Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting A Supercharger

Think iam going to take advantage and buy one of tdi's superchargers in the next week was wondering though how difficult they would be to fit. I know alot of people seem to have done it themselves, I have a basic understanding, but wonder if thats enough :duh:

Think iam going to take advantage and buy one of tdi's superchargers in the next week was wondering though how difficult they would be to fit. I know alot of people seem to have done it themselves, I have a basic understanding, but wonder if thats enough :duh:

i was going to get one, a few guy fit one in a field in 7 hours at JAE, if you've got a weekend im sure you could do it, its all bolt on stuff, dont think theres any oil lines to fit either, other ppl will come along to correct me if im wrong

I am also considering a super charger but not sure if I have the fundage (is that a word???) at the moment. If you're talking about their eBay advert I hope you noticed it said in the text that VAT wasn't included in the buy it now price. Anyone know how much it costs to get TDI to fit it?

Also, my car is totally standard (engine-wise). Is there anything else needed to be done or is this kit come with everything you need?

And how much does this add onto the insurance?

is there any special tools ill need to add to the tool kit before i start apart from the standard stuff

A 5 point security tool to get at the ECU which are a complete PITA to get hold of - there are ways round this though :winky:

i bought a set of special security bits for just about everything i need as a joiner and believe me i come across a lot of them, but yeh i got it from my local tesco for a fiver with about 30 different ones in the pack, dont know if this would have the tool you need but i imagine it would.

Fitting took myself and my flat mate about 6 hours, with the most MASSIVE HANGOVERS from hell. (and that included an hour KFC break coz we were feeling rough a s****)

Insurnace went from about £400 ish to about £600 ish a year.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!

i think there normally called Torx bits but you can get then at any hardware store pretty cheap.

NO YOU CAN NOT - IT IS A SPECIAL SECURITY BIT AND YOU CANT GET THEM FROM A DIY SHOP.

CUT A SLOT IN THE SCREW AND USE A NORMAL SCREWDRIVER

i think there normally called Torx bits but you can get then at any hardware store pretty cheap.

NO YOU CAN NOT - IT IS A SPECIAL SECURITY BIT AND YOU CANT GET THEM FROM A DIY SHOP.

CUT A SLOT IN THE SCREW AND USE A NORMAL SCREWDRIVER

Rob is correct here i'm afraid!! I searched everywhere for this bit...and I mean everywhere, in the end I ordered one from a friend who works for Snap-On...even he said they are as rare as rocking horse poop!!

As for fitting the S/C, with a spare pair of hands and no instruction manual it took me about 7 hours!

Make sure you have also have a basic tool collection to hand...socket sets, alan keys, pliers, some heavy duty cutters or a junior hacksaw and a hammer...hammer helps when you skin your knuckles!! :lol:

Check your ecu box before you buy anything.

Mine was just a torx screw...

Do you have an older IS200? I was told they changed from a normal 6 point torx to the 5 point with a hole in the middle at a later date (baceause every man and his dog has torx bits now).

The five point ones as i understand are only made by Toyota/Lexus. I tried phoning my local toyota dealership to borrow them - for cash - but they were having none of it :yawn:

well i've picked up my charger from tdi and making a start this morning, only got as far as the bracket and iam in the :tsktsk: already, so hats off to all you have completed it yourself another hour i reckon then it maybe time to abandon mission

well i've picked up my charger from tdi and making a start this morning, only got as far as the bracket and iam in the :tsktsk: already, so hats off to all you have completed it yourself another hour i reckon then it maybe time to abandon mission

What you having problems with ?

well the charger is in and running, did it over a couple of evenings, all told 10-11 hours i reckon but seems well easy now you know how :) . Got to say a big thanks to gordon for the advice on the phone several time saver tips there.

Well whats the difference m8???

Is it worth the dosh???

:D :hehe: :D

Your a funny guy

If you can afford one then there is no reason not to have one. The fun you'll get is well worth the money.

well the charger is in and running, did it over a couple of evenings, all told 10-11 hours i reckon but seems well easy now you know how :) . Got to say a big thanks to gordon for the advice on the phone several time saver tips there.

Nice one mate, welcome to the S/C club. Any pics??

Gord is a top bloke, always willing to help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links