Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Need Some Helps

Hi everyone.

just a short question, i currently using 215/45/17 in the front, 235/40/17 in the rear on my IS200 SE, apprently the front tyres are bigger than the rears. just wondering are there any potential problems by using this set-up?

also, i am going to lower the car 35mm, by using HKS lowering springs, after that, i wanna get a new set of tyres, im now considering using 215/40/17(front) and 235/45/17(rear). could anyone gimme some advices on the new setting?

thanks in advance.

simon

If I remember right, the second number, /40 or /45, is a percentual related of the size, then the 215/45 should be 96,75 and the 235/40 should be 93,6... and so on :) with your current tyre size I would consider put a 245/40 on the rear, to correct it (remember more you increase the tyres, less you accelerate)

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Hi everyone.

just a short question, i currently using 215/45/17 in the front, 235/40/17 in the rear on my IS200 SE, apprently the front tyres are bigger than the rears. just wondering are there any potential problems by using this set-up?

Hi Simon,

I'm surprised no-one has made the comment but I've always thought that using different size tyres is illegal unless specified as standard fit by the manufacturer and could possibly invalidate your insurance?

I'm a little confused by this thread - all the alloys on the IS are the same size so can you safely fit a width of 215 and 235 on the same rim? Won't the tyre be much wider than the wheel?

The tyre size for the standard alloys is 215/45/17 all round - don't know how much these numbers can be fiddled about with.....

the 2nd part of the tyre number is the sidewall height as a percentage of the width of the tyre.

using different size tyres is not illegal in the UK providing it is not on the same axle, - for insurance they should be informed.

the 235 tyre is far too big to be on the standard rim although it will fit.

but why would you want a 235 on the rear anyway - apart from looks

using different size tyres is not illegal in the UK providing it is not on the same axle

If what you say is correct then surely it follows that using most types of spacesaver spare tyre must be illegal too. I'm surprised manufacturers are allowed to supply cars with this type of spare for the UK market if that is the case.

using different size tyres is not illegal in the UK providing it is not on the same axle

If what you say is correct then surely it follows that using most types of spacesaver spare tyre must be illegal too. I'm surprised manufacturers are allowed to supply cars with this type of spare for the UK market if that is the case.

FOR MOT purposes

in fact 235 on the rear was setup by the previous owner when i bought this car 6 months ago, and i never change the rears since i have bought it.

i dun think using different size tyres is illegal in this country, one of my mate use 265 tyres on the rear + 235 on the front on his RX7

however, i think wide tyres on the rear provide better traction, as the car is FR. so it would be better using 235 on the rear.

well thats only what i guess, so if it looks silly please point out..

many thanks

btw.. P38Aaron, your car looks great after lowered, just cant wait to get my lowering spring.. : )

Anyway I use GoodYear Eagle F1 GSD3's all round and soon to have Nokian WR for winters (i live out in the sticks)

In the past i have had Uniroyal Rainsports and even now i think they take some beating! however I don't know what they would be like on a RWD car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links