Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220d

hi

i currently have a is 200se which i have had for 4years from new,i am now thinking of changing to a new is 220d and have a test drive booked in a weeks time for the diesel model,

iam going for the diesel just because of the fuel econpmy as i had a petrol one for two weeks whilst mine was in for repair and it drank petrol, any one got any advise on what to expect from the diesel model?

also i have been told that due to a shortage of cars it may be march for delivery?

The things to expect from the diesel model are well documented on here, main points...

Very noisy from start up on the outside, but nice and quiet on the inside.

Engine has slight vibration at idle but really smooths out on the go

No power before around 1600 rpm then typical turbo derv thump. This can make it feel sluggish off the mark but sit at around 35 in 3rd and floor it and you'll be at 90 (where laws allow obviously B) ) in no time. Overtaking is hilarious, it just pulls and pulls - they are so much faster than a standard 200, especially when you're moving.

Fuel consumption is best considered 'satisfactory'. You'll be lucky to see a rolling average of 40 if you give it any sort of welly, considering the germans can average around 50 this is a major failing.

Build quality is superb, the amount of kit is staggering, give the stereo some welly and hold on tight! It is VERY loud.

You'll love it!

thanks for advice

im thinking of going for black as they have one in the showroom which looks great any thoughts on colours?

I've got a back IS220d and it is a great colour. However, they pick up plenty of stone chips (just like the old IS), but the white primer shows through which is a problem. Might be worth getting some film for the front which is what I will do next time.

thanks for the advice on colour,is yours the metalic black? and can you get the film fitted from lexus? or are there many companys that do it, as i know what you mean about the old IS mine has a few on the bonnet any idea on cost

thanks for the advice on colour,is yours the metalic black? and can you get the film fitted from lexus? or are there many companys that do it, as i know what you mean about the old IS mine has a few on the bonnet any idea on cost

I've got the non-metalic black. With regards to the film I'd have a look at someone like Airstream although I have no experience of their products, also eBay is a good choice but I'd personally steer away from the cheap kits and I'd also go with professional fitting but that's because I'm crap when it comes to something like this :)

If you find the gearing a bit odd in a base/SE/SE-L then try the IS220d Sport - the gear ratio is much better both low down and also allows you to cruise comfortably in 6th at 70. Fuel consumption is probably not as good but I'm not sure I could have lived with an SE which was my original choice.

I like my Mesa Red. I'd have gone for silver or black too. Probably best avoid the metalic green vomit etc. They seem to have trouble shifting them so I guess so will you second hand.

If you go for an ex-demonstrator/courtesy/staff car then you should be able to pick one up when you want at a few thousand off the list price. Thats what I did. I bought a 3 month old / 4500 mile one for £3,500 off the price new.

In the same possition as you Simon and like yourself I am looking for a diesel sport. Had many test drives of IS250 manuals and autos and the sport version i find better. Diesel sport is the one for me and I am waiting for the right ex-demo in Red to arrive, but few and far between with satnav and sun-roof. Black looks stunning but paint chips show easily. Good hunting.

I would have to agree with all comments here. I have the IS220d sport in black. It is different to the others in the range with a different gear box and seems quicker. Black? It does show all the scratches and dirt. I love the car in black especially when it has just been washed :D (takes me about 2 hours and the 18" wheels take just as long :unsure: )

I wanted it in Red, but an ex-demo came up in black so I took it :D

The stuff about speed is so true, with the low end take off slow, but once that turbo kicks in you will be through the gears in no time......

This is my first Lex and I love it!

thanks for all the advice, i will see how i get on with the test drive next weeek.anyone know what the going rate is for my current car is for a p/x? its a is 200 se 02 plate 63000 miles when i booked the test drive the salesman said they would offer me £8500 which i thought was very good as i have looked in parkers and on the internet and they seem to be going for less than that.

thanks for all the advice, i will see how i get on with the test drive next weeek.anyone know what the going rate is for my current car is for a p/x? its a is 200 se 02 plate 63000 miles when i booked the test drive the salesman said they would offer me £8500 which i thought was very good as i have looked in parkers and on the internet and they seem to be going for less than that.

Not sure on whether that's a good price or not but the dealer will make his margins no matter what - good trade in & no discount or bad trade in & discount off the sticker price - swings and roundabouts really!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links