Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Supermarket Car Parks

MacRS200

Why you planning your own £40m heist on tescos? lol!

Need to be 1 big supermarket to have £40m in the tills :lol:

No was wondering if traffic laws applied

Supermarket car parks is where i have seen the worst inconsiderate and malicious behaviour from people.

Specially at Xmas, rush to buy a weeks worth of food to last for 2 days.

There are a number of test cases which show that a car park can be classified as a public place, whether or not officially open to the public, i.e. legislation covering drink driving may apply.

Ultimately, it is at the discretion of the courts to decide whether "public place" applies, based upon the circumstances of the case in question.

Thanks ScarFace

So the question is do the usual laws that apply to a vehicle on the Public Highway apply to a vehicle in a Public Place. Road Fund Licence, Insurance etc, would a speed limit be enforceable in law, and could you be charged with say Leaving the Scene of an Accident or Dangerous Driving whilst in the car park when the Supermarket is open.

It's not a private land.

It's only private when the supermarket is CLOSED to the public.

Otherwise, it's deemed a PUBLIC PLACE, not necessarily a PUBLIC HIGWAY butit's a PUBLIC PLACE.

Id argue this as car parks are owned by the super markets and thereofe private, they even state their not liable for thefts, acidents etc etc. Also, the Public highway as a builder told me is only one metre from road surface.

Just found this:

Super Market car parks

Edited by Kazi

Id argue this as car parks are owned by the super markets and thereofe private, they even state their not liable for thefts, acidents etc etc. Also, the Public highway as a builder told me is only one metre from road surface.

Don't arge with me mate ... I don't make the rules !

Go an dargue with the judge ............... :D

Don't arge with me mate ... I don't make the rules !

Go an dargue with the judge ............... :D

Other sources state different thats all mate. Little confusing if one person/source says it is and other peeps say no its private etc etc. :duh:

It's not a private land.

It's only private when the supermarket is CLOSED to the public.

Otherwise, it's deemed a PUBLIC PLACE, not necessarily a PUBLIC HIGWAY butit's a PUBLIC PLACE.

Just found this:

Super Market car parks

That Builder obviously didnt know what he was talking about, the public highway can extend for a lot more than 1 metre from the kerb, it is all down to the land rights for the location. What he is saying is the same as saying that everyone has a back garden 4 metres long.... its differnent for different locations.

Its a public carpark once the public have access to only private when the gate is closed to the public!

Same as a private estate where i live looked after by the residence the road threw it is not private as there is no gates n public can access it! n when i was out on my mini moto thought it was a private road till a police car cornered me took the bike n fined me 250 euro for drivin without tax n insurance n a public place :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Any help i dont know :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links