dangerous, and sometimes they get very little thanks for it sometimes, I know for sure I wouldn't want to deal with half the stuff they see. and before anyone says it I am not saying the Army or any other forces have it easy, I know for a fact you don't.

They want the money they deserve, and yes they signed up for the job knowing what it was about and they things they may see, but so do squaddies

Okay call this ironic but the reason i've been off the site all day is due to the fact that I had to call the Green Goddess out last night and ended up being the first call to a house fire in the UK. The bloody place that I run fused out some strip lights on our first floor, lots of sparks and smoke and the bloody fire alarm didn't trigger!!! The green goddessess turned up - bearing in mind that we work ina listed building in the centre of Oxford - really quickly and sorted it out. Chatting to them after this as they were clearing up they are well ****** off at the fire fighters - they had the same point that mat made - the armed forces are paid far less, are often away from their families, have to go to WAR if necessary and you don't see them striking or moaning.

No sympathy whatsoever i'm afraid - it's the unions trying to take back power in this country - Work Shy Gits the lot of them

Si

red.........

yes squaddies do.......

but we dont sign up for firemen duties,bin collection,humanitarian missions in some *** dam stinking country that has problems generated by there own dislike of there fellow country men........

but we do it anyway because thats our job.....and we dont strike

the average wage of a soldier is £18,000 a year....now the army is paid for 24 hours a day 365days ayear

thats on average £49 a day

and £2 an hour...........hmmmmm,isnt that below the national wage minimum

now tell me who should be on strike!!!!!!!!!!

I personally think that they should be allowed to take over and run the fire stations with all the modern kit. The fireman should have no say in it. Isn't all the stuff inside the firestations owned by the government?

This stuff about the army not being allowed to cross picket lines and use the modern appliances really pi**es me off.

The Country owns them not the firefighters.

If Doctors and Nurses went on strike would they stop the people that covered for them using operating theatres etc.??

There are a lot more dangerous jobs for a lot less pay out there, they knew about the money before they took the job.

Toss*rs

I see that there were 21 actual incidents in the first 24 hours off this strike.

That tells a story if you look at the number of stations n/wide !!!!

As for the F*****ing tube drivers..........i feel castration with a blunt knife is in order

All sympathy to our soldiers for all their splended work. I say let the govt give the fire brigade appliances to the soldiers who have been trained up specially for the new equipment. In the Mail today a tradesman was reported as applying for the fire brigade. He stated that with their current shift pattern he could easily do both jobs with his plastering being done for cash without payment of any tax.

All I will say as another whom is serving my country is how can the politicians draw so much money under false pretences. I bet if Blair sends us to war we will continue to be paid our average of 18K a year whilst he and his defence secretary sit in their ivory tower, thousands of miles from any danger drawing 100k + each. Why do politicians get such massive pay rises but those who do all the work get **** all? Hence the reason I don't vote. They're all as bad as each other, politics is just a job to them that pays ***** loads for doing **** all, they could't care less about the country.

Glad I got that of my chest.

As for the Firemen, they can crack on stand around in the rain. I just hope the government rewards us for doing their job them. I bet the cabinet get a hefty raise for doing **** all again.

I won't bother using the quotes. In my last thread I never mention the Armed Forces only the fire service, as far as I am concerned they will do an excellent job even with the sub standard equipment they will be using. As I said before don't believe everything you read in the newspapers and see reported on the TV news as they cut and splice the film to suit their own ends. At the end of the day the only reason why the Fire service is on strike is because of Tony 'Lovie' Bair's policies and the sooner he and the rest of his cronies are removed from power the better it will be for everyone. If you remember the last time the Fire Service striked was the last time labour were in power, could there be a connection????

For the record I hope the Fire Service don't strike for 8 Days

Best Regards

Risky.

superchargedIS200.....

I know you didn't join up to be left to deal with the sh*t that your own country men caused, wasn't it to 'protect queen & country'?

And I'm also not disputing that maybe you should be paid more.

But personally I think the firecrew's should also be on more money. This strike isn't about their hatred for the people of the UK or to teach us all a lesson, they do the job because they love it & because it is part of them.....hence the reason why so many firecrew have broke the picketline to go & help people. But that doesn't mean to say they shouldn't have the right to strike. There wasn't the same outcry when the paramedics went on strike a few years back

I have avoided commenting on this, as personally I think discissing political issues on an internet forum (a car one at that) can be dangerous as the media lends itself to misunderstanding/misinterpretation....

Anyway - I think they deserve a rise. They work a 48 hour week, and shifts, unsociable hours..... starting pay is £17k rising to £21k.

They are exposed to danger, and see a lot of upsetting things. It is a difficult job - I couldn't do it even if they were offering £50k a year! They are trained, skilled people - and they often suffer illnesses in later life due to smoke inhalation etc.

£30k to me does not seem excessive, but not in one jump. Perhaps a plans should be put together to

a) Allow overtime (currently not allowed)

B) Increase their salary to a more appropriate level and contracted raises X amount above inflation for X number of years to bring them up to an agreed appropriate level.

I don't think they should strike - many firemen don't agree with the strike, but this isn't something that has 'just' happened - they have been fighting for a rise to a decent level for years.

I could reply to a few points regarding the politics quoted above, and the fact that there has been no more strikes during the Labour period than there were during the last Conservative period of power (less actually, but that is more to do with today being a different ethos to the '80s) -

but comments on those will turn this into political debate and we don't want that.

It isn't a simple debate - I support them, but not strikes.

I do hope people also realise that the deaths that occured during the strike were deaths that would have occured had the firemen been on duty too.

On average there are 3 deaths a day due to fire in the UK.

As for arguing about others also being underpaid - that is just smokescreens and irrelevent IMO. 2 wrongs don't make a right etc. Also when comparing different vocations, you have to compare the whole package, including pension, insurance etc.

Oh - and as for the army using the modern equipment, not as easy as it first looks - if they are not trained to use that equipment, they may be better working with the equipment they are more familiar with?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links