Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance

IanB

Just booked my car in for a 40K service at local Lexus dealer. When I asked about a loan car, I was told I'd have to arrange to swap my own insurance onto the loan car for the day, although I was warned that not all insurance companies make this process easy.

However, they also offered to pick up and deliver my car from my home instead, which since I won't need a car that day suits me fine.

Does anyone know if this is normal for loan cars, and does it apply to test drives too? I haven't asked my insurance company (Norwich Union) how easy it woud be to do this.

IanB :D

I've done this with both Norwich Union and Privilege (Directline) and its not been a problem with either - there is a certain allowance of days (60 days with Privilege) that are allocated for when you're car is having work done :)

However, for services I've always just been covered by the dealer's own policy, only when I had bodywork done, and was therefore going to keep the car for a while, that I had to insure it myself

Its harder to get insurance for a test drive though, when I bought the IS, I requested a weekend test drive, and I couldn't get insurance for it at all - hopefully things have changed now though ;)

However, for services I've always just been covered by the dealer's own policy, only when I had bodywork done, and was therefore going to keep the car for a while, that I had to insure it myself

Hmm. At least your dealer covered you. It seems Lexus Aberdeen's insurance doesn't extend to customers at all. It all used to be so much easier.

Glad to know NU will allow temporary cover though. Thanks for that. At least I should be able to cover a test drive when the time comes... :)

Cheers,

on most insurance policies, if you have fully comp insurance, you can drive another (someone else's) car under 3rd party insurance, providing they (the owner) have given you permission. couldn't this be applied to loan cars from lexus dealerships who will not/do not provide their own insurance for their cars?

on most insurance policies, if you have fully comp insurance, you can drive another (someone else's) car under 3rd party insurance, providing they (the owner) have given you permission. couldn't this be applied to loan cars from lexus dealerships who will not/do not provide their own insurance for their cars?

I think you'll find that they insist that the loan car is covered for fully comprehensive risks.

I think you'll find that they insist that the loan car is covered for fully comprehensive risks.

good point...hadn't thought of that

Yes Mike, I'm sure you're right. My dealer would have suggested it otherwise. I wouldn't fancy being saddled with a big bill for an accidental slip :o

I've had loads of loan cars during serving over the past 4 years, insurance never even been mentioned that I can remember. When I got a replacement IS through insurance after mine was hit by a carpet I don't even recall it being an issue then either.

I've had loads of loan cars during serving over the past 4 years, insurance never even been mentioned that I can remember. When I got a replacement IS through insurance after mine was hit by a carpet I don't even recall it being an issue then either.

Seems to depend on the dealer. Some do and some don't. You're lucky with yours apparently, or maybe I'm just unlucky :blink:

Spotted this a couple of days ago whilst researching insurance for test-driving cars for sale privately, now that my Lex has been declared uneconomical to repair :crybaby:

Norwich Union will do you a 1 day insurance on anything under £40k (if it's below insurance group 18) for £10.50 - with a few fairly simple requirements; see below:

http://www.norwichunion.com/short-term-insurance/index.htm

blimey, every dealer i've been to just hands over the keys to the courtesy car with no questions asked, that includes bolton, stockport and leicester.

Oh dear. Looks like we are unlucky up here then :sad:

One thing's for sure. I wouldn't buy from a dealer without a test drive, so any obstacle put in my way is just likely to drive me elsewhere. Wonder if Edinburgh or Glasgow are as picky as Aberdeen?

It's always worth asking the dealer about insurance and if the dealer does insure you what is the excess. It will all be written in the form you have to sign but how many people will read that when you are in a hurry?

I know Guildford don't insure their loan cars and only some of their demonstrators (the cheaper ones).

Reading do insure their loan cars, don't know what the excess is though.

i should think edinburgh will look after you mate

I swapped my custom from Aberdeen to Edinburgh for servicing. Best move I've made, service department is excellent - IMO Aberdeen went rapidly downhill once Arnie took over the franchise.

Parked at Glasgow once but immediately put off by the kids playing cricket in the car park!! - no joke.

I swapped my custom from Aberdeen to Edinburgh for servicing. Best move I've made, service department is excellent - IMO Aberdeen went rapidly downhill once Arnie took over the franchise.

Parked at Glasgow once but immediately put off by the kids playing cricket in the car park!! - no joke.

Hmm, interesting!

My car's going into Aberdeen tomorrow for 40k, so I'll see how it goes. Watch this space........

Reading do insure their loan cars, don't know what the excess is though.

I had my car serviced in Reading last week and they gave me an IS250 as a loan car, they supply the insurance with a £500 excess which I had to sign a form for.

:D :D :D

Have a feeling this £500 excess on loan car insurance is something that has come in recently for the motor trade in general. I had a loan car at an independent dealer near Warwick in February and nothing was said about any excess when I took the loan car. Went back to get the job finished two weeks ago and they pulled out a big form and said that as it was a "motor trade policy" there was now an excess of £500. If it had not been that the job was going to take 4 hours and I had the wife and kid with me I would have stayed in their waiting room particularly as the loan car was a manual and I am used to automatics.This is now putting me off having a loan car under any circumstances. You only need some prat to open a door too hard in a multi story car park and dent the door of your (their) nice shiny GS 300 and you will have blown a large part of the excess if not all of it. I know that you are always taking that chance but £500 compares very bady with the £250 excess on my own policy. As my wife has a car she doesn't use alot in the week I will be asking them in advance if there is an excess and using hers if necessary in future!

My car's going into Aberdeen tomorrow for 40k, so I'll see how it goes. Watch this space........

.......and the answer is - fine :)

My car was taken to and from my door (50 miles round trip).

Service done as per quote. However, rear discs were found to be scored and rusted, so that bumped up the price to £540, but I have to say I'm satisfied overall with the service from Derek at Aberdeen Lexus.

Did get clarity on their loan car policy though. Test drives are no problem as long as one of their people are in the car. But if I want to take a car out myself then I have to cover it with my own insurance.

So their IS250 demonstrator sat on my drive all day, going nowhere. Shame :blink:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links