Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

159 Mph Cop Aquittal Last Year

lelandv

Remember the thing last year with the traffic PC who was clocked at doing 159 Mph on the motorway, and was acquitted of all charges?

Apparently, the acquittal is being challenged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4664592.stm

He said: "I can't help but see the irony that those that brought this prosecution are those very people who have purchased cars that go at this speed and paid for him (the defendant) to go to learn to drive at these speeds."

If they use that argument, then there is no reason that members of the public who have been through advanced/high-speed/high-performance driving courses shouldn't be able to use the same argument. Legal precedent and all that... One rule for some and a different one for everyone else?

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the boys in traffic division, and respect their training. But this officer last year was completely out of line last year, in my not-so-humble opinion. There's a time and place... ( like german autobahns for example :blush: )

(My speed record is 305km/h in a testarossa on the german autobahn on a summer sunday morning at around 6am -- was the only vehicle on the road -- diddn't sustain the speed very long as the "unlimited/recommended speed area" was only 25km long... I preferred Dijon Prenois racing circuit in the 355 personally...)

L.

Maybe fair justice will be done then next time. It's cases like this which infuriate other road users and cause hostile feelings towards coppers. I hope he gets punished for it, their is no excuse.

Rant over.

Easy Lads!

These traffic boys have a hard job to do someone has to do it otherwise well have total loonies on the road!

And he yes he was doing 159 MPH!

But I read somewhere that it was in the early hours of the morning on completely dead A Roads!

They have to get some Hi Speed real life practice in somewhere and as long as no one was hurt or injured and considereing his driving skills and regular maintenance of the vehicle he was in I dont see a problem!

Unless he was doing it on the M4 peak traffic time LOl

:winky:

It was on a motorway in the dark. Since there was no emergency, I agree he should feel the full weight of the law.

Otherwise, what message does it send out to the population at large?

One rule for some.........?

Living in Telford where these crimes were comitted I was horified to read the case last year. He was doing 70 in a 30 mile zone and 159 on the A5/M54. What if some one had been killed? If he needs to try out his suped up car, let him go to a race track NOT out town! :tsktsk:

We all speed a little, even police officers (when not on a call)

However, 159mph .............. is just taking the micky.

I couldn't even justify doing that speed my self on an emergency call....... forget about 'familiarising your self with the vehicle'

:D

Stick him in strangeways and they will ride him like a speeding bullet. F****** C***

Seen an accident today involving a speeding police astra. Another example of how one rule applies to the public and another to them. Straight into a barrier near a school crossing. Wish the c*** went through his windscreen.

Pip, there is no need to be like that is there?

If the driver was on an emergency call, and he had an accident - you talking like that doesn't really help does it ?

Just think that cop may have to drive to you one day ........

Pip, there is no need to be like that is there?

If the driver was on an emergency call, and he had an accident - you talking like that doesn't really help does it ?

Just think that cop may have to drive to you one day ........

WELL SAID!...... there is a difference between driving to a call and driving like a fool.....

We all have accidents...... thats why we wear underpants..... :whistling:

Nah mate the only time they drive to me is to stick their nose in when its not required. :tsktsk:

Dont want their help and never needed it nor will i ever ask for it. People deal with things their own way round here. Just take a trip up to manc' land & up north and see the greetings they get.

I urge you to take a drive into chorlton, longsight and salford... :shifty:

Yes you will need new underpants.. :lol:

The emergency call was probably tesco running low on doughnuts, as he was on route. Very visible sign indicating a school close by him driving like he was in an episode of the A-team, was not called for. He couldnt drive for ******* either as went straight into a railing, prat.

There was no justifiable cause in the other cops case of 159mph..deal with him the same, send him to general population.

Well I've just seen on the news that the appeal court have decided the previous "not guilty" verdict was wrong. So his case will be tried again.

Not sure why the taxpayers money has to be wasted by a re-trial, but at least common sense has finally won though.

Yes. I don't know the M54. but all the news items I've seen on this suggest there aren't even any street lights.

I hit a deer 2 years ago on an unlit A road doing 50, and that was bad enough. Couldn't see it coming till it landed on my bonnet :megaangry:

Glad to see the appeal court has turned the case over. No the M54 doesn't have lights all the way, neither does the A5 to Shrewsbury. My worry was he was alleged to have been doing 70 through a 30mph bulit up area. Thats motorway speeds through housing areas.

surely it's more dangerous to 'deal with things our way' than to speed on an empty motorway, for the dealee that is, not the dealer. so how can you criticise? should everyone opposed to violence (we are talking violence here right) start printing swear words with asterisks to show how displeased they are with your pro-violence-ness.

:offtopic: Lol @ star(mahatma gandhi :lol: ) wait until you have to deal with extreme violence(hoping you never have to) being a violent society that we live in, then utter your statement again.

There are two types of people: those that hide and those that dont. People who wonder what happened and people who make things happen.

Its my opinion and you have yours. I train MMA so i guess i am that way inclined to think yet it takes a lot to provoke

We will leave it at that dude. ;)

Looks like there maybe some reforms in compliance with police patrol behaviour in light of his re-trial. :shifty:

• 6 months later...

Time to resurrect this post!

I see from the news just now that the retrial has found him guilty of dangerous driving. BUT NO PUNISHMENT :angry: No fine, points or anything :o

Don't tell me that there isn't one rule for some.......... I'm not impressed.

IanB :D :angry::angry::angry:

Update: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/5284962.stm

the problem is,when 10 other high speed police drivers stand up and say that this is normal practice and that it goes on and will continue to go on,then what choice do the courts have.absolute discharge and he still wants to appeal,what a ****

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links