Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is V Audi A3

jonny

Please no violent reactions!

I am buying a new car very soon and my two final choices are the Lexus IS 200 or the Audi A3.

The Lexus is great, I think it's superbly styled inside and out and drives well. I also know the service will be outstanding from what has so far been a very impressive dealership.

BUT... I also know running costs are high and the engine in the IS200 can't match the performance of the A3 2.0 TDI. I can not go for the IS 300 because of insurance costs - I'm only 23!

The boot may also be a problem without folding rear seats.

Faults of the Audi would be...dull interior, expensive and not sure about the quality of after sales-service.

HELP !

:unsure:

jonny

Welcome to the club :D

We are, in the majority, biased toward the lexus.

My son had an A3 sports, loved it, but preferred my Lex, for all the bells and whistles,and reliability.

When his A3 went wrong Audi couldn't find out what the problem was, took an old fashioned owner/mechanic garage to find out what was wrong.

The choice is up to you, try a test drive in each if possible.

Cheers Peter.

Problem is, I've taken a test drive in each and although I loved the Lexus, I can't seem to ignore the nagging voice in my head that waffles on about the performance and fuel economy of the Audi. Difficult!

what are the performance figures of the audi jonny?

Lexus in my opinion much nicer looking and rarer car on the road. s/c'd or turbo'd they are an aggressive saloon with decent power.

To be honest mate if you are thinking about fueling costs then you shouldnt be looking at the lexus as i will tell you as will anyone on here that the IS is thirsty. Just my 2cents.

Right lets see.

First of all your buying an audi or lexus, these two brands are 'prestige' although I have seen way to many audis on the road (not biased honest!). Yeah the petrol costs is gonna be a more on the lexus however in the long run Lexus have much better reliability (thats what the stats say) so you should end up spending less on parts etc.

But then you will see far too many A3's on the road they are way too common. You get a Lexus and it aint that common at all. Plus they are way cooler than audis. Audis are like scafolding you find one at the corner of every building.

my two pences worth.

Cheers Peter.

Problem is, I've taken a test drive in each and although I loved the Lexus, I can't seem to ignore the nagging voice in my head that waffles on about the performance and fuel economy of the Audi.  Difficult!

i looked at changing from a lex to audi for reasons you stated

we took a test drive in a new a3 sport and couldnt believe how bad the ride was

been told the se model is better though just avoid the sport packs!

oh! better add didnt buy it and never did try the se a few minutes with the sales guy discussing specs on audi and what it would cost to match the lex saw me running for the hills

Faults of the Audi would be...dull interior, expensive and not sure about the quality of after sales-service.

and boring ! IMO !

The IS is thirsty - to thirsty. So if you are looking for fuel economy its the wrong choice.

I can stay with an A3 2.0 TDI - I think they are about equally matched on power (not MPG) A3 2.0 TDI SPORT SPEC

I think of it this way - if the A3 does 38 urban, and IS does maybe 27 mpg urban, at 10000 mile per year and 85p unleaded and 89p diesel, the IS costs £26 per month more in fuel.

Its worth £26 per month to be a cut above an A3 -

I put high octane in which costs me about £3 a week more - but you can feel the difference in power.

That said I am teetering on the edge of buying this :

bmw.jpg

2002 02 Reg BMW 330d Sport 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 29,000 miles, Metallic Orient Blue. ABS, Air conditioning, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head . . . . (trade)

£16,995

:shutit: :shutit:

Not sure about colour wanted a black one.

I have been looking for months but can not seem to commit to parting with my IS.

It does not matter how slow or costly the fuel is, the IS gets in your heart and I will greive if it goes.

Ten a penny the BMW. Dont get me wrong i was gonna get the 325ci sport coupe but got the IS instead as i always liked them even when i had my previous cars.

Too commom the BMW, every man and his mongerel has 2 of them.

As much as I looked at getting a BMW 7 series and still love them, and running costs would be more id assume, the Lexus as everyone would point out to me was just that little bit special. Something unusual, not the norm. I know the neighbours still wonder how I afford one............

But thats another story!!! :D

and boring ! IMO !

The IS is thirsty - to thirsty. So if you are looking for fuel economy its the wrong choice.

I can stay with an A3 2.0 TDI - I think they are about equally matched on power (not MPG) A3 2.0 TDI SPORT SPEC

I think of it this way - if the A3 does 38 urban, and IS does maybe 27 mpg urban, at 10000 mile per year and 85p unleaded and 89p diesel, the IS costs £26 per month more in fuel.

Its worth £26 per month to be a cut above an A3 -

I put high octane in which costs me about £3 a week more - but you can feel the difference in power.

That said I am teetering on the edge of buying this :

bmw.jpg

2002 02 Reg BMW 330d Sport 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 29,000 miles, Metallic Orient Blue. ABS, Air conditioning, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head . . . . (trade)

£16,995

:shutit: :shutit:

Not sure about colour wanted a black one.

I have been looking for months but can not seem to commit to parting with my IS.

It does not matter how slow or costly the fuel is, the IS gets in your heart and I will greive if it goes.

Go have a drive in the BM 330d, I did,(the other week) lots of power, very nice car, but not as nice a car as my lexus for the money, the lexus is a better car to drive too IMO :D so for now, im keeping the lexus :D

Thanks everyone!

I just needed a little convincing.

Crazylex makes a good point about it only being around £30 difference a month, which I reckon I can sacrifice.

Everyone has made good points though.

I think I'll phone the Lexus dealership after the bank holiday and have a more serious chat.

Gord, please do not buy a beamer (especially a black one), if you do, you'll have to change your name to 'Leroy' and occupation to 'gangster'.

:D

I am 23 too, and the price difference between the IS200 and 300 insurance wise isn't that great. In fact with some insurance companies I had had quotes from in the past, the IS300 has actually been cheaper. I think this is because it is an auto and has VSC (better traction control)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links