Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thorn Between Japanese And The Germans

I am considering replacing my IS200SE soon for something a bit bigger and similar spec and with more power.

I like the new GS and the E – class.

However, I am not a fun of the German motors but quite like the E- 240. I find the new GS and IS well over priced.

What will you go for? I know this is a Lexus forum so people will be biased!

I am considering replacing my IS200SE soon for something a bit bigger and similar spec and with more power.

I like the new GS and the E – class.

However, I am not a fun of the German motors but quite like the E- 240. I find the new GS and IS well over priced.

What will you go for? I know this is a Lexus forum so people will be biased!

My dad had exactly the same dilemma last summer, toss up between E-class and new GS. Between the two, the GS won hands down, better in every possible way before even factoring in price (not sure where you've got the GS being overpriced from - try get the same spec on the Merc and pay a lot more!)

Its nothing to do with being biased, the quality in the GS simply couldn't be matched in the E-class. All the switches and such were so weak, felt like you had to be really careful or you'd break something. Newer Mercs are much better, but with the E being part of the old breed, its still not quite up to scratch in my view

Only downsides to the GS was that I felt it had quite a bit of road noise, and the boot has an awful opening which I thought was ridiculous on a large saloon car.

These reasons are probably why we didn't end up buying either...... ;)

You've gotta remember that the GS is loaded with Kit and that would be my first choice. It's still relatively new so not that cheap. The E class is (IMHO) good to drive in petrol form and it would have to be an auto (the diesels are a bit rough - especially 220 CDI).

You can pick up an E240 Auto Elegance (new shape) with sensible miles 2nd hand for <£18k easy now, if you look around. New ones are plain expensive.

It's not a bad motor, but some of the engineering is 2nd rate (especially the electronics) and it will be expensive to fix if out of main dealer warranty.

If you are looking at new, then the E class is being face lifted for June - that might have the bugs ironed out of it and no matter what a dealer says, you should be looking at over 8% discount, so factor that in for demo ones too.

Final chapter is the Cust Sat for Merc's -they languish at the bottom of the pile nowadays...and my own Merc experience was very poor...

I agree My wife has an e class 2 years old many electronic gremlins Now all the wheels are corroding and Merc wont have a bit of it...The lower ball joints went a few months ago and it was a real fight to get it done under warranty..blamed her driving style!

They have lost custeomer service in a big way

alan

If nothing else the GS is far more exclusive. The brand new E Class are supposed to have tweaked on previous niggles but without sounding biased, its the new GS for me. Purely on the looks.

I had exactly the same dilema at the end of last year.

I'd already made my mind up it was going to be between a new E-Class or the new GS. I took both out on extended test drives WITHOUT the dealer sitting next to me. Then I did the same again with Mrs Ed. Now Mrs Ed is one of these people who is totally disinterested and unimpressed with cars. We took out the E-Class (E-240 with the six speed auto) and she said "Mmmmm.. it's okay I suppose" We then took out the new GS and after getting 300 yds down the road I got a "Wow, this is nice.... better than the Merc !!"

I ordered a GS 300 SE-L in Astral black and took delivery on March 1st. I love it and am glad I went for that over the German marque.

btw - Although I didn't buy thr car from Leicester, the dealer did say to me "What car are you going to compare it against" I told them an E-Class and they said "That's fine, just let us know what day and we can have an e-class here for you to drive and do a side by side comparison - Take the E-class out then come back here and jump in the GS and take that out" Couldn't ask for more than that !!!

Happy shopping.... Go on... Go for the GS... you know you want to :winky:

The Editor

P.S I already have a Merc and quite frankly it's had more than it's fair share of time back at the dealers

P.P.S - The other thing the GS gets is loads more attention !! E-Classes are two a penny and nobody gives them a second look. You won' believe the glances the GS gets !! :D

Mate, I suggest you DRIVE both cars and weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. Everyone has their own story to tell with regard to ownership experiences. Go with your gut feeling. Both the E class and GS are wonderful cars, it's just a matter of working out which one is best for your own needs.

Having said that, load up the German cars to the same spec as a standard Lexus and watch the German car price go through the roof!

No bloomin' leccy memory seats as standard on E class and 5 series. Crap if you ask me.

btw - Although I didn't buy thr car from Leicester, the dealer did say to me "What car are you going to compare it against" I told them an E-Class and they said "That's fine, just let us know what day and we can have an e-class here for you to drive and do a side by side comparison - Take the E-class out then come back here and jump in the GS and take that out" Couldn't ask for more than that !!!

Wow...Sytner Leicester own both BMW and Lexus dealers here, and neither offered me that facility...

:lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links