Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Driving Is25 D

HI Just a query to the diesel owners out there Do you find that in town you are using 2nd from a deaed start( flat road) And only 3rd for driving ( in town) as 4thonly becomes viable at 40 mph or faster Do these odd gear ratios annoy as they are so different compared to other 2l diesels?

thanks

alan

HI Just a query to the diesel owners out there Do you find that in town you are using 2nd from a deaed start( flat road) And only 3rd for driving ( in town) as 4thonly becomes viable at 40 mph or faster Do these odd gear ratios annoy as they are so different compared to other 2l diesels?

thanks

alan

Do you own the diesel? because the thread title is 25 d not IS220d? and you own a IS250 auto (according to your profile)?

Have you checked under the bonnet? :D

thanks

alan

Do you own the diesel? because the thread title is 25 d not IS220d? and you own a IS250 auto (according to your profile)?

Have you checked under the bonnet? :D

HI sorry for the title error Yes I own a250 IS auto but we are looking at buying a 220 d for the company I test drove one yesterday and was just a little concerned about the gear ratios We have tested a few other 2l diesels but none have these ratios Could just require getting used to

alan

thanks

alan

Hi Alan, the 220d does take some getting used to! You might find the gearing in the 220d sport better, although I have never driven the sport.

thanks

alan

Hi Alan, the 220d does take some getting used to! You might find the gearing in the 220d sport better, although I have never driven the sport.

Do you find 6th almost useless and what about 30 mph ..is that 3rd

alan

Do you find 6th almost useless and what about 30 mph ..is that 3rd

alan

Yes, unless you're breaking the speed limit on the motorway :whistling:

30 mph is always 3rd gear, 4th gear is 40 mph and above.

Hi,

I have only driven the IS220d Sport, not the standard 220d, and it was only in an hours test drive. Mine arrives on 13th May ;-)

The gearing in the sport has a different final drive ratio.

I found that I could use 6th easily from 60mph. TBH I didn't find the gearing a problem, and I currently own a 2.0ltr diesel Citroen C4.

The dealer said he'd never driven the Sport diesel until he came out with me, but said 60 in 6th wouldn't be possible in the other trim levels on the IS220d.

Hi,

I have only driven the IS220d Sport, not the standard 220d, and it was only in an hours test drive. Mine arrives on 13th May ;-)

The gearing in the sport has a different final drive ratio.

I found that I could use 6th easily from 60mph. TBH I didn't find the gearing a problem, and I currently own a 2.0ltr diesel Citroen C4.

The dealer said he'd never driven the Sport diesel until he came out with me, but said 60 in 6th wouldn't be possible in the other trim levels on the IS220d.

In my test drive I drove at 70 in 6th 1500rpm...the car was sitting OK (IS220d base). Uts only when I read the manual I came to realise I should have been in 5th!

Anyway, in reality 70 in 6th means a lot of vibration at anything other than down hill...the rear view mirror is almost unusable - it's that bad! The manual states 75+MPH which for the UK means some roads in the Isle of Man!

I hadn't "tested" the test drive long enough.

I'm used to the gearing now; it's plain tall. Simple. You have to be in a gear lower than you would in any other diesel in this range/class. Once I have 10,000 on the ODO I will use 6th more often, assuming I still have it!

I reckon the Sport will be much better to drive, but the economy could be worse, unless you can drive it in higher gear and let the torque do the talking!!

I've said this before but I think Lexus have slotted a huge turbo to give it the greatest BHP/Torque and dabbled with the final drive to make it more economical, and in some ways failed both and delivered a "strange" driving experience!! Scott mentioned this - I agree - I think a Sport would have been far better!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links