Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Static Shock!

Noel

Hi all,

In the last two weeks i've been getting static shocks from the car..... nothing out of the ordinary as it's been that type of weather.... until yesterday... I turned on the car and was just about to drive to work, when i realised i had forgotten something in the house, turned off the car as i needed the keys.... gone about 4 mins got back and recieved another "static" shock from the door of the car....

Now that seems to me as something else is going on as she wasn't driven so where did the charge come from???

What do you guys think....... earthing problems?

where do i start?

Btw my problem with "rough tickover " is still around.... out of ideas.......Could it all be related?

Thanks

If it makes you feel any better, its been happening to me over the same sort of time period. I just put it down to the weather.

Be interesting if anyone does have other theories.

Problem with that Mike is she's not always with me........ but have done that just for fun...... :lol:

Other trick is to close the door by pushing against the window as glass dosen't conduct.......

No it's not my clothing as it seems i am grounding the car not the car grounding me..... car sitting on great insulators as we know.....

Definitly think it's some electrical earthing problem with the car.....

now where did i put that multimeter....? :blink:

Static is usually caused when air humidity is low, although that's unusual where you live, I guess. I had a big problem with this years ago when I worked in Calgary (Canada) - very dry there in April.

Also, have you bought new insulating shoes recently?

IanB :D

Couple more thoughts.

From what you say it sounds like the problem occurs when the engine is running, so: -

1. On the principle of a Van der Graf generator, have you changed your fanbelt recently?

2. Could the ignition system be leaking in such way as to let HT voltage get onto the car body? Try looking under the bonnet at night, to look for signs of sparks tracking from ignition components to earth.

I'm clutching at straws here, but if all else fails you could always buy one of those earthing straps they sell for car sickness, if you don't mind having one hanging from the back of your car :o

Good luck with the hunt.

IanB :D

1. nope

2. along the lines that i've be thinking............all seem to start when the coil pack and plugs were changed

Might get one of those straps that hang underneath the chassis ........

or one with a reflector in the shape of a Love heart.....:sick:

Hold your key by the metal blade, bring the blade close to the car's metalwork. Arc will jump from the car to the key, you won't feel it anywhere near as much as you do when it arcs to your fingers!

Well i orderd a universal earthing kit of flea bay last night, will see if that helps.......

Another tip i got off the Internet was to drive naked......serious!

bit too cold yet but the dark tinted windows will come in handy..... :lol:

Clothes.

I agree 100% clothes

I had this when the MK3 Astra came out, we had 20 or so of them.

It was down to the engineers overalls and the seat material.

Only solution was change material, or touch the ceiling before they got out.

Even Vauxhall got involved as we were threating to send them back.

They proved it to be clothes.

Remember what happens when rubbing a balloon on your shirt - you can stick it to the ceiling.

Rubbing your clothes against the seat creates static.

Bounce may not be such a bad idea

I posted a similar topic some time ago, but it was the wife getting shocked...........Someone recommended her to go commando ie nickerless :D

Doesn't get shocked now, Just wears cotton or wool clothes :D

Use "Bounce" in your tumble drier. :D

oldun :lol:

Ahh, the old "Rod Hull" recommendation... Ariel and Bounce!

(I'm sure this comment will get a terrible reception...) :shifty:

On a different note, I seem to be getting zapped all round the house this week. Zapped by my DVD recorder and brass dimmer switch yesterday, by the sockets on the back of my laptop earlier. Even got a shock off a fork in the dish rack just now - fork was grounding to the stainless-steel sink! Definitely static though, the house ain't live! The simple act of getting up off a leather sofa seems to build up quite a charge!

Use "Bounce" in your tumble drier. :D

oldun :lol:

Ahh, the old "Rod Hull" recommendation... Ariel and Bounce!

(I'm sure this comment will get a terrible reception...) :shifty:

On a different note, I seem to be getting zapped all round the house this week. Zapped by my DVD recorder and brass dimmer switch yesterday, by the sockets on the back of my laptop earlier. Even got a shock off a fork in the dish rack just now - fork was grounding to the stainless-steel sink! Definitely static though, the house ain't live! The simple act of getting up off a leather sofa seems to build up quite a charge!

But have you tried bathing with Ariel and drying yourself with a Bounce sheet and going nude.............. :lol:

But have you tried bathing with Ariel and drying yourself with a Bounce sheet and going nude.............. :lol:

No, but I reccommend Bold instead of Ariel. :)

Now go and wash your clothes and dry them in the tumble drier with a sheet of Bounce. Then put them on and go for a drive. If you do not get a shock, then that was your answer. If you do get a shock then the experiment has only cost you a sheet of Bounce. Far cheaper than anything else you choose to do, and you'll have learned how to use the washing machine as well.

Ben there, done that and it worked for me. :lol:

oldun.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links