Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera Dectectors

Teddy

Do these these things do the job they are supposed to do? Or are they as accurate as advertised in car mags?

I have a Snooper and have just been sent a letter by the OB for speeding on the M20. Never saw any flash, nothing. Don't ask me how it happended but this stuff beeps at everything. I have changed the settings but it still beeps at traffic lights. Even when it get to fixed cameras, it only beeps when I am literally 20 yards. The bloody thing sits on the dash so it's got a clear view.

Anyone experiencing this?

I was persuaded to go for the top end Snooper cos it could give me a 400 yards warning when approaching a camera, blah blah blah. Total crap.

Which one is the best / most accurate out there? Morpheus Geodesy, Beltronics?

Teddy

I have a Blue-i, its 100% accurate so far. Can warn you up to 2000 metres from a camera.

Only problem is that it will not detect a mobile camera only fixed ones.

You probable got caught by a spec camera, two camera's set a fixed distance apart which read your number plate as you pass through both and work out your speed.

So no flashes :baaa:

Blue-i warn of these :D

Same here in France, they started to use mobile speed detectors, the point is that they still use a flash onboard.

Speeding now in France is a risky business, if they catch you 40 kilometers upper than the speed limit, they will imobilise your car, big penalties and jugement.

I have a Laser superwide model detector, this in city will beep a lot, even with the city mode on, but it saves my driving licence a couple of , covering radars kind like mesta, multa nova for dopler effects ones, and lazer like multa lazer.

Even with it, a radar will warm up on you (assuming that you're approching) at 60, 50 meters, definitly too late to brake, a laser ones can catch you at 400 meters !!!

For both type the only solution is to have a good car in front of you acting like a pilot fish (thanks to Beemers drivers who want to demonstrate that they can go faster than a Lex) with the radar detector on, at about 400, 500 meters from him. If he pass one, you will be advise.

For those who drive often to France, the normal trap they use is simple, they place a radar at about 2, 3 kilometers from a Highway toll (generally a highway service access, or a bridge.

They don't use flash on this one, and they catch you at the toll, so take special care to toll zones.

If you've got any doubt, or you was speeding and the radar detector beeps on, try to stop before the toll and wait for a while.

Anyway in a few we will have the same fixed radar boxes than yours on higway, cities and so.

Speeding in Froggies land will be azardous now.

@d'taleur

Vince

I have a Snooper ........

I have changed the settings but it still beeps at traffic lights. Even when it get to fixed cameras, it only beeps when I am literally 20 yards. The bloody thing sits on the dash so it's got a clear view.

Which snooper model have you got?

I have a Snooper S5 - This advises to use a mode called "logic 3" in the UK and this filters out most of the unwanted alarms. It works fine for me. Probably get 500+ yards notice on most Gatso cameras.

Useless on the new"digital" type of Cameras though - as a few of the other replies have mentioned these are not detected. Snooper has just released an S6 - which also combines the GPS info.

I have had this in my last car for a year and it worked fine. Only had my IS200 for a week and I have not found the best location for it yet. If I have it too low the wipers are in the way and I only get 20 - 30 yards notice. Put it up near the rear view mirror and it is much better.

Hi,

I'm using a BEL F946 from Beltronics. So far no problem at all. exept one time, I've been flashed on the Highway in france, 223kmh. that's because the detector was... inside my bag... in the trunk... stupid me.

I never used it in england but it work pretty good here in France.

- Rodder, same now in France they can immobilise your car (live experience for my dad with his bike)

- Claire, same here too, if it's out date

Another trick, at the moment still working on for bike users, the radar use to take a pict from front, so if you see some Gendarmes (they come always by pairs) coming on you at the toll, take off your jacket, put the jacket on your number plate, turn off the bike and push it to them, and ask them gently to give you your plate number.

99% they can't (try to look a plate on a bike going faster), so ask them to write the penalty paper that they are unable to give the number and no more problems.

The only way to identify a vehicule is by is plate number for speeding, without they can't do anything, except beeing angry and giving you others less important penalties.

