Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Sport

NetOne

My Lexus is an IS200 Sport Automatic but I could not locate the word "Sport" anywhere on the vehicle nor in the manual. Does the word "Sport" implies that this is a sport car like WRX, 200SX, Integra, S2000, MR2, Celica etc ? I looked over & over again, and the only thing I found is that the wheels and exhaust are similar from those sport cars. The body looks just like any sedan and with a noisy engine, which I expected it to be dead quiet from a luxury brand. When I compared it to all the sport cars I know I found it to be the least performance one. :blush:

And on the road, it's even a lot slower than the very basic Mazda6 & Accord Euro when racing off from the traffic light, which cost almost just half the price. ;) Still wondering for the last few months whether the money spent worthwhile ;) Hope to hear more positive comment from you.

If memory serves me correct, sport has the limited slip diff, rear quarter privacy glass with sport logos, boot spoiler with LED brake light, the suspension is lower by about 5mm, later models have a sports grille and close ratio box.

almost, but no cigar

sport has:

LSD

tinted rear windows

sport decal on rear 1/4 lights

chrome sill plates

chrome pedals

suspension lowered 15mm on later models

chrome exhaust trim/end piece

lip spoiler, or on later cars, larger spoiler with intergrated brake light

NetOne is none Uk,( ?....Continental) so his/her car will not be Uk specification

Edited by Monster-Mat

My one doesn't have "boot spoiler with LED brake light" :unsure:

Could not locate the "rear quarter privacy glass with sport logos". Do you have a picture of it please.

Do you mind to explain what's "limited slip diff" and "close ratio box". What's advantage and good about it over other cars ?

The UK spec of the sport only states it is a sport on the rear door window quater lights. It has "sport" in grey writing.

The rear windows are a darker tint that the front and windscreen.

The spoiler is a snug fitting type on the rear bonnet. The sill plates are chrome, the foot penals are chrome drill effect, the gear know is silver, the dials have silver/grey edging.

Apart from those visible touches, the rear differential is slip diff, which is supposed to provide better handling round bends. The suspension is lowered to provide a stiffer ride and more sporty sleek look.

Engine in the sport is the same as the other models, so not really a true sport, more about the style than anything else. Supose it was easier to call it a sport instead of just listing the options (glass, spoiler, suspension, slip diff, chrome thingys etc..)

had a loan car lexus,200se auto with kit on.sport logo on grill.

i understand they didnt make an is200sport auto,did they?

If they did, it seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to me ;)

Then again, Ferrari have made cars with automatic gearboxes in the past, so it's feasible...

L.

had a loan car lexus,200se auto with kit on.sport logo on grill.

i understand they didnt make an is200sport auto,did they?

sports grill has "sport" logo, although this is an aftermarket accessory and not standard even on the sport

the sport was never an auto in the uk

My one doesn't have "boot spoiler with LED brake light" :unsure:

Could not locate the "rear quarter privacy glass with sport logos". Do you have a picture of it please.

Do you mind to explain what's "limited slip diff" and "close ratio box". What's advantage and good about it over other cars ?

Yeah i have the sports model and not having much technical knowlege id like to know what these do if anyne could elaborate

it would be far easier to use google to explain what an LSD (limited slip differential does)

to be more helpfull it is a Torsen Limited Slip Differential

the is200 sport DOES NOT have a close ratio gearbox, or no closer than any other is200

Edited by Monster-Mat

THe last model to be released 2005 had closer gears that the older model. I know because Lexus tried to get me to trade my IS200 Sport 52 plate for an 05 model. This was before they admitted a new IS was being released !

Anyway the box was much closer than my IS200 Sport.

THe last model to be released 2005 had closer gears that the older model. I know because Lexus tried to get me to trade my IS200 Sport 52 plate for an 05 model. This was before they admitted a new IS was being released !

it had the TRD short shifter, the gear ratios are the same

it had the TRD short shifter, the gear ratios are the same

OK, that is too technical for me now. :blink: I thought (wrongly) that close ratio was how close the travel was between gears, thus the newer Sport had closer gear shifts. Now that we are referring to the actual gear ratios, well that's another story, and I bow to your greater knowledge on that subject.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links