Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Decisions, Decisions

Almost at the point of going to the dealer and placing that order.

I know I can ask the dealer this and I know they will be totally honest :) but I haven't decided what model to get. All of these are within budget but the top price does stretch the wallet a little.

Choices are:

SE - comfortably within budget and I know I would be content with this

SE Nav - mid range budget, content with big smile?

SE-L - as above

SE-L Nav - ouch! but the pain may be worth it.

My feeling is that I would opt for one of the two mid-range options but what is the best to spend the extra money on, SE-L extras of NavPack extras.

I can't seem to find a definitive list of what additional features the SE-L has over the SE. Is this around anywhere? The brochure is not clear (for example, are the 'puddle lights' standard?)

Any help of comments gratefully received...

I think these are the extra parts to an SE-L over an SE:

Memory Seats

Rain sensing wipers

Front and rear parking sensors

HID headlamps with AFS

Rear armrest with storage and trunk through

Electrically adjustable steering column

Electrochromic internal and external rear view mirrors

Power sunshade (rear window)

Illuminated scuff plates (front)

Wood trim

Hope that helps (SE-L Nav is my choice :P )

I think these are the extra parts to an SE-L over an SE:

Memory Seats

Rain sensing wipers   

Front and rear parking sensors   

HID headlamps with AFS

Rear armrest with storage and trunk through   

Electrically adjustable steering column   

Electrochromic internal and external rear view mirrors   

Power sunshade (rear window)   

Illuminated scuff plates (front)   

Wood trim

Hope that helps (SE-L Nav is my choice  :P )

Thanks.

Only one driver so memory seats not vital...

Rain sensing wipers. I have those currently (on Peugeot 406 Coupe). More of a pain than a bonus. Sometimes you sit there with bad visibility waiting for the things to sweep before you come to your senses and flick them manually. Don't know whether Lexus tech would be any better.

Parking sensors sounds good although I don't have a problem parking. But parking assist is in NavPack, right?

Headlamps, OK.

Armrest, hmmm...

Steering column, see first point

Electrochromic mirrors. Have those, nice but not vital.

Power sunshade, OK

Scuff plates, hmmm..

Wood trim. Well, I prefer the SE trim

So, quite a price hike for some headlamps (the SE has headlamps, right, just not this spec :P ) and a sunshade.

Mind made up, I think, or possibly not...

Yes you get parking assist in the form of rear view camera and guide lines with the Multimedia/SatNav system. No sensors on the SE, and who really needs those beeps anyway? Camera works a treat :D

I did like the power steering adjust on the SE-L when you start the car the wheel shoots out to your preferred position whilst the dials whizz round and light up. Very plush and a nice touch. My SE only does the dial thing and the manual rake on the steering column is just fine. Just less of toy really.

As for the illuminated scuff plates...nice cool blue glow...hmm a bit like the neon boy racer strobes !! Only saying that because my SE hasn't got them, but again, a touch of flash exuberance only. Not going to miss not having them.

As for the other SE-L extras, I'm not too bothered about. Happy happy happy with the SE + Multimedia. It's the dogs B**** :D

The SE's got the lot...the Satnav parking system is fantastic with linear (green) and and predicted (Yellow) vehice guides based on steering movements and position of car. It's the best I have ever seen. the other SE-L stuff makes the car very expensive.

One thing that puzzles me is why they have 64 million way adjustable e/seats without a memory function...? For what 3 buttons and a small microchip cost...anyway off m' high horse!

Go and drive an SE if you haven't - it is fantastic to drive. I will get my comparison tonight with the bee em...looking forward to that :driving: experience. Even though I rate Lexus above Bee Em's and Audi, I just want to be sure...will let you know asap.

I see your point, the only things that would bother me would be the memory seats and the HIDs (as the parking sensors can be added - see the accessories section of the Lexus website).

If you're trying to decide between SE+Nav and SE-L, I'd go for the SE+Nav because the satnav and levinson are worth way more than the others, even HIDs can be added afterwards, so you're only really losing memory seats

I ordered the SE-L with Nav  Why?  Because it's the best!  :winky:

I can't argue with that logic, that's my motto :D

Agree bout the comment on the HIDs, but guess its the way to tell an SE-L as soon as you see it :whistling:

Looking at the SE over the base model though - what's the difference ?

Base = £22,400

SE = £25,400

So for £3,000 you get :

Bigger wheels & tyres - you are not paying for a complete set of wheels and tyres but just an 'upgrade'.

Electric leather seats.

I must agree with the above that with only one driver I'm not too fussed, the only time they get moved is at service time when a shorta*se must drive it into the shop :)

As long as I can still adjust the tilt of the bit you sit on :)

I just cannot see the justification for the additional cost of the SE or am I missing something ?

A quick check of the Mercedes (£3130) and BMW (£3000) websites show they would charge similar prices for:

Electrically adjustable seats (both do memory seats and Mercedes would charge you £380 for the privilege of having electric adjustment on the passenger seat, which I have not included), Heated (but not ventilated), lumbar suport and Alloy wheel upgrade for the above prices.

The thing to remember is that the Lexus is still a lot cheaper pound for pound. I think £3k is good value for what you get and is comparable to other brands in the market.

Hi Folks

I would suggest you go for the SE version and only add Sat Nav if you cover a large mileage - why? The SE will minimize your loss when it comes to a re-sale. The thrill you get from playing with your 'treats' soon passes and you still have £2500 saved towards the IS350 SE Sport AWD when it arrives? Only a guess so please do not press me on this.

I have to agree with Kremmen that the upgrade to SE doesn't seem to get you much so is it better to have SE or non-SE with Media Pack as costs is about £3k eitherway? I do fancy the Sat/Nav system so will definatly get that but need to decide on which model of 220d to go for given a £25k-ish budget

I have to agree with Kremmen that the upgrade to SE doesn't seem to get you much so is it better to have SE or non-SE with Media Pack as costs is about £3k eitherway? I do fancy the Sat/Nav system so will definatly get that but need to decide on which model of 220d to go for given a £25k-ish budget

Or wait for the Sport petrol/diesel :driving:

Drove a basic IS250 yesterday, with Cloth and 16" wheels - guess what? It drives better than the 17" wheeled motor!! Ride is exceptional and the road noise is 25% better (running 205/16 Bridgestones). Other than that it felt the same...

Cloth quality is good, so hopefully it will last.

For £3k and SE you get E/H/Leather seats, and granted that they are better bolstored, but it's a alot for that. Especially when you consider you'll use Heated/Cooled function twice a year!

I too have a £25kish budget, and will see if I can strike a deal for the 220d with MM pauck (non SE). Drivethedeal are knocking £996, bringing it down to £24400, so it looks like really good value. the dealer has agreed to match the price...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links