If you ever get caught on a mobile speed camera, ask when it was last calibrated and to see the calibration certificate. If it's out-of-date, the Police can't prosecute you for speeding as they can't guarantee accuracy, apparently.

This needs to more widely know, most of the mobile speed camera are out of calibration and they need to be re-calibrated at least once every six months

I have a Snooper ........

I have changed the settings but it still beeps at traffic lights. Even when it get to fixed cameras, it only beeps when I am literally 20 yards. The bloody thing sits on the dash so it's got a clear view.

Which snooper model have you got?

I have a Snooper S5 - This advises to use a mode called "logic 3" in the UK and this filters out most of the unwanted alarms. It works fine for me. Probably get 500+ yards notice on most Gatso cameras.

Useless on the new"digital" type of Cameras though - as a few of the other replies have mentioned these are not detected. Snooper has just released an S6 - which also combines the GPS info.

I have had this in my last car for a year and it worked fine. Only had my IS200 for a week and I have not found the best location for it yet. If I have it too low the wipers are in the way and I only get 20 - 30 yards notice. Put it up near the rear view mirror and it is much better.

hi all,

big cheers for all the replies. My snooper is the S5 and big cheers to Risky and Claire G for the calibration tip. will check on that.

Those who do a lot of driving in main land Europe, it is very risky using that sort of thing.My snooper sits on my dash but when in europe i am extra careful.The French and the Belgain cops are the worst. These guys don't listen to any thing you have to say. It,s either you car, or a heavy fine. You are an easy target if you have a foreign plate. Vince-com, where do you hide your detector when driving in France.

Got done once in Belguim for doing 82mph instead of 75mph. Had to fork out 170 quid for that. And the annoying thing is I was in the slow lane and these didn,t bother to stop any of those in the fast lane. Was followed on a bit, was then signalled to follw the cop, turned off at the next junction, then went the opposite direction till the next jucntion, then back to where they were hiding.

That made me buy the snooper and still got done in the UK.

GPS system fine on fixed cameras and induction loop triggered cameras, but none of them any good on SPEC or video cams,use a bit of common sense and keep your EYES open, I think they are getting trained by the SAS now,Look out for them scoping you from beneath that slugs belley. :o

That must be No.100 at long last :hehe:

Teddy, when I'm driving alone I put it on the left corner of the dashboard, near the GPS and auto light bulbs, difficult for a cop to see it in a corner, and easy to take off.

My wife manage it when we're traveling, especially hiding it in case of problem.

As a smoker, a good way to hind it is a 25 cigarettes package, it fit perfectly inside, and what cop will take a look to an anonymous cigarettes packakge ? :P

Just out of interest how have you all installed your snoopers? Have you hard wired in to a permanent live and hidden the cable ehind the dash or just plugged straight into the cigar lighter?

my snooper 5 sits on the dash (on a sticky tape) and plugged into the cig lighter. this way you can remove it quickly when stopped by the cops abroad.

I have been stopped by the cops in the UK before (not for speeding, but to check the car out I suppose) and didn't bother hiding it as it's legal in the UK.

Just out of interest how have you all installed your snoopers? Have you hard wired in to a permanent live and hidden the cable ehind the dash or just plugged straight into the cigar lighter?

Mine attached to the passenger sunvisor with velcro and wired into the mirror-dimming electronics

I put mine at the bottom centre of the windscreen so the base rests on top of the tray, this stops it moving and doesn't seem to effect the range. I then connect it to the cigarette lighter but the cable is very neat.

I also have a portable sat nav unit, and for that I wired it to the back of the cigarette lighter. That whole section including the gear knob mounting lifts up very easily.

Just out of interest how have you all installed your snoopers?  

Mine is just above the rear view mirror. I will be getting it wired into the interior light cluster near the mirror. Had it like this in my last car - you can still unplug it just as easy but saves having the wire dangling down. It is also a bit more hidden rather than being on the top of the dashboard.

Does make you lazy though and tend to leave it in the car plugged in - stupid or what ? :withstupid: £300+ and I leave it in the car. Must go and bring it in before I forget!!

B

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links