Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sub Louder With Boot Open

i was playing with my sounds today and i found when my boot was open its sooooo much louder dunno why, my sub faces through the ski hatch it seems like its suffocating somehow then when boots open it gets the air it needs.

Anyone no whats going on and how i can make it better

Cheers Elliott

It's louder because it's breathing more air........

Suggestion:

Drive around with your boot lid open if you enjoy it so much :blink:

I was thinking about it, but i was hoping for a more proffessional opinion as i would like people with sound engineering experience before they qualify to speak much sense in this thread :huh:

1. is the speaker in phase, reversed polarity will cause the speaker to invert i.e. push the sound out of the rear of the speaker rather than the front.

there is an easy way to check, use a 1.5v (no bigger) Battery (aa, c, d etc.) touch pos to pos wire , neg to neg wire, if the speaker pops out, it is wired correct, if it pops in, it is out of phase, only do a 'touch' test, no more than 1sec to prevent speaker damage, you'll need to bypass any caps, and never do this test to tweeters.

assuming 1 is correct

2.try turning the sub around away from the ski-hatch, heavy bass moves a lot of air, and the shape of the hatch could be spoiling the air movement .

i was playing with my sounds today and i found when my boot was open its sooooo much louder dunno why, my sub faces through the ski hatch it seems like its suffocating somehow then when boots open it gets the air it needs.

Anyone no whats going on and how i can make it better

Cheers Elliott

Sub firing through isn't going to be the loudest setup in the IS200.

Effectively you are tying to displace the air in the cabin area. 1 12" will not do that and give you maaahoosive output.

Pointing the sub into the boot will be louder, less air to compress = more SPL.

Your probably wondering why i didn't do this in my Tez? SQ. I'm not bothered with SPL in there, i just was sub bass (40hz-18hz)

Agreed with Bulldog on speakers, rears are ok for some ambience, but money is better spent on creating a better sound stage up front and good amplification.

i'm not sure i understand this... (i'm planning to add a sub in the future, so it would be good to know the logistics of it, before i start buying expensive stuff and wasting my money).

- pointing the sub into the boot makes it louder for the people in the cabin? or just makes it louder in the boot?

- how would one get the sound into the cabin, with a not so powerful sub, and maintain an excellent quality of audio? for me volume is not an issue, as i don't plan on competing with the big boys.

(my initial paper drawings were 2 ports through the ski hatch, with a sub facing across the boot)

:yawn:

Niraj,

it really is a suck it and see situation. I didn't test any other way, but used past experience from working on saloon cars.

Saloons with the concealed boot is like its own box, which is completely sealed from the cabin area. However, like a normal car (hatchback) the pressure waves don't make it into the cabin. The Saloons are normally 6dB+ quieter. Firing through ski hatch might well be further 3-6dB quieter ontop.

Firing toward the tailgate, will be loudest. The boots air space is less than cabins, it will pressurise this air faster and quicker resulting in more SPL. The sound waves will make it into the cabin, just not as easily as the hatchback type car would.

Ports on the rear deck would work, but you can loose some output with the ports not being on the same baffle as the sub.

The very best and effective way of getting bass into a saloon? IB setup (infinite baffle or Free air)

You will need a special woofer to work using the entire boot space as the enclosure. These certainly won't give u ear bleeding output, but the response is by far the best.

Cheers Am,

great response, very detailed... now i guess it's down to me, with the equipment i buy, and the air volume space i use.

i have a feeling, that my best bet will be to fully seal the boot area, and use the sub to pressurise the air in their.

the only question i have now, is what is the most efficient way in this circumstance to get the sound waves to travel from rear to the cabin?

I know sound deadening, will keep the sound waves locked in... which is great for efficiency... are there any other things i could do?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links