Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Chipped Windscreen

awrite mate.

i had same problem this week and my car was going in for MOT, so i phoned auto glass, the came out and fixed it through my insurance, its free aslong as they are repairing it and not replacing it.

the guy told me as long as the chip isnt bigger than a pound coin or in the direct line of vision then it can me fixed without replacing windscreen.

they done top job aswell, there isnt even so much as a scratch on mine now

mine is bang in the centre...not in the field of vision. So with my car beig only 3 weeks old I assume its still under warranty??? Who do I phone and has anyone got a number??

will not be covered by warranty

look through your insurance details, should have a number to ring

If your fully comp which I assume you are. Then give Direct Line a buzz and they have windsheild cover on fully comp policies. They will organise a replacement windshield.

You will however have to pay an excess. Or depending ont he size of the chip, they may repair is F.O.C.

If you want the windscreen replaced then tell the insurance that you want lexus to do it, As i have had alot of problems with glass fitted by companies like Autoglass before, The amount of wind noise is so much that it could possibly make you deaf!. This was done on more than one ocassion. but maybe im bad luck when it comes to windscreens :lol:

to be honest mate, i'd reccomend replacing the entire windscreen - its just not worth the hassle. i had a small stone chip at the very bottom of my windscreen about 6 months ago and overnight the temperature change left me with a 15cm crack :o :o

one bit of advice though....make sure you watch the glass fitter like a hawk!!! make sure they don't cut any corners etc :duh:

to be honest mate, i'd reccomend replacing the entire windscreen - its just not worth the hassle. i had a small stone chip at the very bottom of my windscreen about 6 months ago and overnight the temperature change left me with a 15cm crack :o :o

one bit of advice though....make sure you watch the glass fitter like a hawk!!! make sure they don't cut any corners etc :duh:

Just had mine replaced by the RAC, I asked for a Lexus part and they supplied and fitted no problems... :D

£60 access on the insurance :yawn: .

Basically, if it's Directline you'll have no problems - just call Auto windscreens - they even contact your insurance company for you!! They will advise if a new one (£60 excess) or repair (free to you) is appropriate.

If they say replace, insist on OEM (Original) as the IS has things like the Wiper De-icer at the base of the screen), and if it's not extortionate get an OEM one with a tint band at the top (I miss that).

Insist you go to them (even though them coming to you seems attractive) - from my experience, they bring half the tools and will not do the work if it's too cold or raining. They need access to your garage if you have one. When they replaced my Audi's, I did not mention OEM first time around and consequently got one that distorted for 6 inches all the way along the botom, and they broke one of the cowels near the wipers...

It took 3 windscreens and eventually they got it right...!

Saracen might be along soon - had this problem on his new IS250SE-L I recall...? He went to Autowindscreens and they did a good job...

or is it worth leaving it just now??? we are only talking to little chips, looks like the windscreen has been poked with a pen!!!

like i said mate, i left mine overnight and its turned into a massive crack.

its up to you at the end of the day, but i wouldn't run the risk TBH :D

or is it worth leaving it just now??? we are only talking to little chips, looks like the windscreen has been poked with a pen!!!

I'd just drive into the RAC screen place. If they think it's gonna creep, they'll fill it with a resin (like Supaglu) and that'll be it. You'll probably never notice it again.

If your ankering for a new screen, leave and let it creep...I prefer to leave things on a new car as close to factory original as possible...dunno...just a personal thing!

Basically, if it's Directline you'll have no problems - just call Auto windscreens - they even contact your insurance company for you!! They will advise if a new one (£60 excess) or repair (free to you) is appropriate.

If they say replace, insist on OEM (Original) as the IS has things like the Wiper De-icer at the base of the screen), and if it's not extortionate get an OEM one with a tint band at the top (I miss that).

Insist you go to them (even though them coming to you seems attractive) - from my experience, they bring half the tools and will not do the work if it's too cold or raining. They need access to your garage if you have one. When they replaced my Audi's, I did not mention OEM first time around and consequently got one that distorted for 6 inches all the way along the botom, and they broke one of the cowels near the wipers...

It took 3 windscreens and eventually they got it right...!

Saracen might be along soon - had this problem on his new IS250SE-L I recall...? He went to Autowindscreens and they did a good job...

Ta Daaaa!

I had a little crack in the windscreen of the SE-L Auto which got bigger with the cold weather. I didn't really want to get it changed as like Jamboo I wanted to keep the car as original as poss. I had it changed at an Auto Windscreens who supplied original Lexus glass, but that is only because there was at the time no alternative as the model is so new.

Although they did a very good job I think that there is slightly increased wind/road noise but my other half tells me I'm imagining it. I'll get Lexus to check when it's next in for a service.

As others have said if poss get the windscreen fixed rather than replaced and if it is replaced take it to them and watch everthing they do!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links