Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Ever Used Rac/aa Vehicle Inspection Before?

monster

Just a quick one :P

Has anyone ever bought one of these inspection checks before buying a used car? I can look for obvious stuff myself on body panels and that, but wouldn't have a clue if something mechanically was on it's way out. Do you think they would be worth it considering paying about £135 could save me a fortune in the future, and they're insured should anything be missed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Miles

Has anyone ever bought one of these inspection checks before buying a used car? I can look for obvious stuff myself on body panels and that, but wouldn't have a clue if something mechanically was on it's way out. Do you think they would be worth it considering paying about £135 could save me a fortune in the future, and they're insured should anything be missed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Miles

Well, I sold a car that someone had an AA FULL check done on it! Was VERY thorough; jacked the car up sideways about 30 degrees..... (dug a hole in the drive way!) and seemed to check every nut and bolt. Was great for me because I could cost up any faults ...which didn't prove necessary as it sold.

As one is considering spending £000s, it makes sense to do a thorough check. And peace of mind (or haggling based on the report) make it worthwhile?

Hello to St Helens from an ex Scouser, by the way!

Yes, I used RAC before buying my GS. I went for the 300 quid check. To be honest, the guy inspecting was pleasant enough on the phone when he gave me a verbal report, but seemed like he wanted to minimise the time on the phone with me.

It's worth getting just for peace of mind to make sure there's no BIG things wrong with the car.

Hello to an ex scouser from an adopted one! Don't think you'll ever be an "ex" as it always keep a twang in your voice mate! Great stuff! :D

Thanks for the comments guys. Did they check much that you wouldn't have known how to check or probably would have missed?

Ta, Miles

i havnt used one personally, but my friend did when looking for a car, he was going to get a clio sport, took a guy from the RAC for the inpection check who said the car was knackered saving him a fortune.

Got a bit of a dilema now. Was only gonna pay the RAC £156 minimum check to spot anything major, however, as it's an import this check is not available. I can have the same check for £360 :sick: The AA won't do the check at all on an import car but directed me to Insitute of auto engineers or something. Now it seems that these are mechanics who sit exams and get certain recognised qualifications. However, if something is missed and does go wrong then I don't think there'll be any form of compensation cover :unsure: Do you think that I could pay a mechanic from a garage to perform the same job?

:blink:

Ta, Miles

Got a bit of a dilema now. Was only gonna pay the RAC £156 minimum check to spot anything major, however, as it's an import this check is not available. I can have the same check for £360 :sick: The AA won't do the check at all on an import car but directed me to Insitute of auto engineers or something. Now it seems that these are mechanics who sit exams and get certain recognised qualifications. However, if something is missed and does go wrong then I don't think there'll be any form of compensation cover :unsure: Do you think that I could pay a mechanic from a garage to perform the same job?

:blink:

Ta, Miles

I think that's what I would rather do - slip £50 to a qualified mechanic and get him to do maintenance checks on the car.

But that's my 2 pennies worth.

I have purchased 2 cars now that have carried an RAC check and both of them had faults that should have been easily picked up.

They are only as good as the guy doing it and wouldn't seperate with the cash personaly. If you have no idea what to look for I suppose they are OK but most faults show up on a test drive or when you poke about under the bonnet.

I agree that it all depends on the guy doing the checking, friend of mine who was buying a second hand celica privately a long while back got a main dealer to inspect to the car before buying it, they gave it the all clear....A few weeks later and after some rain getting in to the passangers footwell, he took it to another garage who had been just recommend to him after the initial examination and they informed him that the car was in a very serious passanger side collision , so much so that the left wheel was actually 2" farther back than the right side wheel......needed legal proceedings to sort out the mess....

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Miles

Hey Miles,

If buying a used Lexus from a Lexus dealer, it comes with an RAC inspection. Other garages may offer the same.

Otherwise, I did a check on a private car I was going to buy - not the full mechanical one, but the history check, and it revealed that the car had been clocked. :yack:

The seller denied all knowledge though... :arrrggg-matey:

If buying an expensive car and it doesn't have a full dealer service history, then I definately would.

If its a cheap kind of car, then i'd say a good test drive should ease your mind a bit...

D.

I get my dad to check mine over, but if I was buying privately, I'd definitely back it up with one of those rac warrantys though. But I'm sure most garrages would check alot of things anyway, as it will only cost them on their warrantys/reputation. Not sure if all of them have that much sennse though!

Just to throw something else in the mix. The guy I'm buying this car off is a trader on eBay. Now if I buy this car and there is something dangerously wrong do I have any consumer rights where I cold take this back or would I need to get something in writing when handing over the cash first (if so has anyone got an example).

Ta,

When you say "Trader" you still mean it's a private buy....yes?

The vehicle must still be 'as described' but that's where your legal protection ends.....but if it's not as described you can try and sue them...

Now if I buy this car and there is something dangerously wrong do I have any consumer rights

Well as far as i know they can't knowingly sell you a dangerous car as this could be considered a legal offence.....but then you have to prove they "knew" that the car had this fault.....bound to get messy...

I have had full inspection reports on both of my lexuses, GS300 MK1 and Aristo V300 MKII.

I advised the dealer that I would have the vehicles subject to a full inspection on the following conditions.

1:- If any faults are reported he puts them right.

2:- If not - the he refunds the full cost of the inspection.

Always get this in writing 1st with the cost of the report.

I have never had a problem with this.

If they were not prepaired to do this I would walk away.

Both reports have saved me a lot of money.

Thats my experiance anyway.

Good luck

Best regards

Paul

He sells cars on eBay and will live or die on his feedback so I don't think I've got too much to worry about, it's also been MOT'd today. If the car was sold on autotrader even though it isn't from a forecourt he would still be classed as a trader if you see what I mean.

The guy genuinely sounds like a nice chap...just thinking about worse case senario though as I can't get it properly checked. I'm sure it'll be fine it's just that little nagging in my head. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Thanks for all your help anyway guys!

Miles

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links